Home Broadband Internet Speeds

General Udon Thani topics only!
frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Home Broadband Internet Speeds

Post by frankieboy37 » December 27, 2019, 8:09 pm

I am sure we have the whole range of computer/internet savvy people amongst us here in Udon and this just might be useful to some of you along that spectrum.

I live quite near the centre of town and could probably have chosen from any of the home internet broadband only services offered but on Fuzzyken’s good advice, a little over three years ago, I signed up with AIS. If memory serves it was for 20mbps (download) and soon after elevated at no extra charge to 30mbps. I believe I have paid approximately 530 baht per month through the 3 years which has included a 10% discount as my partner has some kind of mobile plan through them.

Over quite a lot of years prior, I had always found anything near 10mpbs perfectly satisfactory for my needs but, okay, happy to take the faster speed.

As a rule of thumb an ethernet cable connection is always faster than wireless, or so I thought. The moment the installation guys left I thought I would be getting a faster speed than they had shown me on wireless and I tested my system with the ethernet cable they left with the package only to find that the speeds were virtually the same. So I thought, one less cable and wireless it is… until a few days ago.

I have been using an ethernet connection between two computers, because (remember?) ethernet is faster than wireless, for several months, but only a few days ago as I was disconnecting the cable, out of curiosity, I thought I would see what speed I could get on the ethernet connection to the modem now. When the figure 280mbps showed up I was surprised to say the least. I have been testing over the last few days and greater than 200mbps is now standard on the ethernet cable and “only” about 45mpbs on wireless.

Capture.PNG

A quick look at the AIS page shows that the above speeds are now a standard package so perhaps no surprise after all but to be honest I have not really noticed any difference between 45mpbs and 200+mpbs for my needs and I am sure I could still manage even with 10mbs.

Which reminds me that I saw this offer from 3bb some while ago:

3bb.PNG

Does anybody know if any of the providers offer such an option to downgrade for not-so-much-in-a-hurry low-level users?

johanthomsen
udonmap.com

Re: Home Broadband Internet Speeds

Post by johanthomsen » December 27, 2019, 9:05 pm

That is part of the 5G package that AIS is rolling out... Long live the new wireless internet speed :D

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » December 27, 2019, 9:08 pm

Don t confuse MBps with Mbps. Have a nice evening.

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » December 28, 2019, 7:00 pm

Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (8.61 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
I was specifically talking about home broadband as in a service arriving by cable/fibre. I would be very interested to know more about how AIS is using its 5G wireless connectivity program to enhance the cable/fibre throughput. Can you explain more?

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » December 28, 2019, 7:02 pm

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (6.25 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
All the speed checkers I have seen and have used use the lower case Mbps version so I am not clear on what you mean. Could you amplify on your comment?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » December 29, 2019, 11:21 am

frankieboy37 wrote:
December 28, 2019, 7:02 pm
Capture2.PNG
All the speed checkers I have seen and have used use the lower case Mbps version so I am not clear on what you mean. Could you amplify on your comment?
https://downloadtimecalculator.com/diff ... -mbps.html

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » December 29, 2019, 6:07 pm

Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (11.17 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Of all the references on this thread I don’t see anybody disputing there is a difference between MBps and Mbps and perhaps vital to know in some important circumstances. If your post and that of “the-monk” are intended for supplementary information purposes then I could understand or is there some other meaning that I am missing?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”