Landscaping.

General Udon Thani topics only!
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Landscaping.

Post by mathusalah80 » July 18, 2019, 4:10 pm

In search of an experienced, reliable Gardner/Landscaper, able to provide and lay approximately 40m2 of good quality 'shade' grass. Can any member help please?
Thank you.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: Landscaping.

Post by dunroaming » July 19, 2019, 9:41 pm

We used the staff from the nursery they do landscaping heading to the airport from banjan keep left at the lights instead of turning right to the airport. Was either first or second nursery down on the left hand side good prices and didn't rush the job. He does many hotels etc and we'll recommended

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 22, 2019, 3:24 pm

Thanks Dunroaming. I followed up on your recommendation, and made contact with the owner (transliteration sounds like "Prasit"), whose telephone numbers are 087-5664722; ID.081-974-6846.
He attended the next day, (on time!), to see what work we wanted done, and gave us an acceptable price. He returned two days later.They completed in one and a half days the work which we had calculated would occupy one and a half to two days. We are delighted with the work, particularly the quality, and the laying down of the shade grass.
Although not cheap, I recommend his service and work unreservedly, and consider we received good value for our money.
Thanks again Dunroaming.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 22, 2019, 3:47 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
August 22, 2019, 3:24 pm
Thanks Dunroaming. I followed up on your recommendation, and made contact with the owner (transliteration sounds like "Prasit"), whose telephone numbers are 087-5664722; ID.081-974-6846.
He attended the next day, (on time!), to see what work we wanted done, and gave us an acceptable price. He returned two days later.They completed in one and a half days the work which we had calculated would occupy one and a half to two days. We are delighted with the work, particularly the quality, and the laying down of the shade grass.
Although not cheap, I recommend his service and work unreservedly, and consider we received good value for our money.
Thanks again Dunroaming.
His facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 386608120/

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 22, 2019, 4:13 pm

mathusalah80

Sorry I missed this original post by you, glad you got your grass. To keep this going as a landscape thread send a photo of the finished project. Once the lawn is placed then for the upkeep. You said shade grass, is this under a tree or along a shaded area of the house?

Since the house build is done my girl has slowly been landscaping the yard with grass, plants, herbs and trees. She has the green thumb not me, works hard and very keen to keep it in good condition. I'll attach a photo of the before and after of her lawn once the grass has taken and the rain comes. The lawn mower broke down a while back and the grass exploded in growth. I bought her a pair new sharp of clippers to keep it neat while the mower is out of action.
Many different types of trees now planted, palms, mango, advocado, lime and yesterday 8 small passion fruit vines from the nursery, all hopefully going well when I return.
I had her deliver some good quality soil from the nursery near the new overpass construction, that's where we buy most items, as I want to create a separate raised vege garden when I come back on my roster next week. If any one has hints on when is the best time to sow the vege seeds ( Tomato, broccoli, etc) would appreciate some feed back. I tried tomatoes a while back but wrong time, was when we had the last really hot dry spell couple of months back, I thought the soil would be delivered in bulk by a small tip truck, but they delivered bags. That's ok, can move them around easy on the trolley. She got 300 bags delivered to start with for spreading on her plant bases and also my vege garden. 10bht per bag.
Hope to get some feed back from UM's landscape and gardening experts.
Attachments
92a7ec13-a239-4c5b-af7c-a8953f95ead7.JPG
IMG_7496.jpg
IMG_7495.jpg
IMG_7538.jpg
fence16.jpg

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 22, 2019, 4:51 pm

Good day Barney, Very interesting, here we do have everything in POTS, all surfaces have been paved over. Few years ago we purchased, at the annual Thung Sri Muang fair few plants, GAC, ( fak kao ) good harvest last year, this year nothing, passion fruits we had few red and few yellow fruits vines, the red ones never produced, this month we have quite a few very sweet yellow passion fruits. Barney is it possible to post a picture of your top quality soil bags ? I would like to get the same. Where is the garden centre ? On the ring road across Tesco or near the Rangsina market ?
Thanks. Have a nice day.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 23, 2019, 3:08 pm

the-monk wrote:
August 22, 2019, 4:51 pm
Good day Barney, Very interesting, here we do have everything in POTS, all surfaces have been paved over. Few years ago we purchased, at the annual Thung Sri Muang fair few plants, GAC, ( fak kao ) good harvest last year, this year nothing, passion fruits we had few red and few yellow fruits vines, the red ones never produced, this month we have quite a few very sweet yellow passion fruits. Barney is it possible to post a picture of your top quality soil bags ? I would like to get the same. Where is the garden centre ? On the ring road across Tesco or near the Rangsina market ?
Thanks. Have a nice day.
the-monk
Yes from the garden centre nursery on the ring road. Around the back soi, GF always goes to the section on the boundary side of the road. Have attached photo of the bag. It is a different bag then when we have bought single bags at a time. Maybe this is the bulk supplier. The 10bht is for bulk bags and a bit more for single bag purchase. We have found the soil quality to be good.
We have overtime had many plants in pots but have plenty of land so just dig a hole ( well she does the digging, im just the trolley man) take em out of the pots and plant them with a good bag of soil and fertilizer when they look to be not performing and under stress. That was mainly with our avocados grown from seed, leaves went brown but kicked on once out of the pot.
Plants are reasonably cheap at the nursery so we don't worry to much if they don't make it, just pull em out and buy another one. I'm really hoping to get some results, but not being an experienced green fingered bloke we just hope for the best.
A lawn and a garden does make one get up early to beat the heat to maintain things and pick fruit and veg. My girl grows plenty of Thai veges ( lady fingers, small thai eggplants, herbs for kidney and blood sugar, aloe vera that she makes her facial moisture creams ) and when in bulk gives them away to the neighbours, or she invites a couple of the elderly close by aunties in to pick there own. They love it, as they are living on there own and to old now to grow and maintain there own gardens. They can spend an hour or so going through our little private jungle and also relax and have a chat, especially now the mother in law has built her house in the yard, I assume offering advice, gossiping and talking of the old days.
Attachments
84c6a7ea-e4bb-4058-a56f-f29ae58d60b1.jpg
e6d6e94e-e320-4daa-8139-dab1562e0d8f.JPG

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 23, 2019, 3:43 pm

Happy gardening... makes a happy family. Thanks a lot. Have a nice day

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 27, 2019, 1:17 pm

I think to have this thread become permanent and well supported by the garden lovers among us, would be great. Here's hoping.
In answer to your question, I chose shade grass mainly because I prefer to look of it to ordinary grass; although I was a little concerned the trees and bushes along the inner wall might adversely affect the latter.
Your Boss has made a great job of your garden Barney. Presumably you, like most of us ancients, hold the Executive joint positions of Supervisor/Financier, leaving the practical side to 'She who must be obeyed'!
Considering we have only a small block, (100sqw). think my Boss has done a great job, incorporating a sun lounge area, alfresco dining area, and a picturesque flower area complete with fountain.
Unfortunately, being virtually computer illiterate I haven't the faintest idea how to downsize and post photographs onto this thread. But if either you Dunroaming, or you Barney, are interested in undertaking that task, and pm to me your email address, I shall be happy to email the photos to you, for that purpose.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 27, 2019, 2:26 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
August 27, 2019, 1:17 pm
I think to have this thread become permanent and well supported by the garden lovers among us, would be great. Here's hoping.
In answer to your question, I chose shade grass mainly because I prefer to look of it to ordinary grass; although I was a little concerned the trees and bushes along the inner wall might adversely affect the latter.
Your Boss has made a great job of your garden Barney. Presumably you, like most of us ancients, hold the Executive joint positions of Supervisor/Financier, leaving the practical side to 'She who must be obeyed'!
Considering we have only a small block, (100sqw). think my Boss has done a great job, incorporating a sun lounge area, alfresco dining area, and a picturesque flower area complete with fountain.
Unfortunately, being virtually computer illiterate I haven't the faintest idea how to downsize and post photographs onto this thread. But if either you Dunroaming, or you Barney, are interested in undertaking that task, and pm to me your email address, I shall be happy to email the photos to you, for that purpose.
PM sent

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » September 2, 2019, 10:11 am

mathusalah80 wrote:

Barney has very kindly offered to downsize and post the photos. These I have now sent to him, for that purpose, so you should soon be seeing them..
Thanks Barney

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 2, 2019, 5:29 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
I have attached the photos of mathusalah80's property.
For a small house block he and his wife have done a tremendous job getting the most out of the available yard space. Plenty of privacy with the choice of plants and trees.
The new laid grass has come up a treat, good choice of grass.
Well done young man.
Attachments
thumbnail_DSCN0902.jpg
thumbnail_DSCN0901.jpg
thumbnail_DSCN0896.jpg
thumbnail_DSCN0895.jpg
thumbnail_DSCN0894.jpg

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » September 2, 2019, 5:38 pm

Congrats, a great job. On the last pic, you have a lattice at the back, what kind of Vine, you have climbing on the trellis ?
Thanks.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » September 5, 2019, 12:23 pm

the-monk wrote:
September 2, 2019, 5:38 pm
Congrats, a great job. On the last pic, you have a lattice at the back, what kind of Vine, you have climbing on the trellis ?
Thanks.
I am presuming you refer to the section immediately fronting the sun lounge windows. We did consider a trellis + creeping vine combination. But, on reflection decided that would enclose' an already small front garden area, as well as blocking out the view of the garden, from within the sun lounge. So we elected for the 3 trees and bush you can better see in the two updated photos, providing views looking inwards towards the house, and outwards from the sun lounge, which Barney will be posting very soon. Incidentally, if you wish to see the trees in their full majesty, take the opportunity to drive past St. Mary's Catholic School, where there is a line of them stretching along a length of about two hundred metres
In answer to a couple of other requests:
a)The upcoming post from Barney will include a photo showing the layout of the "side garden" incorporating the swing seat, sun loungers and alfresco dining setting, all benefitting form the shade provided by our four mango trees. The dining setting is situated immediately opposite our smaller kitchen, enabling easy service through the kitchen window.
b Yes, (as with you) the opposite side of the house provides only a width of about 26 inches between the house and the side boundary wall. Due to the raised car port base, there is a culvert running from the front gate to front of the house. We didn't want to enclose the garage, restrict the daylight into the garage or restrict access to the side of the house with bushes. The 'Boss' came up with the brilliant idea as shown by the two final photos, which represents all her own work from start to finish.
Finally, along this side of the house, there is installed a urinal and wash basin, against the occasions when we entertain friends, (mixed genders or males only), at which times this facility could be used by the males to avoid them constantly tramping in & out the house,while enabling our secondary house toilet room to be reserved solely for our female guests.
Hope I have managed to satisfy queries received, and that the information provided will prove of use to interested readers of this thread.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 5, 2019, 2:34 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
September 5, 2019, 12:23 pm
the-monk wrote:
September 2, 2019, 5:38 pm
Thanks.
I am presuming you refer to the section immediately fronting the sun lounge windows. We did consider a trellis + creeping vine combination. But, on reflection decided that would enclose' an already small front garden area, as well as blocking out the view of the garden, from within the sun lounge. So we elected for the 3 trees and bush you can better see in the two updated photos, providing views looking inwards towards the house, and outwards from the sun lounge, which Barney will be posting very soon. Incidentally, if you wish to see the trees in their full majesty, take the opportunity to drive past St. Mary's Catholic School, where there is a line of them stretching along a length of about two hundred metres
In answer to a couple of other requests:
a)The upcoming post from Barney will include a photo showing the layout of the "side garden" incorporating the swing seat, sun loungers and alfresco dining setting, all benefitting form the shade provided by our four mango trees. The dining setting is situated immediately opposite our smaller kitchen, enabling easy service through the kitchen window.
b Yes, (as with you) the opposite side of the house provides only a width of about 26 inches between the house and the side boundary wall. Due to the raised car port base, there is a culvert running from the front gate to front of the house. We didn't want to enclose the garage, restrict the daylight into the garage or restrict access to the side of the house with bushes. The 'Boss' came up with the brilliant idea as shown by the two final photos, which represents all her own work from start to finish.
Finally, along this side of the house, there is installed a urinal and wash basin, against the occasions when we entertain friends, (mixed genders or males only), at which times this facility could be used by the males to avoid them constantly tramping in & out the house,while enabling our secondary house toilet room to be reserved solely for our female guests.
Hope I have managed to satisfy queries received, and that the information provided will prove of use to interested readers of this thread.
Photos for Mathusalah80 to add to his prost description.
I must say this is a well kept yard. Especially if taken after the deluge we have been under recently.
Attachments
thumbnail_DSCN0912.jpg
thumbnail_DSCN0911.jpg
thumbnail_DSCN0910.jpg
thumbnail_DSCN0908.jpg
thumbnail_DSCN0811.jpg

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » September 5, 2019, 5:31 pm

Thanks appreciated

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 28, 2019, 3:24 pm

With Chris's recent posting about his flying bug in his yard, ID'd as "Stem Boring Bug", looked it up and appears to like fruit trees as a breeding and food source namely avocados and mango both of which I have planted recently. Chriss do you have any of these trees close by?
We only have juvenile trees at this stage, but it has me thinking now during the yard landscaping activities of planting said fruit trees and the wife's large Thai vegetable patch what type of critters will be attracted and what problems they will cause. I will be planting my vege garden soon on return and looking for advice on what bugs will move in. We do try to pride ourselves on not spraying or using poisons to control things. Organic is a common word but would just like to use natural products etc. When home Im out every morning looking for insect damage in the yard and removing bugs by hand. But I would think many bugs are in the soil and night dwellers?
Thinking serious about lychee and dragonfruit next. Is that a viable tree to grow in Isaan.

So i'll open it up if anyone is interested in providing their knowledge of insect control it would be appreciated. Be it sprays or products from a store or links to Thai gardening bug control. Will take some experimenting I know.
More than aware that there will be some sacrificial plants die during the growing period. Natural remedies will also not affect the already good insects and birds in the garden. Many butterflies, carpenter bees, honey bee type birds.
That's another subject though of identifying the insects, lizards and birds now moving in.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 28, 2019, 3:51 pm

This may be helpful for insect control.

http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/crop_protect ... sease.html

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 28, 2019, 3:55 pm

Late Oct-early March is a good time for things like lettuce, tomatoes, parsley, dill, mint. Past that time the hot weather is pretty brutal on those veggies.
You can grow Thai style eggplant pretty much all year. Likewise with chili peppers.
Pretty easy to grow lynchee, mango, papaya, lime, coconut, lemongrass, galangal, starfruit, santol, tamarind. You might have fruitflies with some of those trees, but not much you can do to prevent them other than covering individual fruits with plastic/newspaper......or spray.
Passionfruit is seasonal.......Aprilish to Octoberish. Pretty easy to grow, but needs support off the ground.
About 8 years ago, we surrendered our yard to white squirrels, bulbuls, chipmonks and other birds. We still get some fruit from the trees, but the squirrels are voracious eaters. As we go to the market a few times a week, it's easy enough to buy from there and cheap cheap cheap.
You'll likely have to deal with a wide variety of ants, aphids, stink bugs, and caterpillars. The caterpillars, like that in the photo, take up in our santol trees. They eat leaves.....never enough to do any damage, but they can poop up a storm when they get the size you see in the photo. They create large silken cocoons and giant Asian Moths eventually appear from them. The moths are incredibly beautiful.......they only live a few days and it's rare to see them fly much. This pair of mating moths was a few feet away from where we drink our morning cuppa.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » September 29, 2019, 2:17 am

Though I can not benefit from the information in this thread I did enjoy reading it. There was a wealth of information flowing among the contributors.

Isn't there a local gardening club or like organization in Udon Thani? There is certainly an interest that needs to be satisfied. Likely many of the posters would enjoy participating in, contributing time and sharing experiences in such an organization.

It seems a shame that this useful thread will likely disappear within a few weeks and be forgotten. There isn't any appropriate forum group to consolidate landscaping and gardening postings. Too bad.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”