bad Air

General Udon Thani topics only!
oldtimeudon
udonmap.com

bad Air

Post by oldtimeudon » December 31, 2019, 7:14 am

four days ago I left Udon and headed towards Bandung on the 2022 ? and about an hour on the road
we came to the Village of ''non yam',' on the second day I could smell smoke? I asked the wife if her
brother was burning something next door (I have a very limited sense of smell) I asked if she could
speak to her brother ? as the day wore on I started to cough and the smoke never went away.
my wife informed me her brother was not burning anything.
so I jumped on the motorbike and we went for a ride and about ten minuets from the Village we
came to a view that I could not believe ….in the distance was a black wall of smoke about from
ground level to maybe a few thousand feet in height ...it was frightening to just look at this
by the next morning I had an extremely bad cough (the wifes daughter 23 yrs had a similar cough
plus her nephew who picked us up was the same) it was only after seeing this smoke that I realised
how many people had bad coughs in the village, by evening I was bringing blood up with the Phlegm
and as I while back I had had half my lung removed due to lung cancer, I started to get a bit worried
and next the wifes eldest brother came by with the obligatory cough plus an ashen face...
I was in a taxi within an hour and by then the wife was counting how many people had died this year
in the village at an early age? they have no official measuring device in Udon Thani but I have read
online since this that Bangkok-Chang Mai-Udon Thani are quite close in the amount of smog /bad air
that we breath in....and to top it all I bought some Anti Inhalation masks from Boots in Udon but they
look iffy to me!!!!!!!!...after moving back to Udon my cough and other problems have been a bit better
you think you have the bad air in the city but it is the farmlands and countryside that is bad for you now???

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: bad Air

Post by Khun Paul » December 31, 2019, 7:27 am

Sounds like they were burning plastic for such a cloud of BLACK smoke. general burning of garden or farm waste will NOT produce black smoke and quickly dissipates

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 31, 2019, 8:32 am

Crop burning is illegal in Thailand yet farmers continue to do it all over the country as with many other laws here its never enforced , rural Isaan is blanketed in smoke this time of year from the burning of sugar cane fields and also the roots of trees ie rubber trees that have been chopped down in land clearing ..both give off a dark black stinky smoke.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 31, 2019, 8:54 am

There is no doubt the burning off sugar cane contributes to the problem. You see black ash all over everything. The sad thing about this is that is so simple to stop. There are not that many sugar mills so if the government would stop the sugar mills from accepting burnt cane, that problem would be quickly solved. If the farmers have no market, they would stop the burning.

As a side note, my wife raises quite a bit of cane and she has never burned off any of it. Most sugar cane in this area is still cut manually. Even the people cutting cane don't like getting black soot all over themselves, not to mention that it is better for the ground to have cut leaves remain in the field.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 31, 2019, 9:35 am

Also don't forget that loads of communities get into major clean-up mode at this time of year. I just saw an item on the local news that showed a mass of volunteers and government staffers (in their nice paramilitary uniforms) in a group shot outside a Central World somewhere. Our own moobahn radio announcer was extolling the virtues of sweeping our yards and lanes ahead of the new year festivities... and burn it. On New Year's Day, there will be more piles of trash from one-time-use plastic throwaways, fireworks and firecrackers but that won't get shifted until the pre-Songkran clean up and burn.

The Sansiri group have AQI monitors at their developments nationwide including The base Height Condo in Udon Thani.

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/chan ... -udonthani

Contributes to the nationwide report.

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/chan ... udon-thani

They are selling personal/car AQI monitors at Amorn, ground floor Big C Phosri for around 1900 baht. Cheaper ones (including the same one that Amorn pitches) can be had on lazada.
aqi.jpg
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/uni-t ... 75580.html?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 31, 2019, 9:43 am

From this AQI map, the current bad air is being driven by winds coming from China and Vietnam where I guess the farmers burn just as much as the Thai farmers do. When you start hearing the Chiang Mai denizens whining about their bad air, it's from those pesky slash and burn farmers in Laos and Myanmar. When it gets to be an issue in Bangkok, it's the Indonesians that are doing it.
from china.jpg
northeast winds

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 31, 2019, 10:40 am

Khun Paul wrote:Sounds like they were burning plastic for such a cloud of BLACK smoke. general burning of garden or farm waste will NOT produce black smoke and quickly dissipates
Really no black smoke from vegetation?
You think Udon has air problems.
Bateman’s Bay township NSW south coast just evacuated because of fires.
Looks like black smoke to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 1, 2020, 9:17 pm

Pretty darn awesome right now at 45 so get out there and suck it up while it lasts!
aqi2.jpg

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”