Thais NOT spending

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Thais NOT spending

Post by Doodoo » November 25, 2019, 6:50 pm

Well it looks like all the ________ ( I dont know really what to call them) who just a few months ago seemed to have hit the nail on the head , we are in for a time of pull back.
Less tourists = Less THB spent
Thais spending = Less THB Spent
Factories shutting down = Less THB available for jobs
Expats leaving= Less THB available to spend

Time is now for those who can pull the belt up one more notch to suck it in.
Good luck to all in the coming months/year(s)

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... dship-poll

vlad
udonmap.com

Re: Thais NOT spending

Post by vlad » November 26, 2019, 12:31 am

Aye Doodoo today on thairiger the headline was Walking St in Patts with Indians and Chinese Tourists but looking closely they were walking up and down and not spending the question being asked is " Where are the Farangs " it's not rocket science you drove them out and relied on the up market Chinese and Indian Tourists now your reaping your rewards good luck.

johanthomsen
udonmap.com

Post by johanthomsen » November 27, 2019, 4:22 am

Thai people love their sayings and a good saying is that: you reap what you sow .. and that is ever so much true.. I have seen a huge stagnation in many sectors in tourist areas over the last 6 years I have visited Thailand, and one cannot not notice the change of tourists that have been around in those years...
Sure there are still american and european tourists around, but they are nowhere near as many as they used to be, and they have been replaced with chinese and other tourists, and it is easy to see that the spending pattern is not the same..
Meanwhile prices and other things have just gone upwards, and as many Thai people I have spoken to all said the same, that the pack of chinese tourists dont spend close to same amounts as the individual american and european tourist spends, so good game to many who try to get by with living on tourism, as things dont seem to be turning around..

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 4:53 am

vlad wrote:
November 26, 2019, 12:31 am
Aye Doodoo today on thairiger the headline was Walking St in Patts with Indians and Chinese Tourists but looking closely they were walking up and down and not spending the question being asked is " Where are the Farangs " it's not rocket science you drove them out and relied on the up market Chinese and Indian Tourists now your reaping your rewards good luck.
I went to Pattaya for the first time ever this past May. It was pretty crowded, but never in my life have I ever seen so many Chinese tourist. About 75% of them had their Chinese girlfriend / wives with them. And basically they were all just window shopping, even on Walking Street.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 27, 2019, 8:41 am

Dm.had the best part of 10 yrs in fun city running n owning nars clubs n agogo ..heres my ecperirnces
The Chinese go on mass.. big groups couples organised tours with a set itinery from.7am.paragliding to 9pm.tiffany show ..but they do nit doend any money at all.in the resorts bars n gogis etc
Indiand go in groups of males .... they like to visit the bars etv but 10 of them.lucky to get 2 drinks bought and they molest every girl they can ..
The best customers fir the bar coyite n gogo venues were europeans Ausdies n Americans ...best selenders by a mile were scandos n the biggest pissheads the Finns .
So no wonder the nightlife s ene is screwed as its lost all its cream.customers n left with lookrs n touchrre but no payers .
Only my op.i may be wrong ..
Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » November 27, 2019, 2:35 pm

Meanwhile in Nong Bualumphu last Sunday around 13:00......The Tesco car park full,food court with minimal seating available,KFC people lining up out the door,Tesco supermarket with busy registers and Customers pushing trolleys around.
:-k
Voiceover for hire.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 27, 2019, 7:16 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 27, 2019, 8:41 am
Dm.had the best part of 10 yrs in fun city running n owning nars clubs n agogo ..heres my ecperirnces
The Chinese go on mass.. big groups couples organised tours with a set itinery from.7am.paragliding to 9pm.tiffany show ..but they do nit doend any money at all.in the resorts bars n gogis etc
Indiand go in groups of males .... they like to visit the bars etv but 10 of them.lucky to get 2 drinks bought and they molest every girl they can ..
The best customers fir the bar coyite n gogo venues were europeans Ausdies n Americans ...best selenders by a mile were scandos n the biggest pissheads the Finns .
So no wonder the nightlife s ene is screwed as its lost all its cream.customers n left with lookrs n touchrre but no payers .
Only my op.i may be wrong ..
Dm
Just a comment on the Scandihooligan sexpats. I think Norway rejigged their tax regimen which made it much harder for Olaf to blow his wad on imported beer and local fillies like he used to. I recall they also passed very strict penalties on their diaspora paying for sex even in foreign countries. All of a sudden guys spending half the year in Norwegian villages and resorts in Thailand and PI became social pariah.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 27, 2019, 7:20 pm

"All of a sudden guys spending half the year in Norwegian villages and resorts in Thailand and PI became social pariah."

But only for 6 months tam, the other six they were Thor esque :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 27, 2019, 7:29 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:
November 27, 2019, 2:35 pm
Meanwhile in Nong Bualumphu last Sunday around 13:00......The Tesco car park full,food court with minimal seating available,KFC people lining up out the door,Tesco supermarket with busy registers and Customers pushing trolleys around.
:-k
Have they downsized their floor space yet like many flagship Tesco-Lotus branches nationwide have done? The original T-L in Udon looks busier after the 35% reduction in retail floor space and less checkouts. The newer one over in Nadi is heaving but ONLY on Sundays where most visitors are there for the movies.

I went to Tops in Nong Han on a weekend. They were parking out on the highway. A few months later, I went back mid-week and it you could have fired a shotgun and not hit anyone.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 27, 2019, 8:33 pm

we frequent the old Big C on the east side. The parking lot is always chock-a-block full by 11:30 daily with weekends and holidays (including school breaks) getting it to overflow/double-parked level. I don't see any real reduction in consumer demand yet. If so you wouldn't have that convoy of motorcycles packed with people heading downtown to eat every evening. I was here back in the 98-99 recession. That's when Big C had about 30 cars in the parking lot at 1PM on a Saturday...
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 27, 2019, 8:36 pm

I read today from.the TAT .. latest tourist info .. i think the official.must have been to.the Diane Abbot school.of Mathematics .

Indians visting Thailand spend double that of the Chinese .. per heas per day if this can be believed or fact checked by mr Tam ..

Average per person per day ???? Really

Indians 10, 000 bt
Chinese 5,000 bt

Link to.follow

Dm.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » November 27, 2019, 8:43 pm

Not sure this is a sign, but went to Big Tesco today and seemed a lot slower then past Wednesday's
But the parking lot seemed to be full.
Go figure

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 27, 2019, 8:46 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
November 27, 2019, 8:33 pm
we frequent the old Big C on the east side. The parking lot is always chock-a-block full by 11:30 daily with weekends and holidays (including school breaks) getting it to overflow/double-parked level. I don't see any real reduction in consumer demand yet. If so you wouldn't have that convoy of motorcycles packed with people heading downtown to eat every evening. I was here back in the 98-99 recession. That's when Big C had about 30 cars in the parking lot at 1PM on a Saturday...
Misleading info FrazeeDK ........... 20 of them were only there for the bowling alley next door :lol:

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 27, 2019, 8:48 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 27, 2019, 8:36 pm
I read today from.the TAT .. latest tourist info .. i think the official.must have been to.the Diane Abbot school.of Mathematics .

Indians visting Thailand spend double that of the Chinese .. per heas per day if this can be believed or fact checked by mr Tam ..

Indians 10, 000 bt
Chinese 5,000 bt

Link to.follow

Dm.
Link below

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... -hoteliers

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 3:48 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 27, 2019, 8:48 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 27, 2019, 8:36 pm

Indians 10, 000 bt
Chinese 5,000 bt

Link to.follow

Dm.
Link below

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... -hoteliers
I just read this today, I actually posted it on another thread. On my holiday I am a free spender. With room and board and one hell of a night out, best 10 to 12 thousand baht for me, and I usually don't remember anything. Out of all of my travels to Thailand, I have never spent an average of 10000 baht per day. 5000 baht easily, but not 10,000.

johanthomsen
udonmap.com

Post by johanthomsen » November 28, 2019, 5:04 am

I think those numbers are completely out of proportions... For an american or european perhaps, but absolutely not for indians and chinese in average...

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » November 28, 2019, 7:14 am

johanthomsen wrote:
November 28, 2019, 5:04 am
I think those numbers are completely out of proportions... For an american or european perhaps, but absolutely not for indians and chinese in average...
Maybe so, but there is an exponentially growing middle class in these countries, with cash to spend. Asia is in its economic infancy, while the West is waning....changing of the guard is hard to swallow sometimes.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 7:26 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
November 28, 2019, 7:14 am
johanthomsen wrote:
Maybe so, but there is an exponentially growing middle class in these countries, with cash to spend. Asia is in its economic infancy, while the West is waning....changing of the guard is hard to swallow sometimes.
After thinking about these extremely high figures, it is possibility that if they are spending this amount, it's probably not towards the Thai economy. If you notice the Chinese, you can usually see that they dress well and are dressed in the latest fashions. The Indians, seems to me, tend to lean towards higher end watches and jewelry. Because one thing I do not see is either culture sitting at the bars hours on end. So it is probably the fashion malls that see their money. Just speculating.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » November 28, 2019, 7:30 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
November 28, 2019, 7:26 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
johanthomsen wrote:
After thinking about these extremely high figures, it is possibility that if they are spending this amount, it's probably not towards the Thai economy. If you notice the Chinese, you can usually see that they dress well and are dressed in the latest fashions. The Indians, seems to me, tend to lean towards higher end watches and jewelry. Because one thing I do not see is either culture sitting at the bars hours on end. So it is probably the fashion malls that see their money. Just speculating.
Well if they are spending the money in the malls, the Thai economy would still be benefiting??????

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 7:50 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
November 28, 2019, 7:30 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
November 28, 2019, 7:26 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
johanthomsen wrote:
Well if they are spending the money in the malls, the Thai economy would still be benefiting??????
I'm not saying that you're wrong, in fact you may be spot-on, but I look at it differently. People who work in the mall usually work for corporations and sell product that's not manufactured in Thailand or by the Thai community, i.e. Coach, Cartier, etc. This may sound stupid but if I need a shirt or sandals, I will go to a night market or Mom and Pop shop over the mall not because of the price, because the price differential is not that much different and the quality is probably better at the mall, but because I know the money will go in their pocket. The same goes for food, because I do love some of the barbecue places inside the mall, but me personally, I feel better thinking I am helping support a family business. I know this may sound silly and naive, but it is what it is.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”