Highway 2 heading North

General Udon Thani topics only!
Post Reply
Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1764
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Highway 2 heading North

Post by Doodoo » December 27, 2019, 6:17 pm

The highway 2 running north today about 3 PM is Full to the Brim, Chock a Block,Jam Packed with I assume revelers heading home for the New Year
Police check points out in force also

Only one accident but it was on the south bound lanes one vehicle rear ending another

Have a great and safe trip this year



User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3636
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 28, 2019, 2:03 am

saw on the internet headline .. AND THEYRE OFF , HUNDREDS OF 000s leave Bkk to go home for the New Year.. so i left Buriram to return to Udon expecting the worse .. very clear , got on the highway 2 at Phon at 11pm and not a hold up all the way to Ud .. as stated lots of check points as yet not stopping traffic just slowing it down.

Perhaps with the state of the Thai economy less with travel meaning less accidents n deaths .. i didnt see 1 accident but a few splattered dogs and twats on motorbikes without lights just asking to be hit.

Safe trip if anyone travelling , its gonna get a whole lot worse thru the weekend n Monday.

DM

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 656
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Hoopoe » December 28, 2019, 7:41 am

The short cut from 2-12 rd through Kumphawapi ,(to avoid Udon ) through to Nonghan and further north east , 2350 rd is busy now 7.39 am so within a couple of hours it will be at near enough standstill ,due to incomplete widening

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3636
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 28, 2019, 9:34 am

Incomplete roadworks do obviously make for a longer more stressful journey especially at the holiday times .. from what i saw all the previous construction on highway 2 from Phon to KK n UD is finished hence no real holdups. Seems the authorities have come up with a decent plan where as all the major Northboud traffic light intersections are on flashing red with diversions set up for the smaller side roads at these junctions .. works well and traffic flow pretty much un interupted last night ..but as the trafffic volume increases day time this weekend im guessing twill choke up.

One thing i did see made me laugh .. a cram packed Commuter minivan with a chest freezer strapped on the roof lid up full of belongings .. TIT .

DM

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 3843
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Khun Paul » December 28, 2019, 4:10 pm

Note they are saying on the First of the Seven Deadly days, 43 dead and numerous injured but Road deaths because of drink was only 30 odd %
That means the other 69 odd per cent was down to sheer stupidity, bad driving, incompetent drivers and probable over loading , funny how they never say that .

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1764
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Doodoo » December 28, 2019, 4:14 pm

KP
Here is a new one "Exploding Mancovers"

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/114075 ... paign=news

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 3843
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Khun Paul » December 28, 2019, 4:19 pm

Yes saw that , was a little amused I must say, in fact I have seen it in the States but never here. Oh well a new excuse, Sorry officer I was avoiding the flying man-hole cover .

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 656
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Hoopoe » December 28, 2019, 8:57 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
December 28, 2019, 7:41 am
The short cut from 2-12 rd through Kumphawapi ,(to avoid Udon ) through to Nonghan and further north east , 2350 rd is busy now 7.39 am so within a couple of hours it will be at near enough standstill ,due to incomplete widening

I wuz wrong.. The night drivers had passed through by 9 am .the rd has been normal all the rest of the day.

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 294
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by samster » December 29, 2019, 3:21 pm

G/f driving over to Ubon to see family was stopped at checkpoint. No fine but, gave her water, a snack and offered to check over her car.

Shes got great legs but, apparently they were doing it for everybody

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4318
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by tamada » December 30, 2019, 10:10 am

So tam manages to set a new land speed record from Pattaya to Udon!

Departed sin city at 9 A.M. Sunday and pulled into my car port in Udon at 11 P.M. I had a full tank so only 1 piss stop and I left that until well after Korat as all the gas stations were chock full of madness up until then. Biggest tailback and maybe +4-hour crawl was the ~50 km hill climb on 304 in Kabinburi. Seems like they've run out of money for the last few kilometers of the undivided 2-way bit! As usual, about 90 km south of Khon Kaen, after the last of those turning off to head east or west had gone, the traffic was pretty much back to normal. Plenty rest areas set up but no cops or check points in action. I only saw one accident around noon where it looked like a motorbike had run up the arse of a car turning into some temple holiday event. That was on the feeder and not the highway. There was a slow down in darkness around 7 P.M. which could have been something causing rubber-necking on the left ditch but I squoze myself down the outer edge beside the right ditch so can't confirm. I did see some cops looking at what appeared to be an abandoned car on the KK ring road but that was about it.

But it's always nice to see all the Isaan worthies in their pickups taking their fridges, flat-screen TV's, motorbikes and plastic patio furniture home for a well-earned New Year holiday!

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3636
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 30, 2019, 10:40 am

tamada wrote:
December 30, 2019, 10:10 am
So tam manages to set a new land speed record from Pattaya to Udon!

Departed sin city at 9 A.M. Sunday and pulled into my car port in Udon at 11 P.M. I had a full tank so only 1 piss stop and I left that until well after Korat as all the gas stations were chock full of madness up until then. Biggest tailback and maybe +4-hour crawl was the ~50 km hill climb on 304 in Kabinburi. Seems like they've run out of money for the last few kilometers of the undivided 2-way bit! As usual, about 90 km south of Khon Kaen, after the last of those turning off to head east or west had gone, the traffic was pretty much back to normal. Plenty rest areas set up but no cops or check points in action. I only saw one accident around noon where it looked like a motorbike had run up the arse of a car turning into some temple holiday event. That was on the feeder and not the highway. There was a slow down in darkness around 7 P.M. which could have been something causing rubber-necking on the left ditch but I squoze myself down the outer edge beside the right ditch so can't confirm. I did see some cops looking at what appeared to be an abandoned car on the KK ring road but that was about it.

But it's always nice to see all the Isaan worthies in their pickups taking their fridges, flat-screen TV's, motorbikes and plastic patio furniture home for a well-earned New Year holiday!
Nice report Tam .. and IME 14 hours isnt bad going bearing in mind the day on which you traveled. Certainly do see some strange sights on the roads over the hols..

Im sure you kept all in the truck happy with your tales of Scottish folklore inc your younger days as a Kaber tossing champion at the highland games ..

dm

User avatar
mak
udonmap.com
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 13, 2008, 11:50 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by mak » December 31, 2019, 11:15 am

Obeying the road signs.
Attachments
Drive Slowly.jpg

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3636
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 31, 2019, 11:25 am

mak wrote:
December 31, 2019, 11:15 am
Obeying the road signs.
I was sent that by a mate yesterday .. TIT ..

Translation .. is if im correct .. Mao Kap Cha ... DRUNK DRIVE SLOWLY ..

DM

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 656
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Hoopoe » January 1, 2020, 1:07 pm

Wacky races are on. The return. Avoid the 2350 rd Nonghan to Kumphawapi. Tail back six kilometers past my house into Kumphawspi. That means Kumphawspi will be grid locked all the way to number 2rd

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9383
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by parrot » January 1, 2020, 6:29 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
January 1, 2020, 1:07 pm
Wacky races are on. The return. Avoid the 2350 rd Nonghan to Kumphawapi. Tail back six kilometers past my house into Kumphawspi. That means Kumphawspi will be grid locked all the way to number 2rd
Thai police are recommending not using the ?shortcut?
https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/northeast/1738346

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 656
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: Highway 2 heading North

Post by Hoopoe » January 2, 2020, 11:47 am

Earlier the tail back to Kumphawapi this.morn.started 11am.at least six kilometers into kumphawapi .then a further eight past kumphawapi to number two rd.. Yesterday it eased by 5pm

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”