Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Niggly » June 16, 2021, 5:13 pm

Roads seemed unusually quiet to & from Big C an hour ago. Big C was quiet too with more than enough tills open for a change

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 18, 2021, 9:50 am

Traffic flowing freely at Udons politically unbiased intersection ...

Lots n lots of bodies beavering away

Roadies are taking away my new stone ramp :( as its time to lay the nearside lane so if it rains looks like im land locked again or its obtain a motorsai.

The grass triangular island is being removed , i shall miss my favourite traffic vantage point and some of the rodents flora and forna i have made friends with there on.

Electric guys are here .. it appears the huge leccy posts are being moved 3m into the car park to make way for the new udon promenade dog walking zone.

Still best to transit this zone slowly especially if at a time of darkness

Apart from some minor access issues so far there has been minimal traffic hold ups unlike the less developed primitive East side which is in a state of trafficular chaos and will be for months , years to come (i blame that useless concrete laying machine)

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 18, 2021, 9:44 pm

Now that the school run drivers have discovered where the traffic problems on the East side are, it has settled down and this morning the school run was achieved with no delays at all. I would still try to avoid it at rush hour but had no queues today. I realise on the west side there are no issues as schools are a rarity.

The Global house spring was filled in a short while ago, but, surprise surprise, a new waterlogged trench has appeared 3 metres away next to the ring road.....

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 19, 2021, 7:43 am

Years ago while teaching, I found that after 0730, traffic was moderate to heavy and so I started my school run at 0700. Following after that and no longer teaching going to town was between 0900 and 1500 during school terms , avoiding the idiotic driving and stopping so beloved of the school run brigade. It has not changed only now with the road works occupying the main U Turn on Nittayo Road , doubly difficult .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 19, 2021, 1:01 pm

I see the U-Turn just east of Talad Thai Siri on Rte 22 (Sakon road) has had the big plastic Jersey Barriers and lane posts installed to keep U-Turns orderly and prevent the usual "doubling up" that plagued that U-Turn...
Dave

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 20, 2021, 6:25 pm

At great risk of shaking the usual curmudgeons Shackletons High Seats & heaven forbid waking them from their afternoon snooze, I have news of Nong Khai traffic.

For some reason the Nong Song Hong traffic light controlled crossroads is barricaded off east to west (or vice versa). This means everyone coming from Nong Khai & wanting to turn right has to go to the next u turn & there were a lot of vehicles.
At this particular u turn there is a police check point so 4 lanes into 1 but I’ve never, ever seen it manned in 15 years passing through. Today, however, it was manned & they were stopping everyone, yours truly included. I was just waved on after stopping so I guess they were looking for something not involving a hansum farang. I did notice a little Nissan March having its seats removed at the side of the road as the two occupants looked on flanked by RTP.
The queues are horrendous, it took me 30mins to go the approx 1km from the lights & pass through the check point

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 20, 2021, 6:42 pm

Niggly wrote:
June 20, 2021, 6:25 pm
At great risk of shaking the usual curmudgeons Shackletons High Seats & heaven forbid waking them from their afternoon snooze, I have news of Nong Khai traffic.

For some reason the Nong Song Hong traffic light controlled crossroads is barricaded off east to west (or vice versa). This means everyone coming from Nong Khai & wanting to turn right has to go to the next u turn & there were a lot of vehicles.
At this particular u turn there is a police check point so 4 lanes into 1 but I’ve never, ever seen it manned in 15 years passing through. Today, however, it was manned & they were stopping everyone, yours truly included. I was just waved on after stopping so I guess they were looking for something not involving a hansum farang. I did notice a little Nissan March having its seats removed at the side of the road as the two occupants looked on flanked by RTP.
The queues are horrendous, it took me 30mins to go the approx 1km from the lights & pass through the check point
Relating to that I am aware that the RTP , have been proactive on the Drug couriers coming from Laos , with the borders tightly controlled now they are using far more people, offering large sums just to carry these drugs down into the black holes surround Bangkok for onward transmission to other places .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 20, 2021, 6:46 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 20, 2021, 6:42 pm

Relating to that I am aware that the RTP , have been proactive on the Drug couriers coming from Laos , with the borders tightly controlled now they are using far more people, offering large sums just to carry these drugs down into the black holes surround Bangkok for onward transmission to other places .
Makes sense 👍

They were also active northbound so maybe looking for large sums of cash going back.

Urgh, twice in as many days

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 21, 2021, 10:30 am

Don’t know whether anyone else has noticed the huge metal sheets recently painted with red & white stripes covering holes in the southbound carriageway from clock roundabout, past Prajak Circle & down Thahan Road.
They seem to be “secured” by a small amount of tarmac but otherwise left loose & if you dab your brakes when on one you can hear & feel it slide 😳

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 21, 2021, 11:51 am

Niggly wrote:
June 21, 2021, 10:30 am
Don’t know whether anyone else has noticed the huge metal sheets recently painted with red & white stripes covering holes in the southbound carriageway from clock roundabout, past Prajak Circle & down Thahan Road.
They seem to be “secured” by a small amount of tarmac but otherwise left loose & if you dab your brakes when on one you can hear & feel it slide 😳
Well dont do it then . Been like it for months , as is southbound Tahan road .

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 21, 2021, 11:47 pm

Made a big mistake today. Coming back from the school run, found the soi which had a ramp to enter the new raised concrete road on the ring road north bound just south of Nongsai junction. Watched as 2 lines of traffic zipped past northbound, saw a space, and pulled out. Facing me was a big truck going Southbound ..... managed to stop in time. Somethings never change!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 22, 2021, 6:32 am

work ramping up at gods intersection .. obviously trying to hit the target completion time of end ov July .. near side inbound side is getting all the soil from the old triangular island to raise up the level ready for concrete which i was told yesterday .. inbound will be full 6 lanes plus a paved path / promenade with the old traffic lights only in use for the right turn into the airport expressway roughly the same as the lights directly on the airport main. gate... so it will be Le Mans high speed on the cambered curve.. PEA due today to start move the 4 huge poles 3m into the car park which many moons ago were erected in the wrong place on the boundary. :shock: :shock:

Must say still its been a relatively painless project to date with little or no traffic hold ups and it will be better for traffic flow and more pleasing on the eye when finished .. plus ive got a nice dog walking zone =D> ...well done to the West side team.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 22, 2021, 8:26 am

saint wrote:
June 21, 2021, 11:51 am
Niggly wrote:
June 21, 2021, 10:30 am
Well dont do it then . Been like it for months , as is southbound Tahan road .
Don’t do what then?
Dab my brakes when driving?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 22, 2021, 9:05 am

A GOOD driver is always fully aware as far as he can be of all surroundings including the road surface or other impediments and drives accordingly .
These days most moan because they are unable to drive correctly and seek to blame others for their shortcomings.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 22, 2021, 9:27 am

So you don’t advocate a dab on the brakes under any circumstances then?

Oh yeah, I forgot, you prefer to brake check anyone you think is following too close which is really “GOOD” driving isn’t it

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 22, 2021, 9:52 am

I’m off into town.

Taking bets on whether I will make it without using my brakes.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 22, 2021, 2:31 pm

I have to report for the wannabe 10 to 2s that brakes had to be used on the journey. The occasional dab as well as a more firm depress was needed at various points.

Sorry to everyone concerned

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 22, 2021, 6:34 pm

When I was learning back before Niggly was even conceived, my then Military Driving instructor did n ot allow brakes top be used ( We trained in Wales ) but we had to learn to determine which gear was required and`used them to slow or speed up. Plus his cup of water on the3 dash could also NOT be spilt Also coupled with accelerator control .
Nowadays people use brakes not gears to slow down , not reading the road and it conditions.

A sad reflection of many drivers today , who quickly accuse others of bad driving etc, when they fall so often in good driving skills. But then that is todays younger generation ( Those under 60ish. ) .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 22, 2021, 6:45 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 22, 2021, 6:34 pm
When I was learning back before Niggly was even conceived, my then Military Driving instructor did n ot allow brakes top be used ( We trained in Wales ) but we had to learn to determine which gear was required and`used them to slow or speed up. Plus his cup of water on the3 dash could also NOT be spilt Also coupled with accelerator control .
Nowadays people use brakes not gears to slow down , not reading the road and it conditions.

A sad reflection of many drivers today , who quickly accuse others of bad driving etc, when they fall so often in good driving skills. But then that is todays younger generation ( Those under 60ish. ) .
You really are a tool.

Likening this little exercise to city driving in traffic in an automatic vehicle no less is just stupid.

You haven’t advocated a dab on the brakes under any circumstances then as originally asked from your post? That swerve could constitute dangerous driving

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 22, 2021, 7:59 pm

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”