Udon Thani International Airport

General Udon Thani topics only!
saint
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani International Airport

Post by saint » July 21, 2019, 5:24 am

Earnest wrote:
July 20, 2019, 6:09 pm
Yes, as good a theory as any, I suppose. Although, if I use my wife's modest property renting portfolio as a measure then I would say prosperity is picking up this year? But yes, opening up UTH as an international hub would open up more business for the region.
jackspratt wrote:
July 20, 2019, 5:45 pm
You don't seem to be doing a very good job of keeping the loonies in line, on the other side. 8-[
OK, I'll try harder, old chap. :D
They do not want more businesses opening up here . No more than they want a good education system .
Keep the peasants poor and subservient , thats the golden rule , otherwise who will grow the rice , that makes the rich rice millers richer .
Unfortunately since a certain individual passed , i see this region only suffering more .

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » July 21, 2019, 6:16 am

Sadly you are spot on with your assessment. It is not just about keeping the 'peasants' as you call them poor, but also in debt.So many 'loan, agencies springing up. They advertise by showing the car and motorbike books on the billboards along with smiling faces and as most poor Thais only live for today , thinking of future repayments were not even considered.
When Issan had many working farangs , 3 months on and off with girlfriends and wives , money was plentiful and families had extra cash and could travel to Bangkok to protest on the streets. After the coup visas were severely restricted, Before if you were 50 years old and could provide 65,000 bt. a month ,a non imm. 1 year O visa was possible . That abruptly changed. It was IMO a cold and calculated plan to impoverish Issan in retaliation for putting 4 administrations in power that were perceived a threat to the Bangkok's ruling elite.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » July 21, 2019, 10:05 am

In my opinion the mail reason udon airport is busy is simply because the bus and train fares are now so expensive it is just as cheap to fly .Even a 2nd class seat on the train is 500baht . The last time i caught a vip bus ,cost me 700 baht and was a nightmare . aircon not work , seat was broken would not recline . Drivers kept going off route to drop off bags of something . Took 13 hours . Next time i flew air asia for 690 baht , 1 hour . The thais were slow but mostly all know this now . Even my wifes family and young people going to bkk for work now fly .
I have a flight to utapao in october for me , my wife and 2 boys . return 8,000 baht . Last time i caught anoth terrible bus from udon to rayong cost me 788 baht , took 17 hours
Unless you are travelling 3rd class no point ever catching a train or bus . The main passengers at udon are now thais going to bkk or chon buri to work . I do not think many will use international flights

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 21, 2019, 10:33 am

The finances of Isaan are buoyed by a handful of philanthropic tool pushers out on some hardscrabble rig in the middle of nowhere, gutting it out for the little miss and her dependent brood?

Wow. What a story.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 21, 2019, 10:36 am

Meanwhile, back at Udon Thani International Airport............

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 21, 2019, 11:26 am

jackspratt wrote:
July 21, 2019, 10:36 am
Jack, I Did send you a recommendation for a Hotel in Vientianne,But I See you never acknowledged it.... :shock:

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 21, 2019, 7:09 pm

so another airport planned near Bangkok? https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... 3#cxrecs_s
Seems it would make better sense to take the five airports identified by AOT as potential international entry/exit points (of which Udon is one) and using good travel statistics bring in international arriving passengers at the location nearest their final destination. In our case, Udon. I think it was AOT who surveyed arriving international passengers at Don Muang a couple of years ago and found a significant percentage (I think it was 23%) whose final destination was Udon.. All you need to do is figure out where they were coming from, or at least which "transit" airport (Seoul, Tokyo) produced the most passengers with a particular final destination and do some test flights over a few month period to sample demand.
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 21, 2019, 7:09 pm

Seoul would probably be a no-brainer since lots of Issan "little ghosts" want to go there..
Dave

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 22, 2019, 7:27 am

jackspratt wrote:
You must have some sort of time machine to take you back to 2006 or 2007 , when it was international ,sort of .
Because despite what it says in big red letters on the terminal building , it isnt .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 22, 2019, 8:33 am

747man wrote:
July 21, 2019, 11:26 am
jackspratt wrote:
Jack, I Did send you a recommendation for a Hotel in Vientianne,But I See you never acknowledged it.... :shock:
Thanks Alan - I missed that. A result, I guess, of your posts being delayed.

In the meantime I booked https://www.agoda.com/bloom-boutique-ho ... abbed=true for about TBH1100/night.

Now, back to Udon Thani International Airport............ :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 22, 2019, 1:05 pm

saint wrote:
July 22, 2019, 7:27 am
jackspratt wrote:
You must have some sort of time machine to take you back to 2006 or 2007 , when it was international ,sort of .
Because despite what it says in big red letters on the terminal building , it isnt .
No time machine necessary. As I recall, Bangkok Air flew to Seoul from Udon at about the same time as UD Town opened. It didn't last long. ...but international it has been

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 22, 2019, 1:21 pm

parrot wrote:
July 22, 2019, 1:05 pm
saint wrote:
July 22, 2019, 7:27 am
jackspratt wrote:
No time machine necessary. As I recall, Bangkok Air flew to Seoul from Udon at about the same time as UD Town opened. It didn't last long. ...but international it has been
I know , and Tiger flew Singapore . A play on the word back . To when it was international .

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 22, 2019, 2:10 pm

Actually it still is International.
There is still an International flight every week.
Only problem it is for Freight only.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » July 22, 2019, 10:42 pm

And I think there was a flight to Laos at some point. Luang Prabang?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 22, 2019, 10:43 pm

As well as the Tiger flight to Singapore, (some time later), there were flights to Luang Prabang, for a while.

Snap. Sorry yes, there were flights to Luang Prabang.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » July 22, 2019, 10:46 pm

Correct, one could fly Luang Prabang on a friday and return Sunday. A Great weekend.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 23, 2019, 10:01 am

It appears that you can't stop growth and progress. As for myself, I much preferred the old days of a small airport.

Three more airports that were once small and friendly have also grown. Krabi, Utapao and even Loei airport are unrecognizable from the old days. I'm sure there are even more.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 23, 2019, 1:36 pm

TJ wrote:
July 17, 2019, 10:36 am
Does Udon Thani truly suffer from the lack of an international airport? Is there a recognizable demand for such a facility? It may seem reasonable that it would benefit seaside cities that are tourist attractions. But Udon Thani?
Udon Thani... gateway to Loei.

Think outside the box a wee bit.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 23, 2019, 1:40 pm

joepai wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:55 pm
Anything is better than going via either of the BKK airports - also flying to Hanoi or Luang Prabang as examples, you fly down to BKK only to fly back over Udon, what a waste !
That exact routing worked for me during the Bangkok airport seizures by the yellow shirts. I got to Nha Trang a day later than planned but I didn't miss the boat!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 23, 2019, 1:41 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
July 17, 2019, 4:13 pm
...IMHO Flights to BKK then direct to PER on Thai International is and was the much better option!
Unless your final destination is Tassie.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”