simple wiring problem

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

simple wiring problem

Post by maaka » April 14, 2020, 6:06 pm

give me a tractor and I can dismantle it, and put it back together. Give me a wild horse and I can break it in, but give me some vehicle wiring in stall and I am all at sea..

I have a tractor and want to install a 12v spot light with a red and black wires...methinks I will mount it on the mudguard and hook into the indicator wires alongside...however the indicator only has one wire ? yet it works..so me join my red wire in unison and nothing, so I try's the black wire, nothing, the red with the black earthed , nothing...maybe its the spot light is puckeroo'd..Nap, it works off the battery....cant understand why the indicator goes but the same wire wont run the 18w spot light...do I have to run two wires from the battery as a new thing..????

mickojak
udonmap.com

Re: simple wiring problem

Post by mickojak » April 14, 2020, 6:12 pm

Probably not getting an earth through the spot light mount.
Either file/sandpaper the mounting area to ensure good earth or run the black wire back to the earth side of battery

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » April 14, 2020, 6:23 pm

If theres only one wire to the indicator then its earthed through the point it's bolted down to metalwork. If this is so and you say the indicator works then the only time the positive side, single wire, of the indicator is live is when you indicate. Would you want the spotlight flashing on and off with the indicator.

I'm not a car electrician but that's how I see it.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 14, 2020, 6:34 pm

Good point Chriss and correct.
Need to run red wire from positive side of battery through a manual switch and try and get a clean metal earth to the mud guard, or run the black wire to the earth side of the battery

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 14, 2020, 6:52 pm

Chriss wrote:
April 14, 2020, 6:23 pm
If theres only one wire to the indicator then its earthed through the point it's bolted down to metalwork. If this is so and you say the indicator works then the only time the positive side, single wire, of the indicator is live is when you indicate. Would you want the spotlight flashing on and off with the indicator.

I'm not a car electrician but that's how I see it.
You are correct.
The flasher unit works on load {Wattage of the lamps}.
That is why if you have 1 indicator lamp blows The remaining indicator goes twice the speed.
You have increased the load so the flasher unit probably trips out.
You will end up damaging the flasher unit

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 14, 2020, 7:06 pm

If it had worked it would be flashing spot light

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 14, 2020, 7:12 pm

noosard wrote:
April 14, 2020, 7:06 pm
If it had worked it would be flashing spot light
No it would not.
The load on the flasher unit has increased by 18 watts so it can not handle it so cuts off.
Or maybe Macka did not put the indicator switch on to try it

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 15, 2020, 5:34 am

sorry team, I chose the wrong turn of phase which has you all off on the wrong tangent. Sorry. Didnt think we would so intricate about it.
it looks like an imdicater, and is orange in colour, but it is actually a side light, one each mounted on the mudguard..it has a pull switch on the dashboard, but it does not flash. Sorry....most old tractors dont have indicators..
thought I would give you something other than covid..Am grateful for the replies...

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 15, 2020, 6:57 am

maaka wrote:
April 15, 2020, 5:34 am
thought I would give you something other than covid..Am grateful for the replies...
Glad to know you're there when we need you :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 15, 2020, 8:28 am

maaka wrote:
April 15, 2020, 5:34 am
sorry team, I chose the wrong turn of phase which has you all off on the wrong tangent. Sorry. Didnt think we would so intricate about it.
it looks like an imdicater, and is orange in colour, but it is actually a side light, one each mounted on the mudguard..it has a pull switch on the dashboard, but it does not flash. Sorry....most old tractors dont have indicators..
Assuming that the side light wire is thick enough, it probably is, and assuming you have a multi meter, with the battery disconnected check that you have continuity between the earth connection of your spotlight and the earthed side of your side light, if you don’t get a virtually 0 Ohms reading then you have a bad earth.

If (or once) the earth is good, reconnect the battery and run a temporary wire from the battery to the spotlight, it should light, if it does then the problem is between your side light and the spotlight.

Have fun and be safe.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 15, 2020, 5:18 pm

fair suck of the sav Mick..I just had to distract ya Mate, at least for awhile, from your little razza bombardment of our friends from across the pond..

a multi meter ' Sometimes ' now you are asking abit too much on that score..
tried again and nothing, so am gonna run new wires from the battery, thru a waterproof switch on the dash ( when it arrives ) and that should be the ticket.

The idea of a flashing spotlight does appeal. might be one way to slow some of these hoons down. I was one once..or as a good beacon in times of strife...

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 15, 2020, 5:50 pm

maaka wrote:
April 15, 2020, 5:18 pm
fair suck of the sav Mick..I just had to distract ya Mate, at least for awhile, from your little razza bombardment of our friends from across the pond.
Did you have to give the game away Maaka.
I didn't think anyone picked up on it yet.

Ho, hum, what am I gunna do now for entertainment ? :confused:

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 15, 2020, 8:01 pm

it was fun Mick, I must admit, but not healthy..
anyway da show might not be over cobber, not sure dem lot would care about a simple wiring thread..never know till you poke the borax..

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 15, 2020, 8:20 pm

maaka wrote:
April 15, 2020, 8:01 pm
anyway da show might not be over cobber, not sure dem lot would care about a simple wiring thread..never know till you poke the borax..
Don't be so hard on yourself, every subject has gained massive importance during lock down.
Let us know how you go.
Either succeed or get a zap?
12 volts won't kill ya but Corona might.
Take it easy
Ha Ha.
Mick

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 15, 2020, 8:48 pm

Maaka can you confirm your spotlight is only 18w as per your first post?

Seems low wattage for a spottie.
Is it a lamp or LED?

Any way, most auxiliary lights, spots, driving lights etc are usually up to 100w and are wired through a relay. So you have light, relay, switch and fuse.
You may already have a prewired spare spare fuse on the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 16, 2020, 5:28 am

Yo Barney. Hows it hanging Cobber?

yes can confirm it is one of these new LED spotlights for vehicles..
I have one on my barn back home downunder as the shed is solar 12v, and with the flick of a switch, its like the MCG at night..well almost..its a light rather than a beam if you know what I mean..and they have higher wattage if you want bigger..

[attachment=0]18w spot or driving lights.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
18w spot or driving lights.jpg

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 16, 2020, 5:30 am

I have a waterproof switch for boats, quads and things coming from HK, which has the wiring with a fuse in line..so will marry it all up somehow..

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 16, 2020, 6:38 am

c262aa98798c900fc3eadcbedc071778.jpg

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 16, 2020, 6:40 am

EHWpTyQU8AAIPCP.jpg

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 16, 2020, 9:01 am

thats the one Cuz...old No 8 wire job..
but I can tie a better fencing knot than that. Have to where I am from. Surrounded by farmers who just pride themselves on stringing a good fence, and are forever checking yours out when they happen to call around..they say you can tell a good farmer by his fences

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”