Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 12, 2021, 7:40 am

yes agree Niggly (also ignoring that post) ... it aint rocket science to form a little zig zag with concrete bollards at the entrance to the frontage / slip road thus forcing the speeding truckers etc to slow down and think twice .. this makes it a pointless exercise to use this lane trying to beat the lights...shame i doubt it will happen.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 12, 2021, 7:51 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 12, 2021, 7:40 am
yes agree Niggly (also ignoring that post) ... it aint rocket science to form a little zig zag with concrete bollards at the entrance to the frontage / slip road thus forcing the speeding truckers etc to slow down and think twice .. this makes it a pointless exercise to use this lane trying to beat the lights...shame i doubt it will happen.

DM
It's probably has nothing to do with the contractor either. I doubt he designed this overrated exercise in giving indolent old farangs something to moan about on the internet (but thanks anyway). He's probably following someone else's brilliant idea on traffic junction management. Maybe the same people that designed the empty Nittayo flyover and almost empty Udondutsadi underpass?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 12, 2021, 8:09 am

tamada wrote:
September 12, 2021, 7:51 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 12, 2021, 7:40 am

DM
It's probably has nothing to do with the contractor either. I doubt he designed this overrated exercise in giving indolent old farangs something to moan about on the internet (but thanks anyway). He's probably following someone else's brilliant idea on traffic junction management. Maybe the same people that designed the empty Nittayo flyover and almost empty Udondutsadi underpass?
With your current limited connectivity you must have magnificent set of binoculars being able to witness events in Udon from the middle of the high seas ..NO ??

I would generally concur with you Jammy but it seems everyone living and or working on the frontage road is not happy with this new created hazzard on the door step (not only an old safety conscious falang).. and all have voiced concern.

You are however correct :shock: saying there have been a few road projects that do seem a bit light on use in turn making one question there pre planning design ideas.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 12, 2021, 10:07 am

There are pre-planning designs but as this is a National Road as well as being a Ring Road for udon, I understand different rules and protocols are observed and local views are secondary to this . Sad but in respect to National Roads, the Higher authority holds sway over local preferences.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 12, 2021, 10:50 am

Khun Paul wrote:
September 12, 2021, 10:07 am
There are pre-planning designs but as this is a National Road as well as being a Ring Road for udon, I understand different rules and protocols are observed and local views are secondary to this . Sad but in respect to National Roads, the Higher authority holds sway over local preferences.
Not sure about that KP ... National level covers all the highways n motorways etc , then departments at local level cover the provincial cities n towns .. you also have the DRR ..department of rural roads which as it suggests covers rural roads at village level via Pooyabans etc
To add..
Yes the money indirectly comes from Bkk national level but via the provincial governors department then contracts awarded by the Tesaban after "quotes" are in .. the design booklet we received was clearly produced at local level and the planning design signed off also at Udon Tesaban level and local residents were contacted and part of the objection procedures , strangely about the same time as a purchase of brown envelopes. even with some loosing a meter or 2 from their properties its not worked out too bad .. would be great to have thought out the red light skippers on the inner road but thats called hindsight and no one had a crystal ball handy....niggles ziggy zaggy thing would definately work and i will suggest it and claim the glory if it goes ahead.

End result is an excellent job ..all be it this annoyance with the frontage road issue.. with the new improved lighting its very well lit up , brand new wider smooth road surface and safer pedestrian paths etc that are great for me and my doggies.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 12, 2021, 11:40 am

Don’t forget the width restriction at the start if you want all the glory.

Standard width restrictions in the UK are 6’ 6” (198cm) from the days when the empire ruled everything. Considering normal cars have got a lot wider to match waistlines, a standard Hilux is now 190cm, I’d go for a central gap of 250cm. That should be enough to slow down speeders entering the lane & also narrow enough to stop anything bigger that a truck without careful manoeuvring which would defeat the object of cutting a red light.

Oh, & can someone arrange an urgent delivery of Aloe Vera to Nong Na Kham. There’s a distinct smell of burning. Cheers
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 13, 2021, 10:39 am

Agree DM however as it is a national Road, the details etc would have had to be passed before the Province was given the go ahead, which begs the question, although hindsight is not utilised, after a fedw decades of designing roads you would think that someone somewhere would actually ask the pertinent questions, unless of course above their pay grade.
Not the width restrictions beloved by Niggly , however you have to consider Emergency vehicle access and Fire Engines are NOT small.
I also grow my own Aloe vera, thanks Niggly, unless you need some to ease rubbing of moving parts and the creases in this heat..............lol

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 13, 2021, 7:35 pm

Over width Emergency service vehicles if needed would just enter from the other end. Not that difficult really

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 14, 2021, 7:48 am

Niggly wrote:
September 13, 2021, 7:35 pm
Over width Emergency service vehicles if needed would just enter from the other end. Not that difficult really
Genius ..pure genius =D> =D> ..

Overall its a great make over for the intersection i love so dearly .... but i would love to see my frontage road bollard zig zag idea come to fruition but even after suggesting it yesterday to the noodle mafia gang i doubt it will happen... more so the big steel drain access grill cover has come loose and making a very loud annoying rattling noise when vehicles run over it .. more boiling piss !!

Elsewhere .. traffic very conjested in and around the Uni due to covid vaccing for both Thais n expats its chocca and needs to be bypassed if possible.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 14, 2021, 8:24 am

Niggly wrote:
You mean like the motorbikes do already?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 14, 2021, 8:45 am

tamada wrote:
September 14, 2021, 8:24 am
Niggly wrote:
Actually Tammy with the new lay out one good thing is that motorbikes have stopped going to wrong way against the traffic flow .. before it was always happening coming out of the airport road and over the junction then up towards Romyen village now not seen one as the new raised frontage road divider has stopped it.

Cloudy skies steamed up binoculars and limited connectivity strikes again eh??

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 14, 2021, 8:55 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 14, 2021, 8:45 am
tamada wrote:
Niggly wrote:
Actually Tammy with the new lay out one good thing is that motorbikes have stopped going to wrong way against the traffic flow .. before it was always happening coming out of the airport road and over the junction then up towards Romyen village now not seen one as the new raised frontage road divider has stopped it.

DM
And of course your 24/7 live-stream cctv backed up to a cloud server covers the intersection from nowhere while you are 'off-grid' like when you're holding court at the UFES meetings or otherwise getting bladdered/jabbed/fed/petted, etc...
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 14, 2021, 9:22 am

tamada wrote:
September 14, 2021, 8:55 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
tamada wrote:
Niggly wrote:

DM
And of course your 24/7 live-stream cctv backed up to a cloud server covers the intersection from nowhere while you are 'off-grid' like when you're holding court at the UFES meetings or otherwise getting bladdered/jabbed/fed/petted, etc...
The UFES meetings are held Fridays at a secret location (FE handshake on entry) and i can confirm a full range of varied topics make up the minutes of the said get together..you are quite welcome to attend via video link if your worried about missing out.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 14, 2021, 9:34 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 14, 2021, 9:22 am
tamada wrote:
September 14, 2021, 8:55 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
tamada wrote:
Niggly wrote:

DM
The UFES meetings are held Fridays at a secret location (FE handshake on entry) and i can confirm a full range of varied topics make up the minutes of the said get together..you are quite welcome to attend via video link if your worried about missing out.

DM
No, no, no need for live stream. Your shared pictures of blokes with their nobs hanging out are quite sufficient, thanks.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 14, 2021, 10:45 am

tamada wrote:
Niggly wrote:
Yes, why not.
A Grab motorcy carrying a bucket of water could even get away with being classed as an emergency vehicle

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 14, 2021, 3:25 pm

Town was quiet at noon.
The busy section in front of the university was okay, there were men in holes on the other carriageway & through across Phosi Road was easy although this may have had something to do with the Thai Isan market & surrounding shops being closed.
Straight into Central & car park was quiet too, we got the first space after the reserved in front of the door 👍

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 15, 2021, 12:19 pm

Dropped in the main Post office and traffic was quite busy around that area .. just managed to find a parking spot at my fabulous hairstylist , manicure n wax location....

Latest news from last Fridays FES meeting ...it is now confirmed the Udon Expat gurning championships will be held in conjunction with the club and a gurning collar has been ordered... entrants are by application only as some may just turn up to watch and score a perfect 10 ..Tam .. also 2 other members who shall remain annonymouse have been banned from entering as it was deemed they have an unfair advantage hailing from Lancashire and Cleethorpes .

Back to the traffic ..after inspecting the works local Udon officials have confirmed the East side favelas road revamp will be finished by Christmas ...
Thats Christmas 2025.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 15, 2021, 12:26 pm

^ How will you know if some members are gurning & it’s not just how they look? I mean, pretty embarrassing to win if they’re just sitting in the audience.

Disclaimer:
I am excluded from this observation & entering said completion due to my natural wit, charm & boyish good looks 🤭

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 16, 2021, 7:31 am

a little speculation on why the east side ring road is being relaid with what appears to be (for once) really heavy duty concrete.. Could it have anything to do with the near completion of the China-Lao railway and the attendant freight traffic soon to be moving up and down that route? A huge "Logistics Center" (inland port with contrainer handling) is almost finished just south of the new Vientiane main railway station. That implies that soon, we'll be seeing a flood of trucks carrying containers moving by road heading south. The current single track line between KK and Nong Khai cannot handle a huge traffic load although I expect SRT will be hauling a goood bit. Until the KK to Nong Khai span is dual-tracked and fully modernized trucks will haul the goods. At least as far as the relatively new (2 years?) large logistics yard south of KK near Ban Pai. That would be a logical terminal point to drop containers for further hauling by train since the KK to Khorat span is dual tracked. Mind you, the section between Khorat and Saraburi through the hills is not yet done, but scheduled for completion within the next 18-24 months.. So, I think we can expect massive truck traffic in the near future clogging the east Ring Road more than it does now..

Parrot? Observations on any informatino floating around out there in the Thai media on getting the outer ring road built?
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 22, 2021, 4:50 pm

Well today did a trip through town and onto the Ring Road before the Nong Jhai flyover etc, turned right towards SWakon Nahkon and KK. I must say I take my hat off to the Road builders, only here just before the newly enlarged bridge ( not yet completed) have they mananged to make a FOUR lane road narrow down to ONE to deal with a chicane to go around the Road works, ( no working 4 day public holiday ) and today was a holiday took me15 minuites before I got into the chicane and then not long after that another narrowing fo the road top accomdate the traffic coming fprom the other direction to circumnavigate its new road being built, Part of the problem was impatient drivers trying to squeeze through not allowing for an ARTIC to turn , causing holdups. Un believable !!!!

MY advice if coming from Nong Khai, or that area on the other side and you wish to go to KK or Sakon, go through town it will be quicker I am sure .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”