Do we have celebrity amongst us?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Do we have celebrity amongst us?

Post by Doodoo » September 13, 2019, 7:25 pm

UDON THANI, Thailand (AP) — Catholics in Thailand are celebrating the official announcement of the first papal visit in 35 years, but one 77-year-old nun in a far-flung corner of the country has a connection that makes the occasion particularly special.

Pope Francis is due to arrive in Thailand on Nov. 20 for a four-day visit, the first leg of an Asia trip that will also take him to Japan, Catholic officials announced Friday.

The pontiff's arrival will lead to a reinvigoration of belief among the nearly 400,000 faithful here. But for Sister Ana Rosa Sivori, it also means the pleasure of a family reunion.

At St. Mary's girls' school in Udon Thani, about 570 kilometers (355 miles) northeast of Bangkok, the pupils have only recently realized their unassuming vice principal's connection to the pope.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/popes-visit- ... 05159.html

mak
udonmap.com

Re: Do we have celebrity amongst us?

Post by mak » September 14, 2019, 7:23 am

I have seen her at St. Mary's over the years. I had assumed she was Italian, since the Salesian Order originated in Italy. All the other nuns are Thai. About 18 years ago there was a nun from Colombia at the school.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 14, 2019, 7:55 am

Interesting link.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 14, 2019, 11:51 am

I met Lulu at the Two Red Shoes dance club in Elgin back in February 1964. Got an autographed picture and a snog... not bad for an 8 year-old.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 14, 2019, 12:14 pm

tamada wrote:
September 14, 2019, 11:51 am
I met Lulu at the Two Red Shoes dance club in Elgin back in February 1964. Got an autographed picture and a snog... not bad for an 8 year-old.
Don't "SHOUT" about it tam :lol:

If she was 8, how old were you ? :-k

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 11, 2019, 9:52 am

UDON THANI, Nov 11 (Reuters) - In a remote Catholic school in Thailand, Sister Ana Rosa Sivori, 77, kneels in a chapel to pray at the beginning of the school day.

The Catholic nun is also counting down the days when she will be reunited with her cousin, Pope Francis.

Or, as she calls him, Jorge. They grew up together in Argentina.

Sister Sivori, who has lived in Thailand for more than 50 years, will travel with Pope Francis when he visits from Nov. 20 to 23.

"For me, it's a pleasure that he's coming ... I never thought that he will be coming to Thailand," the soft-spoken nun told Reuters in an interview.

"I'm happy for the people. I want the people to see him, to be close to him."

The cousins, whose grandfathers were brothers, grew up in a big Catholic family in Argentina.

Sivori said they weren't close as children, since Jorge Mario Bergoglio - as the Pope was known then - was six years older than she.

She joined the Catholic ministry young, and her calling as a missionary brought her to Thailand, where she has lived since 1966 and worked in schools across the country.

Now, she is a vice principal at St. Mary's School in the northeastern province of Udon Thani, about 600 km (370 miles) from Bangkok, the capital.

The cousins have grown closer since Bergoglio became Pope Francis in 2013.

On every journey home to her family in Argentina, Sivori first stops by the Vatican in Italy to see him for a few days.

The last time they saw each other was in 2018, when they bonded over their love of books.

"He took me up to the big room with plenty of books. He told me to choose, he would ask 'Do you want this one?'," she said.

"When we talk, we feel like brother and sister. For me, of course I know that he's the Pope ... but we talk simply."

She will travel to Bangkok ahead of the pontiff's arrival and shadow him during his visit, at his request.

In the Buddhist-majority country, Pope Francis will meet individual Maha Vajiralongkorn, the supreme Buddhist patriarch, Catholic leaders and students, before flying on to Japan.

Sivori brings out an envelope of handwritten letters and postcards from the Vatican and reads them fondly.

"When I meet him, I'll call him by his name, Jorge. Pope Francis just came after," she said.

"I'm proud of him." (Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat Editing by Robert Birsel and Clarence Fernandez)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 11, 2019, 11:06 am

stattointhailand wrote:
September 14, 2019, 12:14 pm
tamada wrote:
September 14, 2019, 11:51 am
Don't "SHOUT" about it tam :lol:

If she was 8, how old were you ? :-k
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 11, 2019, 4:19 pm

Not this weekend but next weekend (21-24) there is a four day weekend at St. Mary's. The school is closed. All the sisters will be in Bangkok. It's a good deal for the Catholic students, for 400 baht they get transportation, food, lodging and they get to see the Pope.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 11, 2019, 4:58 pm

mak wrote:
November 11, 2019, 4:19 pm
Not this weekend but next weekend (21-24) there is a four day weekend at St. Mary's. The school is closed. All the sisters will be in Bangkok. It's a good deal for the Catholic students, for 400 baht they get transportation, food, lodging and they get to see the Pope.
I got to see Pope Paul VI in a Mass at Yankee Stadium in 1965, did the World Fair, and saw the Pieta at the Vatican pavilion.....a one day trip from CT to NY and back by bus. The next opportunity was in San Antonio TX but the crowds were too much to deal with on a blistering hot summer day.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » November 11, 2019, 5:58 pm

I was at LHR in gate lounge signing a load sheet.
A big shadow past me,and said in a low voice "Allo Mate" When I looked up it was Bruno!

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 20, 2019, 2:30 pm

Sister Ana Rosa Sivori rocks.
Attachments
Sister.jpg

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 23, 2019, 6:40 am

The Ana Rosa saga continues.