Trying to understand TM30 in Udon - if possible

General Udon Thani topics only!
frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Trying to understand TM30 in Udon - if possible

Post by frankieboy37 » August 21, 2019, 9:46 am

There are two “live” threads on this forum directly or indirectly about the TM30.
One started by myself which indicates that the TM30 is largely in absentia in these parts

Same, same at Udon immigration… well almost!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50487

but then the following thread
TM30 Clarification Received from Udonthani Immigration
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=49922

clearly shows the TM30 to be very much alive and well.

If it is possible to avoid the oft-repeated speculative statements relating to “anomalies” at immigration as to what is going on there does anybody really know what the current stance of Udon immigration really is to the TM30?

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Re: Trying to understand TM30 in Udon - if possible

Post by pf-flyer » August 21, 2019, 11:33 am

This attachment is what I understand so far.

[img][attachment=0]TM-30 Requirement.jpg[/attachment][/img]
Attachments
TM-30 Requirement.jpg
TM30 Requirement
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » August 21, 2019, 1:16 pm

pf-flyer wrote:
August 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Thanks for the picture, however I’m still at a loss regarding the 48hr notification.Put simply if I went to bkk and stayed in a hotel for 2 nights (short break) Is it not down to the hotel to report my whereabouts,or do I notify immigration ,or both?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 21, 2019, 1:49 pm

Cover ALL bases during this time of confusion

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 21, 2019, 2:33 pm

Why is the OP posting such an open, speculative question?

The TM30 requirements can vary due to personal circumstances. In some jurisdictions, it is not unknown for two people with broadly similar situations so be treated differently... on the same day... by the same officer. There's no one-size-fits-all answer although for the most part, the Udon Thani immigration office doesn't ask for one unless you are returning to a new or different address to the one 'on file'.

Anyway, since the OP already has posted a"live" TM30 question in the Immigration forum, I can't see what good opening a third one here will do.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 21, 2019, 2:34 pm

Chuchi wrote:
August 21, 2019, 1:16 pm
pf-flyer wrote:
August 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Thanks for the picture, however I’m still at a loss regarding the 48hr notification.Put simply if I went to bkk and stayed in a hotel for 2 nights (short break) Is it not down to the hotel to report my whereabouts,or do I notify immigration ,or both?
If you filled in a rego card at the hotel and they copied your passport details, your work is done.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 21, 2019, 2:34 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 21, 2019, 1:49 pm
Cover ALL bases during this time of confusion
There's NO confusion with regard to Udon Immigration's TM30 requirements.

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » August 21, 2019, 5:16 pm

Never thought I would actually get the confirmation I sought but thought I would give it one more whirl… and bingo thank you very much Tamada – I sign off on this subject thanks to you until such time as a new layer of confusion is emroidered in the tapestry which could always be tomorrow of course.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 21, 2019, 5:28 pm

Tamada
He isnt dealing with Udon Immigration (small and welcoming) he will be dealing with Bangkok Immigration where he is going for 2 days and therefore I would anticiptate confusion

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 21, 2019, 6:43 pm

Chuchi wrote:
I've traveled all over this kingdom at least a dozen times a year for over 10 years. I've never reported to anyone anywhere -- coming or going -- all that time in travels away from my primary residence in Thailand. Those with whom I've traveled have never reported either. No issue ever, and I've never heard of any expat having any issue.

However, I have heard of hotels being under the gun for failing to secure a copy of passports of traveling expats.

I'm sure when authorities need a catch-all reg to detain someone, they can always pull the trigger on that reg, but it's never happened to anyone I know, and I've never heard of it happening to anyone else.

Always remember, what happens for anyone today, may not happen for anyone tomorrow.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » August 21, 2019, 9:46 pm

I know dozens of people who are told to report to immigration even if sleeping in their neighbor's house for one night. YES.

Immigration wants each foreigner accounted for each night. If you're not at your place of residence, a report is required.

A one-night stay in a Udon Hotel requires a trip to the NK IO the next day, upon return. The hotel logs you in to their room for the night -- the foreigner must log himself back home the next day. Any travel that leaves a loop open is grounds for a fine or a valid reason to deny the next extension of stay.

A 2,000 baht fine awaits the unsuspecting homeowner (usually his wife). A nice little money spinner now that they've whittled the milking herd down to only the fat cows.

Also, hours after they pass through swampy immigration, they're required to report into the IO when they reach their home province.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 22, 2019, 6:32 am

Giggle wrote:
August 21, 2019, 9:46 pm
I know dozens of people who are told to report to immigration even if sleeping in their neighbor's house for one night. YES.

Immigration wants each foreigner accounted for each night. If you're not at your place of residence, a report is required.

A one-night stay in a Udon Hotel requires a trip to the NK IO the next day, upon return. The hotel logs you in to their room for the night -- the foreigner must log himself back home the next day. Any travel that leaves a loop open is grounds for a fine or a valid reason to deny the next extension of stay.

A 2,000 baht fine awaits the unsuspecting homeowner (usually his wife). A nice little money spinner now that they've whittled the milking herd down to only the fat cows.

Also, hours after they pass through swampy immigration, they're required to report into the IO when they reach their home province.
All true.

But I've never seen it executed on anyone. Of course, there's always the chance that it will be enforced.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » August 22, 2019, 6:48 am

Lone Star wrote:
August 21, 2019, 6:43 pm
Chuchi wrote:
I've traveled all over this kingdom at least a dozen times a year for over 10 years. I've never reported to anyone anywhere -- coming or going -- all that time in travels away from my primary residence in Thailand. Those with whom I've traveled have never reported either. No issue ever, and I've never heard of any expat having any issue.

However, I have heard of hotels being under the gun for failing to secure a copy of passports of traveling expats.

I'm sure when authorities need a catch-all reg to detain someone, they can always pull the trigger on that reg, but it's never happened to anyone I know, and I've never heard of it happening to anyone else.

Always remember, what happens for anyone today, may not happen for anyone tomorrow.
Whenever we travel, the wife checks us in under her name, with her ID never had any issues. If I book online its under her name always.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 22, 2019, 6:51 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
August 22, 2019, 6:48 am
Whenever we travel, the wife checks us in under her name, with her ID never had any issues. If I book online its under her name always.
When traveling with family, I have done the same thing, ntvl. It's a smart move.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 22, 2019, 8:23 am

Dont understand what all the moanings about .
This has been in force as long as ive been here . In the old days the hotel would keep your passport for 24 hours so the police could inspect it.
The smart move is as stated above , get the wife to do the check in , no problem.
Its there rules , we dont have to like them , but its pretty silly to ignore them .
If you do , dont bleat about getting fined .

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 22, 2019, 8:25 am

saint wrote:
August 22, 2019, 8:23 am
This has been in force as long as ive been here . In the old days the hotel would keep your passport for 24 hours so the police could inspect it.
The smart move is as stated above , get the wife to do the check in , no problem.
Its there rules , we dont have to like them , but its pretty silly to ignore them .
Agree completely.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » August 22, 2019, 9:09 am

saint wrote:
It’s not about moaning Saint,I’m just trying to interpret the rules.My mates flying in late October so I’m going to meet up with him for a couple of nights ( no intention of taking the missus).I get Lone Stars quote about nothing being certain,however as Tam says it’s down to the hotel to register me and I’ll leave it at that.My next 90 day will be in 3 months if it’s picked up and I get fined so be it.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » August 22, 2019, 9:25 am

Giggle wrote:
August 21, 2019, 9:46 pm

After reading your post Giggle ,all being well I will make a trip the next day to udon immigration to notify them of my return.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 22, 2019, 9:41 am

For those of us living in the Udon Immigration catchment area, and have a "live" TM30 in their system, I also can't see what the concern is about.

The way I read it, Udon Immo seem to be taking a very pragmatic approach to the issue. In Chuchi's case (assuming you have a live TM30 here), you will go to Bangkok, your hotel will register your presence there - as it is their responsibility under the law.

When you do your next 90 day at Udon Immo, they will know you are still here, and have a TM30 - so Bob's your uncle.

In my case, I often visit and stay with friends and relos around the Chonburi & Rayong areas. As there is virtually no chance of Immo in those areas knowing of my presence, I would not bother the people I am staying with to register that fact.

When I get back to Udon, Immo here would be none the wiser that I have been away.

ps Giggly is in the Nong Khai Immo catchment - they seem to be applying the rules differently and more restrictively than Udon (as has always been the case).

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Chuchi wrote:
August 22, 2019, 9:09 am
saint wrote:
It’s not about moaning Saint,I’m just trying to interpret the rules.My mates flying in late October so I’m going to meet up with him for a couple of nights ( no intention of taking the missus).I get Lone Stars quote about nothing being certain,however as Tam says it’s down to the hotel to register me and I’ll leave it at that.My next 90 day will be in 3 months if it’s picked up and I get fined so be it.
If you register in your name the hotel should photo copy your passport and report your stay with the local police .
As stated its their responsibility to do so .
When you return , i presume you will be returning to your address registered with immigration , so i fail to see a problem.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”