Tetanus Injection

General Udon Thani topics only!
haggis087
udonmap.com

Tetanus Injection

Post by haggis087 » July 15, 2019, 6:05 pm

Hello again knowledgeable members!

Can anyone please give me advice on getting a Tetanus injection/ shot in Udon?
Left it too late in the UK to get one and arrive again in Udon this week.

Thank you

Manxlad
udonmap.com

Re: Tetanus Injection

Post by Manxlad » July 15, 2019, 7:04 pm

Hi haggis, firstly have you ever had a tetanus toxoid course of any sort? If not then you need to follow the recommended guidelines as follows
An adult who's never been immunized against tetanus should complete the initial tetanus series of three tetanus shots. The first two shots are given at least four weeks apart, and the third shot is given six to 12 months after the second shot. After the initial tetanus series, booster shots are recommended every 10 years
If you just need a booster shot then any udon hospital will oblige but at a fee obviously, but if you’ve had previous course of shots correctly and your stillwithin the 10 years then it is probably ok unless your going out into the villages and helping on the farms etc then maybe a extra tet tox booster would be recommended
Hope this helps

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 15, 2019, 8:01 pm

I’ve previously had employment medicals done at Bangkok Hospital.
Last shot for tetanus was provided in raffles hospital singapore was a single shot combination of 3, tetanus, diphtheria and whooping cough. Looking at my vaccination book the name of that shot was called “Boostrix”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 15, 2019, 8:39 pm

Usually its polio tetanus diphtheria shots (2) had them at Wattana 4 weeks ago no problem and much cheaper than Bangkok Udon Hospital if you can wait the Government Hospitals also do them and much much cheaper. Clinics are not allowed to give these injections so my misses was told and we tried a few prior to going to Wattana who also updated my medical passport FOC

haggis087
udonmap.com

Post by haggis087 » July 15, 2019, 10:18 pm

Manxlad wrote:
July 15, 2019, 7:04 pm
Hi haggis, firstly have you ever had a tetanus toxoid course of any sort? If not then you need to follow the recommended guidelines as follows
An adult who's never been immunized against tetanus should complete the initial tetanus series of three tetanus shots. The first two shots are given at least four weeks apart, and the third shot is given six to 12 months after the second shot. After the initial tetanus series, booster shots are recommended every 10 years
If you just need a booster shot then any udon hospital will oblige but at a fee obviously, but if you’ve had previous course of shots correctly and your stillwithin the 10 years then it is probably ok unless your going out into the villages and helping on the farms etc then maybe a extra tet tox booster would be recommended
Hope this helps
That's great advice and very comprehensive. Managed to check my medical records today and my last full course of injections was way back in 2004!!
So well beyond the recommended 10 years. Do you think I will have to take another 'full course'?
Thanks for your and others replies :)

Manxlad
udonmap.com

Post by Manxlad » July 16, 2019, 5:52 am

Hi haggis, the answer is no you don’t need to have a full course
You can have another single shot on arrival if it is really worrying you, this will give you a top up immunity The good news is, if you had the full series of tetanus vaccine doses as a child or, for those over age 30, any booster in the past several decades, you likely have nothing to worry about. Instead of getting a tetanus booster every 10 years as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention currently recommends for adults, a new study suggests immunity from the vaccine lasts at least 30 years. That goes for protection against both tetanus and diphtheria, the other disease that the Td booster protects against
Again I hope this advice helps

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”