Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

General Udon Thani topics only!
Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

Post by Stantheman » November 13, 2019, 11:41 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
November 13, 2019, 8:34 pm
There have now been several reports of people with current OA visas issued prior to October 31 entering, being asked if they have insurance and when the answer is no being stamped in for a year.

To be clear no insurance is being required for older but valid OA visas
But, to clarify a little, when applying for permission to stay for retirement reasons when year is up, there will be a requirement for insurance, no matter issue date of OA visa.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 14, 2019, 2:27 am

November 13, 2019, 6:06 pm
jackspratt wrote:
November 13, 2019, 5:16 pm
I listened to about 2 minutes of the linked youtube, and my reaction is that I would take his opinions with a large grain of salt.

When he says that after 31 October, retirement visas applicants overseas will be funneled into an OA visa, I reckon he is talking through his hat. =;

I think that he’s talking through an orifice not designed for communication, this seems to be common in his profession.

I agree many of the things he is saying are speculation, he does not seem to understand that at the present people with a visa exempt entry and tourist visa (possibly a transit visa as well) are perfectly able to get a non O visa issued in Thailand though there is the requirement to bring 800k into thailand as part of the process.

He also seems oblivious to the fact that the only places you can get an OA are in your home country or country of legal residents while non O visas are widely available.

I suspect that his talk of “grandfathering out” is a typical lawyer term when he could easily has used the more accurate and simple “will not need”

There is no current talk of any genuine second grandfather exception.

While the speculation could be correct it could just as easily be wrong.
To clarify, it was my understanding that the $800,000 baht was not required for the non immigrant O visa. Am I mistaking?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 14, 2019, 8:07 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
November 14, 2019, 2:27 am
November 13, 2019, 6:06 pm
jackspratt wrote:
November 13, 2019, 5:16 pm
I listened to about 2 minutes of the linked youtube, and my reaction is that I would take his opinions with a large grain of salt.

When he says that after 31 October, retirement visas applicants overseas will be funneled into an OA visa, I reckon he is talking through his hat. =;

I think that he’s talking through an orifice not designed for communication, this seems to be common in his profession.

I agree many of the things he is saying are speculation, he does not seem to understand that at the present people with a visa exempt entry and tourist visa (possibly a transit visa as well) are perfectly able to get a non O visa issued in Thailand though there is the requirement to bring 800k into thailand as part of the process.

He also seems oblivious to the fact that the only places you can get an OA are in your home country or country of legal residents while non O visas are widely available.

I suspect that his talk of “grandfathering out” is a typical lawyer term when he could easily has used the more accurate and simple “will not need”

There is no current talk of any genuine second grandfather exception.

While the speculation could be correct it could just as easily be wrong.
To clarify, it was my understanding that the $800,000 baht was not required for the non immigrant O visa. Am I mistaking?
Yes you are in the case above.

The requirements to get a Non-O visa issued in Thailand as a conversation from a visa exempt entry or tourist visa includes that you must have 15 days left on your permission to stay and that you transfer a minimum of 800,000 Baht from outside Thailand (immagration will need proof) You will need to make at least 3 visits to immigration the first to apply the second two week later to receive the non O which is immediately marked as used and you get a 90 day permission to stay, the third two to three months after the second visit is to apply for your 1 year extension of stay.

This is one of the 2 cases where immigration can issue a visa.

Getting a Non-O visa outside Thailand has different requirements and availability depending on the consulate or embassy and reason for getting one, some require proof of funds some don’t.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 14, 2019, 8:15 am

Stantheman wrote:
November 13, 2019, 11:41 pm
November 13, 2019, 8:34 pm
There have now been several reports of people with current OA visas issued prior to October 31 entering, being asked if they have insurance and when the answer is no being stamped in for a year.

To be clear no insurance is being required for older but valid OA visas
But, to clarify a little, when applying for permission to stay for retirement reasons when year is up, there will be a requirement for insurance, no matter issue date of OA visa.
Basically yes.

The current statements from every immigration office that has been asked is that all extensions of permission to stay that originated from an OA visa (whenever the visa was issued) for retirement will require insurance.

Most/all are saying that it must be Thai insurance.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 14, 2019, 8:52 am

Well damn. I love Thailand, the people, the food, but it looks like Cambodia will be called home in 2 years. I guess it will be my "vacation" destination, kind of like it is now. LOL.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 14, 2019, 8:59 pm

and from my visit to Udon Immigration this last Wednesday on OA based persmissions to stay, the answer was, "here is the handout with the link to buy the approved insurance.." Then in answer to my query on "foreign insurance" (and Immigration's Foreign Insurance Certificate), it was "NO, you must buy insurance from the approved list..." Might their interpretation of the police order change? Maybe.. But my renewal comes up in mid-January... Guess I can hang on till then and see..
Dave

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 15, 2019, 4:30 am

It's not so much the requirement of the health insurance, because I have looked at the premiums and compared to the U.S., Thailand wins hands down. And out of all the requirements, 90 reporting or visa run, $800k deposited, I believe that the health insurance is the most reasonable. But when you combine all the requirements together, it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm not complaining mind you, this is their country and if you want to stay, you have to play by their rules and I respect that. It just sucks because this is where I want to be. But like I have said before, luckily there are other options and Thailand will be close enough to visit on a regular basis.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”