Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

General Udon Thani topics only!

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

Post by DuiDui49 » October 10, 2019, 7:17 am

**********************************************UPDATE***********************************************

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/112782 ... paign=news

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 10, 2019, 8:56 am

so it is still only for new visa class OA (long stay) which can only be obtained in your home country....
not O visa's and their extensions ?...at least that is what i am reading ... ;)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 10, 2019, 8:30 pm

from the Khaosod Article: The new rules will be applied to those who enter the country for the first time and those who wish to extend their visas,” Sathit said.

Does this mean a retiree doing the annual "permission of extension to stay" will now have to provide evidence of a medical policy?? Maybe, but I don't see that it is all worked out yet....

They'll have to be able to read and ensure a foreign policy meets the standards since the article says a foreign policy meeting the financial standards is OK. "Policies can either be purchased from domestic or foreign insurers, but the sum of foreign policies must not be less than the amount stipulated for Thai policies."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019 ... a-holders/
Dave

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 11, 2019, 8:49 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
October 10, 2019, 8:30 pm
from the Khaosod Article: The new rules will be applied to those who enter the country for the first time and those who wish to extend their visas,” Sathit said.

Does this mean a retiree doing the annual "permission of extension to stay" will now have to provide evidence of a medical policy?? Maybe, but I don't see that it is all worked out yet....

They'll have to be able to read and ensure a foreign policy meets the standards since the article says a foreign policy meeting the financial standards is OK. "Policies can either be purchased from domestic or foreign insurers, but the sum of foreign policies must not be less than the amount stipulated for Thai policies."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019 ... a-holders/
Purely irresponsible journalism! They have simply misstated the facts since the mandatory health insurance is NOT for those applying for an extension of stay.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 11, 2019, 4:07 pm

This is getting interesting, and directly relevant to me - particularly after wading through the multiple threads on TV.

I am on a multiple OA, and recently triggered the bonus 2nd year with a border crossing to Vientiane. I have a permission to stay until the middle of 2020. I also obtained a re-entry permit a week or so ago.

I am due to go to Oz shortly, and will return in early November ie after the new insurance requirement kicks in.

The question no one seems to be able answer yet, is whether the insurance will only apply to OAs issued after 31 October, or to those like me who will re-enter after that date.

It also appears that those applying for future extensions (in Thailand) based on OAs will/may be required to have the insurance cover.

My options (pending further clarification before I leave) seem to be:

1. arrive back, and see what happens when I hit the inward desk at Swampy

2. take out insurance while in Oz

3. apply for a new O visa while in Oz.

:-k

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 11, 2019, 4:34 pm

1. could be expensive
2. probably is expensive
3. is safe option

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 11, 2019, 4:38 pm

OPTION #1 would work for me right now! The OA visa was issued a >year ago and under the guidelines of that visa is still valid. As you say until mid 2020 be it with continued boarder runs. Get a 3 month O visa then and extend it to Retirement status. Your are not applying for another OA visa through the process so right now the insurance thingy should not apply --- errr today! Tomorrow could be different.

I don't think you can extend your OA Visa now into its 2nd year? Maybe you should have done it prior to the "Bonus Year" boarder run??

Just my 2 bobs worth and interpretation into the workings, as they stand.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 12, 2019, 11:21 am

Interesting point jackspratt. I am in a similar position and will be leaving Thailand over xmas. I could be wrong but, given that you, like me, have permission to stay until 2020 and hold a re-entry permit, I cannot see how they can ask for insurance until after this permission to stay expires.

This is purely an opinion though.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 12, 2019, 2:09 pm

for any interested who read into the Thai Visa postings, here is the website for Long Stay health insurance: www.longstay.tgia.org For foreign health insurance certification they provide a detailed certificate for the foreign insurance provider to sign...
overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf
(130.81 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
In reading through the multiple Thai government documents on the Thai Visa link it sure seems to me that most folks will need to provide the documentation in order to get the Retirement Visa extension to stay.. Unless you've been here since 1998 continuously.. But as I mentioned earlier in the string I don't think the details have been worked out yet..
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 12, 2019, 3:16 pm

Looking at the Certificate linked by FDK above, it seems aimed at new OA visa applicants.

What is not clear is whether it is for arrivals after 31 October (ie visa already issued now), or visa applications after that date.

As I highlighted earlier, what happens with re-entry after that date is also unclear.

The longstay.tgia website linked also indicates that after the first year here, you must source your insurance from a Thai insurer.

The new O visa is looking the likely option for me.

Which raises the interesting point of what happens when I get back to Thailand with a valid re-entry permit (under my current O-A visa), and an equally valid new O visa. :shock:

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 12, 2019, 3:22 pm

your O-A visa would be invalid once the O visa has been obtained

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 12, 2019, 3:47 pm

Further to my post above, I am also a bit confused on why the distinction will be made between the O-A and O visa holder when it comes time to apply for an extension.

The apparent rationale, as pointed out by someone earlier, was that for the new arrival on an O-A visa, the applicant does not have to show money in a Thai bank to get the visa, and is able to stay here for one or two years without such money here. However, they must show the equivalent of TBH800k in their home country (or Thailand) when applying for the visa.

Meanwhile the O visa applicant (in Oz, as I understand it) needs to show minimal funds (TBH20k) for a single entry (3 months) visa. And they don't need insurance.

However, when applying for an extension in Thailand, both categories need to show the same amount (800k) in a Thai bank, which would seem to put them on equal financial footing. But only someone who has been here for however many years on an O-A visa needs insurance. (Note - I am ignoring marriage extensions, and pension income for the purpose of this discussion). :-k

Logically, it would be the farangs who are here on dodgy, agent-facilitated extensions who are most likely to skip out on hospital bills. If they don't have the money in the bank to apply legitimately for an extension, do the have the money to pay their hospital bills?

Of course, this will go unspoken in the offices of power. :-$

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 12, 2019, 3:48 pm

noosard wrote:
October 12, 2019, 3:22 pm
your O-A visa would be invalid once the O visa has been obtained
Do you reckon they would give me a refund on the Re-entry Permit. :D

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

For Brits.

Just had a quick look at the RTE website in London and, also tried the Consulate website in Hull.

Good news appears to be that Hull now appears to be issuing visas again. I had found them extremely helpful previously and was disappointed when everything had to be d/w on line with the Embassy.

The Hull website however makes no mention of an OA visa and its requirements.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 15, 2019, 4:30 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 11, 2019, 4:07 pm
This is getting interesting, and directly relevant to me - particularly after wading through the multiple threads on TV.......

.........My options (pending further clarification before I leave) seem to be:

Option 3 now off the table.

Emailed the Thai Consul in Perth, asking if he can issue a new Non-O, when I have still have a valid O-A. No can do.

O-A must be voided first, which can only be done by the post which issued it - in my case, the Embassy in Canberra. I don't have enough time in Oz to get both done, unless I change the return flight. :(

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 16, 2019, 12:52 am

I would go with option 1.
Last edited by arjay on October 16, 2019, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 16, 2019, 12:54 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 15, 2019, 4:30 pm
jackspratt wrote:
October 11, 2019, 4:07 pm
This is getting interesting, and directly relevant to me - particularly after wading through the multiple threads on TV.......

.........My options (pending further clarification before I leave) seem to be:

Option 3 now off the table.

Emailed the Thai Consul in Perth, asking if he can issue a new Non-O, when I have still have a valid O-A. No can do.

O-A must be voided first, which can only be done by the post which issued it - in my case, the Embassy in Canberra. I don't have enough time in Oz to get both done, unless I change the return flight. :(

I would try option 1. As you already have a re-entry permit, I would think they won't think too much about anything else.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 16, 2019, 8:40 am

After further reflection, I agree arjay.

I will carry my bank book ( plenty of funds) and yellow house book with me.

At worst, I should get a 30 day stamp. That will allow me to cross over to Lao - possibly Savannakhet.

Can someone please confirm - do they only issue "marriage" O visas there, or can you also get a "retirement" O visa?

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 16, 2019, 10:02 am

They only do marriage visas in Savannaket and you must have Non O visa also.
They will not do it on 30 day visa.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”