Udon Smorgasbord

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Udon Smorgasbord

Post by parrot » July 26, 2019, 5:06 pm

Recent trip to Nonghan and outlying villages (Udon-Sam Prao-Nonghan-Udon-Nonghan-Udon)

I know the general sentiment is that the economy is in the doldrums......but there are plenty of red license plates on the roads.....from the smallest of cars to the highest luxury cars.

Three stops at different 7-11's for coffee (all at PTT stations). Hot cappuccino, freshly ground beans, brewed by the cup, 25 Baht. I wouldn't brag about the quality, but for the price and while on the road, it makes for a good cup of coffee.

Stopped at Bon Cafe (near Global) on the way home to pick up some fresh beans. The staff was conducting a seminar for potential investors (new coffee shops). There were about 40 seats and all were taken. In the 10 minutes I was there, 4 customers, besides me, came in to buy beans/ground coffee. One lady bought 10 500g bags of beans, I bought 3 250g bags. I could almost see $ (B) signs in some of the seminar attendee's eyes as the MC was expounding on the benefits of running a coffee shop.

Rajaphat University in Sam Prao......what's up with that? More and more buildings going up........but a dearth of cars/motorcycles in any of the parking lots. Some of the buildings are already showing signs of age......severely-fading paint/weeds/cracks. Something doesn't seem right.

My wife's home-village....a few km south of Nonghan.....all rice farmers still. But the roads are all paved, there's piped water and stable electric, no high-speed internet cables yet but the young folks have access to internet nonetheless. Several of the older wooden homes have been upgraded....nothing fancy, but for farmers they're pretty good. All in all, progress. All that said, they are beholden to the rain gods to survive another year.

If you don't have a lot of money to start a new business, you open a coffee shop. If you have wads of cash, you build a new hotel. Yet another sizable one going up on the upper reaches of Adunyadet Rd.

I used to think vocational students were the ones on motorcycles to avoid. Scratch that........Panda Food Delivery.....the ones with the pink baskets on the back of the bike......both men and women drivers. I'm only surprised I haven't read about a few lives lost. Beware!

the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Smorgasbord

Post by the-monk » July 26, 2019, 6:24 pm

Thanks Mr Parrot, as always very informative and entertaining presentation, why don t you do it on a weekly basis ? Of course with Mrs Parrot s consent and approval.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 27, 2019, 10:20 am

parrot wrote:
July 26, 2019, 5:06 pm

If you don't have a lot of money to start a new business, you open a coffee shop. If you have wads of cash, you build a new hotel. Yet another sizable one going up on the upper reaches of Adunyadet Rd.
Yes, interesting as always Parrot.

Coffee shops do indeed seem to be flavour of the month for the locals.

Out of interest, I did a small amount of research and was aghast to see the sort of prices Amazon (as an example) were looking at for a franchise. Cant really see how they make much money - particularly if the initial stake is a loan. I went in one this week at a PTT station on a main highway whilst waiting for new tyres to be fitted next door. In the hour that I was there only one other customer and 2 serving staff.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 27, 2019, 9:37 pm

parrot wrote:

Rajaphat University in Sam Prao......what's up with that? More and more buildings going up........but a dearth of cars/motorcycles in any of the parking lots. Some of the buildings are already showing signs of age......severely-fading paint/weeds/cracks. Something doesn't seem right.
Daughter lives on campus in Udon (compulsory for 1st year), business studies. Her dorm car park is always packed
I am independently poor

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 28, 2019, 6:11 am

Essex wrote:
July 27, 2019, 9:37 pm
parrot wrote:

Daughter lives on campus in Udon (compulsory for 1st year), business studies. Her dorm car park is always packed
We're talking, of course, government-type money here. I guess the Sam Phrao satellite campus was constructed because of overflow at the main site. I think it's probably necessary to make attendance there compulsory, because with its' location well out of town, few would opt to go there voluntarily! With the vastness of the site, the numbers of students, at least, looks sparse. Correct me if anyone knows differently, but I'd be surprised if the conference centre with that recognisable roof (can cater for 4,000?) is used often. Then we have the obigatory stadium - again, when is that used? Bizarrely, there's the bigger stadium just a stone's throw away, funded provincially?, now the home of Udon Thani FC - that, at least, sees a good attendance say every fortnight for some of the year. There's big money about to build 'something', really needed or not, but one rather feels it's an opportunity for some to fill their pockets.
I pass the large, attractive (IMO) building, intended youth court I believe, on the Udon-Nong Khai highway almost daily. To see any activity, other than the security guy, or cars in the parking area, is rare indeed.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 28, 2019, 9:33 am

Brian,

I have seen the big hall used quite a bit, Last Sunday all students had to attend some session (no idea what). I dropped daughter off early Sunday morning from weekend at home and the place was buzzing.
I am independently poor

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 28, 2019, 1:55 pm

Essex wrote:
July 28, 2019, 9:33 am
Brian,

I have seen the big hall used quite a bit, Last Sunday all students had to attend some session (no idea what). I dropped daughter off early Sunday morning from weekend at home and the place was buzzing.
Ok, Essex. Obviously, if there isn't an alternative gathering place for student functions, this big space can be used. I was under the impression, maybe wrongly, that the building was partly intended for 'outside' conferences and the like. Again, I wonder whether the distance from town means it isn't so attractive and a hotel like Centara is a more likely choice.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » July 28, 2019, 5:17 pm

the-monk wrote:
July 26, 2019, 6:24 pm
Thanks Mr Parrot, as always very informative and entertaining presentation, why don t you do it on a weekly basis ? Of course with Mrs Parrot s consent and approval.
Fantastic suggestion. =D> =D> =D> =D> Would definitely result in a much needed upgrade from the boring, repetitive, self serving Topics, of which there are currently an over abundance.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”