Makha Bucha Day

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Makha Bucha Day

Post by Doodoo » February 3, 2020, 4:58 pm

Holiday, Immigration to be closed Feb 10 Monday
No Alcohol Sales Feb 8 Saturday

The Buddhist religious day Makha Bucha this Saturday (Feb 8 ) will be observed as a public on Monday (Feb 10), bringing a long weekend for all government offices and many workers across the country.

Makha Bucha takes place annually on the night of the full moon during the third lunar month of the year.
The event marks the anniversary of the Buddha’s first major sermon. On the full moon of the third lunar month, seven months after the lord Buddha began his teachings when 1,250 monks came together, with no prior arrangement to hear Buddha preach, Buddha ordained these monks and passed to them the basic principles of Buddhism: To eschew all evil, to do only what is good, and to cleanse the mind, along with other teachings which marked a key event in the development of the religion.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-s ... -74655.php

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Makha Bucha Day

Post by stattointhailand » February 6, 2020, 3:12 pm

I'm assuming the schools will be closed ?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 6, 2020, 4:59 pm

Many schools will be closed but many just carry on, up to individual schools I have found over the years

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 6, 2020, 8:40 pm

Daughter came in tonight and announced "No school Monday"

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 8, 2020, 10:59 am

As already posted today is a no alcohol sales day due to revered buddha day Macha Bucha .. its also illegal to transport booze with the intention of selling it to a third party / customer as in if you are holding a sales invoice thus curtailing DMs deliveries. Monday is a holiday in Lieu of MBD being on a Saturday with schools , banks and government buildings all closed but the demon drink is back on the menu.
These long weekends are fine but all to often IMO , a single day of closure in the customs tax collection department can lead to delays especially with items that require bond clearance .. hence long holidays like Songkhran , New Year etc do cause havoc with scheduling .. if anyone is importing anything always avoid the product landing here at these times.

Just as Info.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 8, 2020, 4:37 pm

Just a thought, but can anyone work out why so may "Non alcohol selling days" in Thailand (Birthdays/Buddha days/eletion days etc etc) seem to fall on Saturdays ? There seemed to be very few occasions in UK when "Holidays" were on Sats.
Seems like every footie season there are 3 or 4 Sats when bars cannot open to show matches

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 8, 2020, 5:41 pm

WHY????
Because!!!!!

Welcome to Thailand

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 8, 2020, 6:03 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 8, 2020, 4:37 pm
Just a thought, but can anyone work out why so may "Non alcohol selling days" in Thailand (Birthdays/Buddha days/eletion days etc etc) seem to fall on Saturdays ? There seemed to be very few occasions in UK when "Holidays" were on Sats.
Seems like every footie season there are 3 or 4 Sats when bars cannot open to show matches
It does appear that way Statts but most of the days you mention are set DATES on the Thai calendar therefore obviously move to different days each year .. however when you get the senario of 2 holiday days sandwiching another non holiday day it usually ends up with most places inc government departments taking that day as well , also the case this weekend ref Monday being in lieu of MBD falling on a weekend... not sure there must be the best part of 25 to 30 Thai holidays if you include Buddha days , labour day n National Teacher day etc etc .

DM

Manxlad
udonmap.com

Post by Manxlad » February 8, 2020, 6:45 pm

DM it’s crazy situation, but...TIT So it’s work around it begrudgingly or go else where
That’s not an insult too you, but purely a statement of like or lump it, as it ain’t gonna change

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 8, 2020, 6:50 pm

Manxlad wrote:
February 8, 2020, 6:45 pm
DM it’s crazy situation, but...TIT So it’s work around it begrudgingly or go else where
That’s not an insult too you, but purely a statement of like or lump it, as it ain’t gonna change
The only time i have a snarl at these holidays is when it causes a huge back log in customs ..this is only after long breaks and can take 2 weeks after SK to get back to normal .. every other time non drinking or any other days dont bother me at all ..its all easy to work round.

It aint gonna change as you say and as the years go by more holidays will be added for whatever reasons ..nowt ner surer

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 9, 2020, 2:03 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 8, 2020, 6:50 pm
Manxlad wrote:
February 8, 2020, 6:45 pm
The only time i have a snarl at these holidays is when it causes a huge back log in customs ..this is only after long breaks and can take 2 weeks after SK to get back to normal .. every other time non drinking or any other days dont bother me at all ..its all easy to work round.

It aint gonna change as you say and as the years go by more holidays will be added for whatever reasons ..nowt ner surer

DM
Im not so sure that "It aint gonna change" DM :-k
I think that sooner or later it will occur to the "powers that be" (pressure from those that are losing large sums of money and are prepared to use some of it to enlighten the powers that be no doubt) that by relaxing some of the regulations and allowing establishments to open during holidays/festivals etc as well as allowing other depts etc to open with "skeleton staffing levels" where possible, it will be of benefit to the Economy as a whole and to the country.
Lets face it, it was not that long ago when there were no pubs or shops open in UK on xmas or Boxing day

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 9, 2020, 5:06 pm

Thailand has Non Alcohol days for religious reasons, NOT that is apparent as the populace use those days to get blotto on guess what ALCOHOL !
many countries I have visited have weird days where no alcohol is either sold or even consumed. Once in parts of South Wales, Sundays were dry UNLESS you were staying in the establishment hotels.inn etc .
Those that complain about NO ALCOHOL days you could always use what little brain power you have and buy some the day before then you can get drunk at home, it is a novel thought , some people should try it and stop moaning

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 9, 2020, 6:59 pm

I remember them days back in blighty KP ........ it was for religious reasons .... called err Christmas Day I think.
The one day in the year that us kids were allowed a sip of sherry with our morning mince pie, a glass of wine with our dinner and then a small tumbler of shandy (or 2.5 % abv Manns Brown ale for the older kids) ........ if ya were really lucky (and could stomach the thought) cuddle up to an aunt or two and get given a sip of their Bolls advocaat or Babycham

Not much different to Thai religious days really

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 9, 2020, 7:06 pm

My Nanna used to drink Advocaat but she wasn't a Buddhist.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 9, 2020, 7:12 pm

What about the Christmas box of liquor chocolates, my favorite the brandy. Of course do not see them in the shops these days, encourage alcoholism I suppose.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 9, 2020, 7:34 pm

Oh Lord, Statto, what have you done.

Listen, these Buddha days ain't no big deal, especially if you're on an occasional visit like me so dry your eyes and buy the booze the day before, like Guns said, then you can get blotto playing at keyboard Commando on UM.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 9, 2020, 8:17 pm

Totally agree Earnest, but eventually (like what happened in UK) money will talk and those wishing to stay in their nice cushy positions will need to re evaluate their stance on religion and realise that in the 21st Cen capitalist world there is but one God ....... MONEY

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 14, 2022, 9:08 am

Wednesday.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 14, 2022, 9:17 am

This coming Wednesday, February 16, you won’t be able buy alcohol because Thailand, along with some other south east Asian countries, will mark the Buddhist holy day of Makha Bucha Day

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... uf277dJACQ

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 14, 2022, 12:08 pm

I wonder how long it will be before Thailand enters the 21st cent and realises that you cant run a country based on religious beliefs?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”