Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 5, 2021, 7:09 am

parrot wrote:
September 3, 2021, 3:04 pm
I drove through the Tap bypass today on the way into town. Unlike the bypass at the kilo 8 PTT station, the Tap bypass is 2 lane, so cars wanting to tank up on duck soup or the latest in Tap offerings have a slow-down lane.
I'll guess that big trucks will be restricted from using the bypass....okay, so maybe just signs, but that'll give the police a reason to set up tables on the other side of the light (ok with me!).
I see the new work as a big plus......though, I'll give it time for some fine-tuning before giving it an A
For sure the new look junction is a big improvement but its come at a price unless some thing is done carnage will ensue.

Also ..well spotted Mr P the new inner frontage road is 2 lanes which means regardless of any signs or police tables (non yet but coming ) all manner of vehicles are transiting this route at high speed from motorbikes to the big 18 twin huge lorries n tankers .... basically just to cut out a few second stop at the traffic lights..it is very dangerous for anyone living on this slip road and people using the businesses based there ..

Nong Hin duck noodle entrance is now directly on the new road were as before was 10m away

The Tap is now an empty building ..gone and up for rent again.

Oh yeah .. one of the steel drain inspection covers is loose so every time a vehicle drives over we get a loud rattle that travels all the way into our unit up the stair and into bed .. bloody annoying but i believe its being addressed via NHDN owners wife phone call to the Tesaban... in the meantime as well as my PPE and face mask im now wearing ear mufflers in bed

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 5, 2021, 3:28 pm

Not the answer to all the problems......but I've seen a variety of people complain on https://www.facebook.com/groups/1472697 ... 7676213788 and subsequently have their problems resolved.......a noisy street grate near the airport among one of the more recent problems fixed.

The duck noodle shop that 'was' 10 meters away from the road was always on the private property/government property line. Like a lot of businesses, they're able to take advantage of that 'government' piece until the government decides to do something with it.....like widen the road. As I recall, when the tunnel/overpass was being built, there was screaming and gnashing of teeth for a kilometer stretch on either side of the NK Hwy as shops suddenly found themselves not having the benefit of places to park their junked vehicles or display their wares for passing traffic. I agree......I wouldn't want to live on the edge of a public road.......but in the dinosaur days, those roads were footpaths.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 5, 2021, 4:21 pm

Parrot it doesn't take more than a little common sense to realize that this bypass just like the one further down the road are nothing more than a disaster. I could understand more if they were installing a frontage road like they have in Khon Kaen but that's not the situation we have here. Both bypasses do nothing but avoid the traffic signals which were installed to control traffic. Totally useless thinking displaying total lack of concern/caring for the people/businesses which exist along this road.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 5, 2021, 5:32 pm

fdimike wrote:
September 5, 2021, 4:21 pm
Parrot it doesn't take more than a little common sense to realize that this bypass just like the one further down the road are nothing more than a disaster. I could understand more if they were installing a frontage road like they have in Khon Kaen but that's not the situation we have here. Both bypasses do nothing but avoid the traffic signals which were installed to control traffic. Totally useless thinking displaying total lack of concern/caring for the people/businesses which exist along this road.
Couldnt agree more .. im.pretty sure nothing will done tp improve the safety of this new race lane addition to the intersection .. as more people get used to it more are thundering down rather than stay on the main drag n use the traffic lights.
Ive already decided im.moving on n wont be re newing the lease on the office unit based there come the new year.

Dm

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 5, 2021, 6:28 pm

fdimike wrote:
September 5, 2021, 4:21 pm
The kilo 8 "bypass" is not a traffic light bypass, it's the PTT filter lane. If the PTT access was direct from the main road, you'd have slow traffic turning off or coming out at a t-junction. You would also have silly buggers outbound to NBLP turning right across traffic to use the place. That's way less clever and more likely to cause a prang than a single vehicle shooting around the "bypass". If you're too slow to catch the PTT filter lane and haven't sussed out what a "stale" traffic light is yet, boo bloody hoo.

Thanks to Niggly, we now know there's TWO through lanes at DM's overhyped t-junction over there somewhere. All this time he's been suggesting a single lane and blethering about untold amounts of carnage where in reality, it's all about some itinerant noodle selling squatters having more road dust on their food than before. That and a washed-up business that nobody will touch with a bargepole so boo bloody hoo.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 5, 2021, 6:50 pm

^ Me?
Have I inadvertently given some accurate, helpful information. My mistake, sorry

Note to self:
Must remember to proof read posts
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 5, 2021, 7:51 pm

Tug boat Tammy tantrums 555 ..

It was Mr Parrot who confirmed as i had already done the new inner frontage road is 2 lanes ..
Your comments on the busineeses located on the said road are at best inaccurate illinformed n obtuse .. the Noodler has been established very successfully there for decades and lost a few car park spaces ..the factory n outlet shop turn over in excess of 9 mil pcm and the Tap has closed down due to Paul.passing away and covid .. as for 3DM .. its very flexible n can be operated from.any location and having survived hopefully the worst of covid will crank up as n when our customers open up..nowt spoling as my old gran used to say...
Isnt it time for a life boat drill Jammy ???

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 6, 2021, 9:00 am

I haven’t visited yet (came out in front of the airport but didn’t get as far as the lurrrve junction) so let me try & get this straight or at the very least high speed curved.

On the ring road, travelling clockwise from Big C, there are still 3 traffic light controlled lanes but there has now been a 2 lane light bypass strip added in front of The Tap presumably segregated with those little plastic bollards?

Has the speed limit been reduced for this section?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 6, 2021, 9:25 am

Niggly wrote:
September 6, 2021, 9:00 am
I haven’t visited yet (came out in front of the airport but didn’t get as far as the lurrrve junction) so let me try & get this straight or at the very least high speed curved.

On the ring road, travelling clockwise from Big C, there are still 3 traffic light controlled lanes but there has now been a 2 lane light bypass strip added in front of The Tap presumably segregated with those little plastic bollards? YES but no bollards

Has the speed limit been reduced for this section? NOits increased

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 6, 2021, 9:32 am

How are the filter lanes segregated if no bollards?

Has it really increased or are people just driving faster? (I’m guessing it’s still posted as 90kph or maybe that is a 60kph section?)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 6, 2021, 9:49 am

No signs of any kind installed as yet .. including speed limits ..the issue is this lane cuts out a brief stop at the lights so its got very busy very quick with vehicles transiting it way too fast..

Good news the council boys are here now putting rubber strips under the drain cover grates / lids to stop the noise as they are ran over.

The inner slip / frontage lanes are separated from the main drag by a paved raised divider section .. with black n white kerbs.. new street lights are on this as well so at least the inner road is well lit.

Hope that helps

Just noticed the traffic lights are back on only flashing amber not sequence .. ????

DM
Last edited by Drunk Monkey on September 6, 2021, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 6, 2021, 9:51 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 6, 2021, 9:49 am

Hope that helps

DM
Perfect👍

Put the kettle on, I’ll be passing through shortly. (Milk, no sugar, cheers)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 6, 2021, 9:56 am

Niggly wrote:
September 6, 2021, 9:51 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 6, 2021, 9:49 am

Hope that helps

DM
Perfect👍

Put the kettle on, I’ll be passing through shortly. (Milk, no sugar, cheers)
Bring some tissues you may get all juicy n fruity ...... the council turf layers are here laying the picnic area and bowling green , you may be able to pick up some tips as it appears there surface isnt moon like. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 6, 2021, 10:19 am

I’ve always got a pack of moist wet wipes to hand for just such an occasion

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 6, 2021, 2:05 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 6, 2021, 9:25 am
Niggly wrote:
September 6, 2021, 9:00 am

On the ring road, travelling clockwise from Big C, there are still 3 traffic light controlled lanes but there has now been a 2 lane light bypass strip added in front of The Tap presumably segregated with those little plastic bollards? YES but no bollards

Has the speed limit been reduced for this section? NOits increased
WALOBollards!
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 6, 2021, 2:52 pm

Tam the km 8 bypass lane is just that. I have been out that way many times on my bicycle. 99% of all the traffic using that lane do not turn into the PTT station but continue straight on down the road. Sure looks like a bypass to me. If you continue further there is another bypass (makeshift) at the 3 way junction with the ring road to Khon Kaen. Vehicles use the parking area on the left (going into town) to bypass the traffic light.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 6, 2021, 4:19 pm

fdimike wrote:
September 6, 2021, 2:52 pm
Tam the km 8 bypass lane is just that. I have been out that way many times on my bicycle. 99% of all the traffic using that lane do not turn into the PTT station but continue straight on down the road. Sure looks like a bypass to me. If you continue further there is another bypass (makeshift) at the 3 way junction with the ring road to Khon Kaen. Vehicles use the parking area on the left (going into town) to bypass the traffic light.
Polly here with a followup:

As you approach the kilo 8 3-way heading into town, there are 3 signs......one says 6wheel vehicles cannot pass by on the left, another is the international sign with a straight arrow/red cross mark with the words 6 wheel vehicles, and the third sign, says "ชิดซ้าย ผ่านตลอด" which my elementary Thai says 'stay left, pass all the time"
My interpretation is that it is a bypass, like the one at Tap, like the two on Srisuk Rd near Udonpit, and like the one on Dutsadi Rd and (what is transliterated as) Srisutta Rd are all bypass roads, allowing traffic to pass to the left, even when the light is red. I'm a big fan, sorry about that.
The 3 way at Kilo 5 (ring road turning to KK Hwy or Airport), does not allow vehicles to pass. Some will pass through what's a parking lot, but the traffic cops will ticket them if they're doing their thing on the ring road.
Me being a polly, I'm willing to eat my cracker if I'm wrong......sort of like the 1970's longtimer here who never did figure out how to use the traffic circles who finally had a wreck and had the police point out his error.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » September 6, 2021, 4:27 pm

parrot wrote:
September 6, 2021, 4:19 pm
I'm willing to eat my cracker
:lol:
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 6, 2021, 5:52 pm

It’s the same as the one they’ve recently put in front of Udonpichairakpitaya School outside the airport entrance. I’m guessing there should be some signage to say it’s not to be used to avoid a red light on the single lane straight ahead carriageway because it’s a school & not strictly a bypass lane but I can’t see any markings.

The thing with the lanes outside The Tap is unless you know the road because it’s on a bend you can’t see a clear egress back onto the highway. On approach it could easily be just for access to businesses.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 6, 2021, 6:29 pm

I'm sure everyone on this forum know very well just what Thai drivers think about traffic control signs. They mean absolutely nothing to them. Stop signs, Yield signs and the lot are just a total waste of money to Thais because essentially ignore them as there are no consequences for their unwillingness to obey. Lucky they even stop at a red traffic light and even then you have motorcycles and some cars making an illegal "U turn" at the red light. Drive on the correct side of the road? Come on why? I've even seen numerous westerners following their Thai counterparts driving on the wrong side of the road. Monkey see monkey do! TIT

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”