Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Niggly » December 12, 2020, 10:00 am

Are there going to be enforced speed restrictions in that area?

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 12, 2020, 11:16 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 12, 2020, 8:28 am
Large group of surveyors at the intersection of love and kisses this morning .. very surprising as it is a long holiday weekend .. surely surely they arent planning to start the major roadworks before the New Year hols ..ARE THEY ? it would make sense to leave it until January to start 5 months plus of chaos.

DM
AFAIK the concept of "New Year hols" for 2020/21 aren't going to be as significant as previous, pandemic-free festive seasons. Even the government has reported fewer locals loading up the charabanc for this current long weekend compared to the one just last month.

BUT... you know how good they are at planning and scheduling here. Witness their decision to block 2-lanes just north of the Big-C Nittayo flyover at 4 p.m. last Wednesday to unload drainage pipes for the 3-lane ring-road expansion excavations.

Step 1 : No warning signs (as usual).

Step 2 : Park the semi's in the 'fast' lane just before the filter lanes.

Step 3 : Wait.

Step 4: Go and find something to offload the pipes.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 12, 2020, 11:17 am

Niggly wrote:
December 12, 2020, 10:00 am
Are there going to be enforced speed restrictions in that area?
Yes, but they won't apply on the hard shoulders.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 12, 2020, 1:01 pm

^ Sweet. That’ll be fine for a motorcy

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 12, 2020, 1:06 pm

Its gonna be a bomb site for at least 3 months going by the proposed lane closures and temporary slip roads gonna be down to single lane for a while tho the finished artist impression looks splendid.

Duck noodle guy said the surveyors did say work starts after New Year which is a bonus.

DM ............... reporting from his new intersection monitoring box with lovely new turquoise chairs.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 29, 2020, 9:04 am

Lots of heavy equipment now stood on the land near Udons premier intersection .. located on the Monday market land seems in the starting blocks for a new Year frenzy of roadworks ..possibly the said AP/RR junction ... 5 months of sheer traffic bliss ahead .. however the guys did eat at duck noodel shop and sy work doesnt start until Feb ??

Very busy traffic this morning as the early morning sun rises and shimmers beautifully of the rippling uneven tarmac surface upon where dreams are made .

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 29, 2020, 12:02 pm

Rumour has it there’s going to be an overpass with 120kph limit (target?) with a central groove like scalextric to help cars round the sweeping bend. All members who’s driving ability is negated by talent (you know who you are) are urged to get their cars modified in readiness for this safety feature.
There will also be a Y shaped tunnel to the airport departure gate where 2 x 4 lane sections can merge at 120kph into a single lane just at the security check point as there won’t be any u turns.
A4 signs indicating who’s right of way are currently be printed at Somchai, Somchai & Somchai Sons Internet Cafe just behind the 7-11.
Also heard of an elevated section with umpire chair (2 seater width) outside The Tap so reports of the ensuing carnage can be posted in real time

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » December 29, 2020, 1:13 pm

" Step 1 : No warning signs (as usual)."

Out in the villages you need to be on the look out for those tree branches laying on the road.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 29, 2020, 2:38 pm

Well at least they’re trying to keep the traffic moving

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 29, 2020, 2:52 pm

Niggly wrote:
December 29, 2020, 12:02 pm
Rumour has it there’s going to be an overpass with 120kph limit (target?) with a central groove like scalextric to help cars round the sweeping bend. All members who’s driving ability is negated by talent (you know who you are) are urged to get their cars modified in readiness for this safety feature.
There will also be a Y shaped tunnel to the airport departure gate where 2 x 4 lane sections can merge at 120kph into a single lane just at the security check point as there won’t be any u turns.
A4 signs indicating who’s right of way are currently be printed at Somchai, Somchai & Somchai Sons Internet Cafe just behind the 7-11.
Also heard of an elevated section with umpire chair (2 seater width) outside The Tap so reports of the ensuing carnage can be posted in real time
Indeed it did arrive but i sent it back as i requested claret n bloo heated seats .. seen 2 RTAs today ..only minor rear enders ..nothing new to see here move along gents ..

DM

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » December 29, 2020, 3:00 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 29, 2020, 2:52 pm
Niggly wrote:
December 29, 2020, 12:02 pm
Indeed it did arrive but i sent it back as i requested claret n bloo heated seats .. seen 2 RTAs today ..only minor rear enders ..nothing new to see here move along gents ..

DM
They are not R T As they are R T Cs, not accidents but crashes. 😂
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 31, 2020, 9:08 am

Two early morning prangs at the AP/RR junction this morning .. one a single motorsai alone coming off on the hard shoulder which has more ripples than a towel at Tams abode ... the other a heavy rear end shunt a white Jazz taking it hard from the rear by a red plated Raptor .. as a heads up to anyone using this zone the road surface on the intersection is very very slippery especially the side going into town from NBLP.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 31, 2020, 9:36 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 31, 2020, 9:08 am
Two early morning prangs at the AP/RR junction this morning .. one a single motorsai alone coming off on the hard shoulder which has more ripples than a towel at Tams abode ... the other a heavy rear end shunt a white Jazz taking it hard from the rear by a red plated Raptor .. as a heads up to anyone using this zone the road surface on the intersection is very very slippery especially the side going into town from NBLP.

DM
Obviousl;with the road surface being dangerous, time to plan routes not involving, that junction if at all possible, just need to study maps to determine which way .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 5, 2021, 5:02 pm

Cars queuing two abreast blocking half the road to get into the big wholesale fruit market this morning. When I eventually got past it looked like they were stopping everyone right at the entrance for a temperature check

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 5, 2021, 6:43 pm

^ they started doing that in a half-arsed manner maybe 10 days ago? I went to Mr DIY a couple if times and was checked once but 5 days later nothing. We will see how long this positive initiative lasts before they give up the ghost (again).

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 5, 2021, 6:53 pm

Oh, I don’t generally use that stretch of road but did pop into Mr DIY last week for a new lightning cable & there were no checks.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 6, 2021, 7:12 am

It seems obvious to me that when one is planning to go into Udon Town Centre as it were, one should be mindful of the choke points and school starting ands finishing times.
None of us ( with exceptions are working ), so it amazes me the moans and grans about parking and traffic . Over the last 18 years it has got considerably busier at certain times coupled with the possible checks some places put in to thwart the dreaded Virus carrying humans .
From my house to AEK Udon used to take only 10 minutes going through Three sets of traffic lights, now it take nearly 15 minutes just to get down and through one set of lights .
Planning when and where can save you time, keeps your stress levels low and allows a pleasant journey , like working out your route with only left turns, means that traffic light holdups are kept to a minimum . Simple really

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 6, 2021, 10:24 am

My stress levels when it comes to times for travel are well actually very low, why? I am retired and I have got loads of time .
Standing in line at say Makro and let someone in ahead of me in line, no problem, I am reired and have got loads of time.
Used to rush around as I had things to do places to got , rush , rush, rush.
Now couldnt give a rats ass because I am a rich man now. I have loads of TIME.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 6, 2021, 10:36 am

"and allows a pleasant journey , like working out your route with only left turns, means that traffic light holdups are kept to a minimum . Simple really"

Usually frustrates the hell outta me when I've gone round in a bl**dy great circle and ended up getting nowhere

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 6, 2021, 12:07 pm

I think the last time I got a bit stressed when driving (only a tiny little bit) was about 15 years ago when I had an important meeting in Manchester & they closed the M4 at the M32 intersection with me & a lot of other cars between junctions. There was nothing to do other than sit in the car, wander about or chat to other drivers for 6 hours. Got a little bit stressed at the thought of being a tiny bit late, I hated walking into meetings that had already started, but soon accepted the situation as there was nothing I could do. Needless to say I was very late.
Never been stressed driving in Thailand as I never have to be anywhere at a certain time. In fact I often take The Girl for a drive just for fun because she likes it.
Doing 140kph is purely for my own amusement, I don’t have to be anywhere quickly ..........

Naturally all this is before the latest recommendations from UM Five-0 about only turning left. This might give me a different point of view

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”