Plastic Bags

General Udon Thani topics only!
Chuchi
udonmap.com

Plastic Bags

Post by Chuchi » September 8, 2019, 1:03 pm

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/plastic ... nuary-2020

Apologies if this is widely known already, it can onl be a good thing long term and I ain’t no tree hugger. Problem I have is forgetting to take a reusable bag with me on the dates that have already been introduced ,I keep having to buy another one :oops:

saint
udonmap.com

Re: Plastic Bags

Post by saint » September 8, 2019, 2:45 pm

In the U K they stopped free bags years ago , but they always have them for the very reason you mentioned , but you have to pay for them , and i believe the money goes to help save the planet .
Would it really be that confusing for the Thais to have a similar approach . That way if you forget your bags , you dont have to suffer your shopping rolling around the vehicle , or if on a bike you still have a chance of making it home alive with your shopping , all of it .

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 8, 2019, 3:00 pm

45,000,000,000 bags just in Thailand. This is a truly sobering number.
How many in number and maybe how many tons of just bags are made each year world wide.
But unfortunately it’s not just the bags, not a word from industry leaders about the rest of the plastic packaging we are forced to throw everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » September 8, 2019, 3:59 pm

45,000,000,000 bags just in Thailand
Is that 45 Billion?!!.... What? cant be! Really?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 9, 2019, 9:21 am

I did an Air France stopover at Nouakchott airport on the way to a job in Guinea. There's a hurricane fence at the end of the runway and the houses and desert spreads beyond that. But you need to be seated up high like in the plane to see the Sahara over the wind-blown plastic-bags that line the hurricane fence. Probably a few hundred thousand bags there alone.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 9, 2019, 4:19 pm

45,000,000,000 bags is about right with 63,400,000 people in Thailand works out to about 2 bags per day per person
and thats just Thailand Also does not include packaging of items by the manufacturers
Now that may make some sense why our oceans are swimming in the stuff

Countries such as France, Kenya, Vanuta,UK, Taiwan, Zimbabwae,Rwanda, Morocco, along with cities have have Banned Single-Use Plastics

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 9, 2019, 5:33 pm

It's as easy as not throwing your Snicker's wrapper or cigarette butt out the car window. It just takes a bit of learning/understanding about where that wrapper goes before you understand. I go to Nongwahsaw market with my wife a few times a week. She does meat and veggies, I do fruit, flowers and incense for our land spirits, and milk at 7-11. I easily save 5 bags a trip. It's as easy as saying ไม่ต้องใส่ถุง mai-dawng-sai-tung.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » September 9, 2019, 7:46 pm

Its funny how Thai words spelt and confusing
I download Thai karaoke songs.All spelt differently!
mai-dawng-sai-tung.....! would have said "Mai dong sai tueng"
Even easier say "Mai ow tueng"
Looking at that, most farang would think Tung as in rhyme "hung"
But is more like "Tierng" LOL

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2019, 12:05 pm

Convenience store chain “7-11” will stop giving plastic bags to shoppers at 137 pilot branches starting November 25, before implementing the plastic bag policy nationwide on January 1, 2020.

Its on!!!
Feb 2018 there were 10,300 stores so its a start just in Thailand
June 2019 68,236 stores worldwide

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2019, 1:43 pm

The technology is already available to turn virtually all plastics back into pellet and liquid form and then use them to produce a myriad of items including fuel and new plastic objects, but of course too many powerful industries/people would loose out financially so that wont be allowed any time soon

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2019, 2:02 pm

FWIW, it's no plastic bag day at Big C at the flyover today. I thought it was a sporadic, weekday thing there but calling it on a high-volume Saturday shopping crowd, them shopping cart jockeys are gonna be really busy!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2019, 3:36 pm

"The technology is already available to turn virtually all plastics back into pellet and liquid form and then use them to produce a myriad of items including fuel and new plastic objects, but of course too many powerful industries/people would loose out financially so that wont be allowed any time soon"

It very well maybe but remember what we were taught the 3 R's Reduce Reuse then Recycle

So if we can reduce as the first option , great news.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2019, 4:40 pm

" It very well maybe but remember what we were taught the 3 R's Reduce Reuse then Recycle "

Sounds exactly like what the Victorian Upper classes were telling their servants before they tucked into the roast goose, and BEFORE the poor had access to 'reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2019, 5:18 pm

Sounds exactly like what the Victorian Upper classes were telling their servants before they tucked into the roast goose, and BEFORE the poor had access to 'reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic

HUH???

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2019, 5:27 pm

The 3 "R's" were reading riting and rithmatic

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » November 23, 2019, 5:58 pm

Most of my shopping is for food. I see that there are always two or three sturdy cloth shopping bags in my car. Plastic bags are rarely necessary. IMO making it a habit to minimize use of plastic bags isn't that difficult.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2019, 6:15 pm

TJ wrote:
November 23, 2019, 5:58 pm
Most of my shopping is for food. I see that there are always two or three sturdy cloth shopping bags in my car. Plastic bags are rarely necessary. IMO making it a habit to minimize use of plastic bags isn't that difficult.
Hope your two or three "sturdy cloth shopping bags" get removed from your car and thoroughly washed between each use to stop the bacteria transferring to your food ....... using nice clean uninfected plastic bags is a much healthier option :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 23, 2019, 6:24 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 23, 2019, 6:15 pm
TJ wrote:
November 23, 2019, 5:58 pm
Hope your two or three "sturdy cloth shopping bags" get removed from your car and thoroughly washed between each use to stop the bacteria transferring to your food ....... using nice clean uninfected plastic bags is a much healthier option :lol:
Seriously? Do you disinfect the cans/packages that have been touched by children picking their noses, too?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2019, 7:24 pm

I don't put the cans/packages in my mouth, but if I was going to I would certainly wash/wipe them first.
I dont let my kids play with dog /cat without washing their hands either.
Back in 60's I remember my mum hanging her shopping bags on the line to dry....... I thought that everyone would be even more conscious of the threat of bacteria now than they were then ...... obviously not :shock:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2019, 11:55 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 23, 2019, 7:24 pm
I don't put the cans/packages in my mouth, but if I was going to I would certainly wash/wipe them first.
I dont let my kids play with dog /cat without washing their hands either.
Back in 60's I remember my mum hanging her shopping bags on the line to dry....... I thought that everyone would be even more conscious of the threat of bacteria now than they were then ...... obviously not :shock:
Thai bacteria. Not same same farang bacteria.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”