Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 27, 2021, 2:31 pm

Residents on the inner frontage road have expressed their worries about the huge number of vehicles transiting the slip road at crazy high speeds.
Last update said some sort of speed bumps / retarders were being mooted at the Romyen village end going towards Udon where vehicles are veering left to miss the red lights... making it worse is the fact it is a blind curve and coming out of the car park and Nong Him duck Noodle shop is very dangerous.

Speed bumps would do the trick ..alas signs etc are ignored totally.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 27, 2021, 2:53 pm

DM why wouldnt we use the resources that are available at present rather than spending additional Baht on this problem?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 27, 2021, 3:11 pm

Doodoo wrote:
November 27, 2021, 2:53 pm
DM why wouldnt we use the resources that are available at present rather than spending additional Baht on this problem?
Not sure i get what you mean doodoo .. what resources at on hand to successfully counter this issue other than a few inexpensive spaced speed bumps.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 27, 2021, 7:27 pm

My wife and I lived in Italy for 4 years Stationed and never encounters the lunacy we have on Udon's roads. Yes we drove throughout the country during those 4 years. My wife and I spent a holiday in Italy (including Rome) just a few years ago. Rented a car and traveled all over the northern half of the country and into France and Switzerland. Never encountered anything like the idiots we have on the roads here.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 27, 2021, 7:33 pm

Really very little thought process went into this piece of Thai "engineering". Strange they had money for this abomination but ignored the need for a proper U-turn lane at the 3 way intersection where the ring road turns towards Khon Kaen.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 27, 2021, 8:30 pm

From my perspective, it is really a bit of a chicken and egg conundrum.

Since I arrived here to live in 2007, there has definitely been an overall improvement in driving skills and manners.

However, given the hopeless level of enforcement by the lazy and corrupt cops, it is only going to improve very slowly.

That together with the seeming lack of understanding of those who design the roads. I continue to shake my head at the crazy road markings, with solid yellow lines where there should be broken lines to signal overtaking allowed, but more concerningly, where broken lines lead into sharp bends, and blind crests.

Not that it probably makes much difference to the average driver.

And then you have the current situation such as in Ban Dung (and no doubt elsewhere) where new stop signs have been placed appropriately at dangerous 4 way intersections. More often than not vehicles facing the stop signs steam right through, while those not required to stop do so (stop) anyway. This was "highlighted" recently when I was riding behind a fully laden cement mixer truck, which tooted twice when approaching a stop sign, and then just planted its foot straight through the intersection. :shock:

Rant finished. :D

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 28, 2021, 6:58 am

The NEW pedestrian crossing on the Sakon Hahkon road just poast my turning near the Chedi, was installed and with it signs for slowing to 80 and then 60.
Well since then numerous near misses and a few accidents as some do slow down but then irritate those behind who either fail to see or will completely ignore all signs wherever they are placed. Among the offenders are the usual; Government agencies, including the RTP and numerous Bus companies, in fact I am sure it will take a DEATH before anything is done. Added to that at no point ever, has any enforcement been carried out whatsoever.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 28, 2021, 10:48 am

Must be more serious residents complaints recently as a SUNDAY morning meeting on the relatively new Le Mans speedway slip road by some official looking people wearing crowns .. this may have been pre arranged /scheduled but hot on the heels of an RTA on the said stretch last night... i was watching NBLP V Port Fc on the telly and heard to crunch so was circa 7 to 7-30 pm.. a few bent objects this morning but no blood stains.

It still amazes me the amount of road users that are going the wrong way against the traffic flow not only on the inner slip road but the main highway just to save a trip to the nearest U turn ... one serial transgressor is an elderly lady on a motorsai n saleng whom i see every morning on my dog walk.. she is either crazy or so heavily templerized and being looked over from above hence has no fear of death.

SPEED BUMPS REQUIRED ASAP

DM

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » November 28, 2021, 11:03 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 27, 2021, 2:31 pm
Residents on the inner frontage road have expressed their worries about the huge number of vehicles transiting the slip road at crazy high speeds.
Last update said some sort of speed bumps / retarders were being mooted at the Romyen village end going towards Udon where vehicles are veering left to miss the red lights... making it worse is the fact it is a blind curve and coming out of the car park and Nong Him duck Noodle shop is very dangerous.

Speed bumps would do the trick ..alas signs etc are ignored totally.

DM
My sister-in-law says if you go fast enough you don't even feel the speed bumps!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 30, 2021, 6:34 pm

I found its always best to admit defeat and take your punishment .. in this case should be a durian inserted up my anal.passage as i dropped a right bollock today .. decided to go Korat then Buriram .. UD to Korat absolute disaster .. the sheer volume of vehicles n ppl on the roads was crazy made it a 7 hr trip to Korat normalky 4 ....every PPTpacked .. Amazon q out the door every roadside gai yang somtam stand busy .. it was like a songhkran holiday .. all.i can think twas last day of November and with all the malls n tourist places etc opening up.in Bkk tomorrow 1st Dec ... maybe one reason .. all the motorbikes , tvs fans that came back from.Bkk cos id covid closures appear to be going back .. thousands of loaded pick ups with ppl.perched on top .. smile n put it down to expirience ..

Now anyone git a durian ??????? And 20 mins to spare ??

One bright spot .. Korat city center o Buriam cityvcenter 2 hrs 15 mins as now all the 226 is dual lane ..

DM

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 30, 2021, 6:39 pm

Can I suggest a different reason.

People are trying to escape before Prayut arrives in UT tomorrow.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 30, 2021, 6:49 pm

Sandbags in place, quadruple locks on all gates and AK47 Primed and in situ in case he brings Anutin with him :-"

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 8, 2021, 6:14 pm

Not so much Udon as everywhere .. really heavy traffic.
Ud to Bkk .via a very chilly Khao yai ..lots of holidaying Thais this week with last long weekend running to another BH this Friday many appear to be taking the whole week as a camping jolly n visiting the national parks ..
Should be a bit quieter tomorrow ..to Nong ki Buriram Sisaket and Ubon where i shall eat (not 7-11 ready meal )drink n be merry at a mates bday gig .. MSK friday then back udon so applogies missing the UOFES meeting.

See some real crazy things on the road .. so anyone driving allow more time n be vigilant.

DM

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 18, 2022, 6:25 am

Today is Udon's birthday, expect traffic.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 18, 2022, 9:46 am

Mukkha Montri Street blocked off for the dancers in front of the Amphur office.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 18, 2022, 5:28 pm

Late news:
Fireworks to celebrate 129 years in Udon Thani
Start from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
January 18, 2022
held at the courtyard in front of the Udon Thani City Museum

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 18, 2022, 6:30 pm

While out on my bike, I saw a bevy of middle-aged ladies (and one katoey) in resplendent orange and black traditional finery having what appeared to be a pre-festivities breakfast in one of the parking lots of Nong Bua lake other side from the Chinese temple. I assume they headed off into town later for their part of the city's birthday do.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 25, 2022, 5:44 pm

At least we don't have this in Udon.
<iframe id="reddit-embed" src="https://www.redditmedia.com/r/Ohio/comm ... embed=true" sandbox="allow-scripts allow-same-origin allow-popups" style="border: none;" scrolling="no" width="640" height="476"></iframe>

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 26, 2022, 2:33 pm

Noticed the installation yesterday.
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/udon-thani ... -accident/
Maybe they should install Belisha beacons.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 1, 2022, 6:08 pm

The national, notional knee jerk.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”