Downtown

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Downtown

Post by parrot » October 30, 2019, 4:32 pm

So, a few things over the past few days in/around town:

First, thanks to the three ambulance crew guys from Bangkok Hospital on their lunch break in front of the hospital. I exited the hospital following a health checkup to find my front pax side tire flat. The guys got up from their half-finished bowls of soup and insisted on doing the changing for me.

In Central today.....ate lunch at Laem Charoen Seafood on the fourth floor. Pricey place but it was nearly full at lunch time and the people weren't slurping noodles.
While my wife was getting fitted up for eyeglasses at the Owndays Eyeglass Center on the second floor, I went to the Apple Store to browse. In the span of 10ish minutes, two customers walked out with Apple 11 phones. The store was abuzz with several other customers looking at Apple products.
When I returned to the eyeglass store, my wife was chatting up a storm with one of the clerks......who spent a year in the US, New Hampshire and Ohio. She confided in my wife that she's making over 20k a month as a sales clerk.
Then off to Tops where I was greeted by a woman in the prepared-food section who asked, in English, 'How can I help you?', with enough of a tang that I knew she was schooled outside the country. Sure enough, she said she spent four years in Melbourne getting her degree. She now works for Tops in Bangkok but is TDY to Udon to help with the upgrade to the cooking section of Tops. That new area looks to be opening soon.....all new counters/cooking/serving areas. All in all, the 'new' Tops is as good as any I ever visited in Bangkok.

Is it just me, or are there loads of foreigners in Central these days?
Another sign of progress......that long abandoned 60%-done shophouse across from Chris's Bar and nearer to the bus station has finally been taken down.
Finally, as always, my pink glasses can't help spotting the red license plates around town. There's no shortage.

I read most all the news about Thailand....lots of doom and gloom about the economy, but I just don't see it in Udon..........yet. Not even close. Maybe it's around the corner......or not.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Downtown

Post by parrot » October 30, 2019, 4:43 pm

As a follow-on......meanwhile, in other Udon news, the area just can't shake its reputation as the province-of-scams. The latest
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... estigation

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 30, 2019, 5:05 pm

parrot wrote:
October 30, 2019, 4:43 pm
As a follow-on......meanwhile, in other Udon news, the area just can't shake its reputation as the province-of-scams. The latest
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... estigation
Yeah, 93% monthly returns promised. No way that would arouse suspicion on the part of prospective investors. :roll:

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 1, 2019, 3:16 pm

Parrot
No arguments or anything else but is Central Plaza a snapshot of all of Udon Thani Province or even Issan? Fair enough that there are a few red plates around. Just remember that a couple of weeks before the 2008 financial crash American Banks were still lending mortgages to unemployed people.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 1, 2019, 4:18 pm

AlexO wrote:
November 1, 2019, 3:16 pm
Parrot
No arguments or anything else but is Central Plaza a snapshot of all of Udon Thani Province or even Issan? Fair enough that there are a few red plates around. Just remember that a couple of weeks before the 2008 financial crash American Banks were still lending mortgages to unemployed people.
No doubt Central doesn't reflect the state of the economy in Udon. Nor does a slew of vacant shophouses or subdivision homes......that's pretty much normal normal in Thailand.
For as long as I've been here, expats have been predicting the downfall of the economy....it happened in 1997.....but since then, it's been chugging along. Sooner or later, as with all economies, there will be problems.......and the Marc Faber's of the world will claim victory. I think it should be noted that the government here can pretty much do things at will.......not constrained like in the US with the treasury department and congress and fed oversight or elections

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 1, 2019, 5:20 pm

Money is around
Our village is upgrading the main road/street/soi
Not just a lick of tar but inches of roadbase being rolled
Just not fixed the water problem
I wanted to install pipe from high side of soi to run the water away, under the road
looks like not to be done
Oh well a fine day or so will evaporate the mozzie lakes

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”