Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 30, 2021, 1:38 pm

Just had a zoom around on the Zoomer to get some shopping in and can confirm the roads are as dead as a dodo .. took in Papafarangs , Tesco extra and 7-11 x 2.. ring road and Kuthap rd empty.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 4, 2021, 9:02 am

An update of the situation at Udons gold medal intersection ... main roady crew now just about finished and down to the path way/side walk layers now who it appears are putting another water drain pipe under the pavements .. numerous pallets of paving slabs have been delivered ans are on the new main concrete road going into town and in the evening still zero lighting so only a matter of time before they snaffle a truck or motorsai.

Possibly due to schools closed the paving gang have brought their young kids and bikes which isnt a good mix on such a busy road , twood appear they are camping on the waste ground nearby.

Tarmac gang sat waiting to lay the top 5cm on the inner frontage / slip road which IMO is really not ready yet as heaps of sand and lots of bodies etc on it . ** beware this frontage road that runs right outside the Tap car park and busy duck noodle shop will see carnage ensue as speeding vehicles use it to beat the traffic turning right to the airport on the main HW

AT DARK TIME EXTREME CARE NEEDED TRANSITING THIS AREA...why no lights is anyones guess.

NO WAY this project will be completed by 25th August

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 6, 2021, 7:39 am

Well yesterday while popping out for some urgent shopping, I found that just about 100 metres from the Nongnakham turn going towards Nong Han on the Sakon Nahkon Road , they were installing a PEDESTRIAN CROSSING (No lights ) right across this stretch of DUAL CARRIAGE way . With all the Road markings applied .( which over time willfade top almost nothing ) , as there is a petrol station, 7-11 and the junction.

The only indication was a sign some 200 metres before the crossing say crossing and 80 KPH then 100 metres nearer a sign that said 50 Kph . Now coming from Udon as it just after a junction it would be easy to reduce speed automatically, hoiwever coming from the other just after you come round a bend heaqding off down the straight to Udon, well to me it will be an invitation for deaths and mayhem .
The only possible reason would be for the Stupoa that is on the LHS going towards Nonghan, but the Department of Roadsd must have had their heads stuck where the sun does not shine to dream up this crossing, can just imagine the problems as Thais do not stop in town at crossings, probably never will on a DUAL CARRIAGE way, mayube set up a chair and parasol to watch the accidents and deaths .
Spoke to Highway Patrol officers parked near to wherre I went, they had no clue and were apparently surprised, so off they went to investigate . Their thoughts as I understood them was WHY ??

So if you ever wonder about logic here in Road Planning and enforcement look no further

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 6, 2021, 8:07 am

Khun Paul wrote:
August 6, 2021, 7:39 am
Well yesterday while popping out for some urgent shopping, I found that just about 100 metres from the Nongnakham turn going towards Nong Han on the Sakon Nahkon Road , they were installing a PEDESTRIAN CROSSING (No lights ) right across this stretch of DUAL CARRIAGE way . With all the Road markings applied .( which over time willfade top almost nothing ) , as there is a petrol station, 7-11 and the junction.

The only indication was a sign some 200 metres before the crossing say crossing and 80 KPH then 100 metres nearer a sign that said 50 Kph . Now coming from Udon as it just after a junction it would be easy to reduce speed automatically, hoiwever coming from the other just after you come round a bend heaqding off down the straight to Udon, well to me it will be an invitation for deaths and mayhem .
The only possible reason would be for the Stupoa that is on the LHS going towards Nonghan, but the Department of Roadsd must have had their heads stuck where the sun does not shine to dream up this crossing, can just imagine the problems as Thais do not stop in town at crossings, probably never will on a DUAL CARRIAGE way, mayube set up a chair and parasol to watch the accidents and deaths .
Spoke to Highway Patrol officers parked near to wherre I went, they had no clue and were apparently surprised, so off they went to investigate . Their thoughts as I understood them was WHY ??

So if you ever wonder about logic here in Road Planning and enforcement look no further
Indeed KP a strange place to put a road crossing as that is a very busy stretch of HW with the 7 11 etc there ...a crossing is way cheaper than building a raised foot bridge..im sure its been well thought out prior to installation..and what covid dont get the roads do.

Back in the civilized West side part of town .. anyone transiting the AP/RR Olympic intersection be aware they are in the process of tarmacing all 3 entrances and exits from the main junction .. inbound is done and today looks like its the outbound to NBLP and AP road today , that will just leave the frontage slip roads to do when path n drain gang finish , there are approx 20 workers plus a couple of kids doing the side walks not a nice job in this heat makes me sweat just sat eating a mango ice cream watching them.

As previously stated at night it is a real dangerous zone as zero lighting with construction machines equipment and materials left in the dark.

There was a big cheese site meeting at 7am this morning , hard hats n florescent jackets all round .. didnt look too impressed by some of the work and in truth in parts it is a tad shoddy.

Tried out a section of the new dog walking area 6am this morning .. my Russels Jack n Jill seems to like it and were very good to poop on the waste ground adjacent thus not to deface the new paving... its a tad warm very early today and walking the dogs topless is fraught with car horns beeping and young ladies wolf whistling ..im used to it even tho my handsome man and bell ringing days are long gone.

Im guessing they are re printing the tickets to the grand opening bash with a different date .. TBA .. hopefully before the Christmas and New Year rush.

DM

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 6, 2021, 9:09 am

DM this should make ya happy about drain layers
39943082_661652350885398_9089811645009494016_n.jpg
The villagers came out to yell at the administrators Subdistrict Municipality. Placing a drainage pipe to solve the problem of flooding, almost 100 meters long, spending almost 3 hundred thousand baht, but instead of laying the pipe below the soil surface Back higher than the road surface by more than 30-50 cm. Just completed less than a month. become a barrier to stop flooding

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 6, 2021, 9:21 am

noosard wrote:
August 6, 2021, 9:09 am

The villagers came out to yell at the administrators Subdistrict Municipality. Placing a drainage pipe to solve the problem of flooding, almost 100 meters long, spending almost 3 hundred thousand baht, but instead of laying the pipe below the soil surface Back higher than the road surface by more than 30-50 cm. Just completed less than a month. become a barrier to stop flooding
UCMTSU .... Deary me ..to be hoped non of the residents have a car they wish to garage ...

As KP says its all down to the planning :lol: :lol: .. and i suppose they have solved the flooding issue.

No such problems at Udons love junction .. all our pipes are safely underground with large man holes that you really dont wanna fall down :shock:

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 6, 2021, 11:52 am

Update on the 50 kph Pedestrian crossing on a dual carriageway, this morning SDomchai and his mkinions were installing a bridge between the two side so pedestrians did not have to climb down a ramp across squishy ground and up the other side of the central median, ideal for motorbikes and will probably last about the same time as most bridges , weeks rather than months`.

As a note while slowing top tufn at the U- turn just past this crossing a Ten-wheeler and trailer past me going at some speed, rocking the car and speed over this crossing at what I would gather at 90-110 kph.
If I was a gambling man I would bet at least one in jury / death a week over the next few months

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 6, 2021, 12:02 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
August 6, 2021, 11:52 am
Update on the 50 kph Pedestrian crossing on a dual carriageway, this morning SDomchai and his mkinions were installing a bridge between the two side so pedestrians did not have to climb down a ramp across squishy ground and up the other side of the central median, ideal for motorbikes and will probably last about the same time as most bridges , weeks rather than months`.

As a note while slowing top tufn at the U- turn just past this crossing a Ten-wheeler and trailer past me going at some speed, rocking the car and speed over this crossing at what I would gather at 90-110 kph.
If I was a gambling man I would bet at least one in jury / death a week over the next few months
You sound disappointed KP .. were you hoping for more ?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 6, 2021, 1:21 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
August 6, 2021, 12:02 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
August 6, 2021, 11:52 am

You sound disappointed KP .. were you hoping for more ?
Hoping for none but expecting that if not more

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 8, 2021, 10:44 am

Must have been a recent (bad?) accident on southern HWY2 ring road crossroads. Tyre marks & broken glass all over the right turn lane & a shattered windscreen complete with surround, bulk head & wiper arms & blades still attached lying on the central reservation.
All the broken glass on the road looks to be laminated so probably no risk of puncturing tyres but best to take care. I can’t see anyone attending to it for the foreseeable future, there was a dead dog in nearly the same place for a week not so long ago
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 8, 2021, 10:48 am

SNAP .. accident outside at Udons gold medal none transgender intersection early this morning .. pick up v pallet of slabs ..the slabs won by TKO .

BTW ..RIP to the dog

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 8, 2021, 10:52 am

Aah, but were you left a broken windscreen souvenir like the generous southerners ?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 9, 2021, 8:05 am

After the recent pick up v pallet of slabs prang .. early this morning they appear to be removing the evidence and moving said slabs having borrowed a forklift truck from the factory..

Main road appears now finished but frontage / slip roads not , also paths and drainage dragging on n on , i wouldnt want these xxxxx cowboys laying me a patio ..the paving is a tad shoddy to say the least.

I cant understand why there has been zero night time lighting for this whole project ..its very dangerous after dark even at these latter stages its as black as a Kenyan long distance runner...(can i say that)

Finished 25th :lol: :lol: :lol: my arse.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 9, 2021, 3:11 pm

Not bad around town. The blokes standing in holes between Prajak Circle & Soi Jintakarm lights don’t even seem to be causing problems today.
Central car park was pretty empty too

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 13, 2021, 1:37 pm

Had the misfortune earlier to turn left onto the ring road from Soi Nong Bua lights & the surface was abysmal. Don’t know whether the rains have made it worse but between the lights & the MG dealership the potholes were more sinkholes. I was following two normal sedans & they were at a crawl trying to navigate the holes.
It’ll surely be worse now they’re full of water so can’t tell how big they are.

All other roads were reasonably quiet

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 15, 2021, 9:51 am

Anyone been into town recently?
I’m off on a road trip & there were some nasty road works earlier in the week

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 15, 2021, 3:00 pm

Niggly wrote:
August 13, 2021, 1:37 pm
Had the misfortune earlier to turn left onto the ring road from Soi Nong Bua lights & the surface was abysmal. Don’t know whether the rains have made it worse but between the lights & the MG dealership the potholes were more sinkholes. I was following two normal sedans & they were at a crawl trying to navigate the holes.
It’ll surely be worse now they’re full of water so can’t tell how big they are.

All other roads were reasonably quiet
That stretch was a nightmare after the rain before I left and that was almost 12 weeks ago. Good to see see that the typical Isaan rate of progress won't be denied even with all the high-tech concrete pavers.

OK, they've only got the one.

I must assume that this state of paralysis must also prevail north of Global and the chicane at PTT is still in place and the bridge still awaiting pilings?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 15, 2021, 3:38 pm

tamada wrote:
August 15, 2021, 3:00 pm

I must assume that this state of paralysis must also prevail north of Global and the chicane at PTT is still in place and the bridge still awaiting pilings?
I guess you’re talking about the ring road just past ToolPro/Mitsubishi.
I drove through that on Friday & u turned opposite the mahoosive house to get to a garden centre.
I was surprised at the amount of activity going on. There were dozens of Somchais bustling about & lots of heavy machinery chugging to & fro. I guess the pilings have been delivered.
Funnily enough, I drove through again today & it was deserted. It is Sunday mind you

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » August 15, 2021, 3:41 pm

Miles long car mob, anti-gov protest just went through the center of town. Anyone else see it? Honking, flags, 3 finger salute, etc. Looks like this movement is gaining steam.
Last edited by anefarious1 on August 15, 2021, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 15, 2021, 3:48 pm

noosard wrote:
August 6, 2021, 9:09 am

I was the victim of this intriguing style of municipal drainage upgrade about 40 years ago in front of my block of three smart new townhomes, just south of what is now Pattaya Third Road (before Buakhao had been invented). The car ports became unusable with the lower mezzanine perpetually dark and when the first rainy season came, the downstairs dunnies stopped flushing. After a few years, I divorced the missus, sold the lot and moved to La Bella Casa, just east of Third but two summers later, the rainy season floods were made worse by the same bloody lake slowly moving inland past my gate. I eventually moved north to Naklua and out of the way of any moving lakes.

It all started with Pattaya's management relocating a small lake that used to lie just east of Beach Road at Soi 12 further inland so as to free up more premium beach front freehold. With the perpetual landfilling and shophouses sprouting along Buakhao and Third, more premium land was needed and the "fill and push" strategy saw this natural 'wet spot' moved inexorably eastwards over Third (though La Bella Casa) and Soi Bongkot before finally resting up about 20 years later, somewhere near the west end of Soi Batman, about 500 meters shy of Sukhumvit. Around four years ago hundreds of lorries started dumping broken concrete and rebar from other 'redevelopment' in that swamp and it has become all jungly now but I'm sure it's already tagged for some Thai residential birdhouse condo.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”