Which paint to buy

General Udon Thani topics only!
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Which paint to buy

Post by Charlieb » April 16, 2020, 8:10 pm

I am going to have my house painted outside and one room inside if and when this lock down ever ends.
I know absolutely nothing about paint. :| I would appreciate some advice from some of you builders and painters out there.
Which paint (good paint) should I buy for the outside and which for the inside? I know if I leave it up to the painters they will get the cheapest stuff they can find and I will be lucky if the paint lasts over a couple years.
Also, should the inside doors and floor moldings be done with enamel paint? It looks like that is what is there now.

Thanks for any help.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Which paint to buy

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 8:14 pm

Dulux interior/exterior paint is good Charlie but very expensive here.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 16, 2020, 8:21 pm

When I rebuilt in 2012 I used Jotun inside and out, and is it holding up very well.

Equally important as getting a good quality paint is ensuring the painters don't dilute the ----- out of it with too much water.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 8:37 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 16, 2020, 8:21 pm
When I rebuilt in 2012 I used Jotun inside and out, and is it holding up very well.

Equally important as getting a good quality paint is ensuring the painters don't dilute the ----- out of it with too much water.
Personally I don't like Jotun, it doesn't cover as well as Dulux but I agree you have to watch them with the water, I don't allow them to add water at all
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » April 16, 2020, 8:47 pm

Can you be a bit more specific Vince? On the web I see many varieties of Delux paint.
Remember, when it comes to paint or any type of home maintenance, not only do I know nothing, I don’t even suspect nothing. :-)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 16, 2020, 8:49 pm

I went for a silk finish (semi gloss) I think Globals own brand which looks okay & is still looking good a year on. It doesn’t seem to get the splash mark stains along the bottom which some people say they have when it rains on the paths.
Don’t know whether you have any young kids but another benefit is I’ve been able to wipe off anything The Girl has drawn on them
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 16, 2020, 8:51 pm

It becomes a trade off, vince - price & quality.

As you said yourself, Dulux is very expensive here (as it was in Australia when I was building many years ago).

From memory, I allowed 1:0.5 paint to water. First time I saw the local tradesmen in action, a few years before that, I had to stop them when they were at about 1:3. They were more than happy to do 4 or 5 coats - I wasn't. :D

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 8:53 pm

Dulux is available in GH, DoHome , Thai Watsadu etc for indoors you will need interior emulsion, you can choose whether you want Matt or Eggshell finish, we like it because its washable and it covers well. I've found the majority of the people who sell the paint are very knowledgeable but overall I found DoHome to give the best advice.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 16, 2020, 9:01 pm

All good paints are very expensive as already posted .

Over the years ive used a few different brands ..

Dulux .......very good most expensive but i prefered the Jotun.
Jotun .......IMO the best and reasonable value for money , also it touches up well
JBP .........good but DO NOT ADD WATER or it wont last
TOA ........oil based only
Berger ......primer only this was excellent on new render walls etc
National ... cheapest used this for 600m of perimeter wall ,, do not add water , at best ok but will need doing agin in a couple of years .
Lots of other cheap Thai brands that dont last.

I used Berger for all priming
Jotun for all first n top coats i used sheen it looks great , not matt very dull or semi gloss as this highlights all the surface imperfections ..
TOA oil based for steel n wood etc

In this case you most certainly get what you pay for .. and make sure your painters are decent and have decent equipment etc .. dont let them add water to make the paint go further or it wont hold up , also same goes for oil based paints they love to add a shitload of thinners to make it flow quicker ,, yes a bit is needed as TOA is a thick paint .. but watch em.

btw Charlie my first job out of school was an industrial painter n sprayer served a full apprenticeship i now the scams

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 9:05 pm

I've used Jotun but don't rate it, strange how we all have different opinions, I found it doesn't wash at all well.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 16, 2020, 9:13 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 16, 2020, 9:05 pm
I've used Jotun but don't rate it, strange how we all have different opinions, I found it doesn't wash at all well.
Good job we all think differently Vince or we would all be wearing the same shirt eat the same food and drive the same car oh and wanna marry the same woman .. plus SUPPORT SCUNTHORPE UNITED

Paint is one of the best cases of you get what you pay for there is .. Jotun sheen i bought from Homepro cleans well and can touch up scuffs n marks n when it drys cant tell the touch up from original... as ever there are great tradesmen n also cowboys .. beware the plumber who says he can paint and the sparkie who says he can do water .. in most cases its bollocks just to get the work and yer painting turns into a nightmare.

DM

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 9:20 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 16, 2020, 9:13 pm
vincemunday wrote:
Good job we all think differently Vince or we would all be wearing the same shirt eat the same food and drive the same car oh and wanna marry the same woman .. plus SUPPORT SCUNTHORPE UNITED

Paint is one of the best cases of you get what you pay for there is .. Jotun sheen i bought from Homepro cleans well and can touch up scuffs n marks n when it drys cant tell the touch up from original... as ever there are great tradesmen n also cowboys .. beware the plumber who says he can paint and the sparkie who says he can do water .. in most cases its bollocks just to get the work and yer painting turns into a nightmare.

DM
Ah! So you don't want to marry Fa anymore, I shall tell her, wearing the same stuff is odd too, like shoes for eg 555

Fortunately I was saved from changing allegiance by a pandemic although I do believe the mighty West Ham were on the verge of a huge come back, I guess we'll never know now.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 16, 2020, 9:26 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 16, 2020, 9:20 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 16, 2020, 9:13 pm
vincemunday wrote:

DM
Ah! So you don't want to marry Fa anymore, I shall tell her, wearing the same stuff is odd too, like shoes for eg 555

Fortunately I was saved from changing allegiance by a pandemic although I do believe the mighty West Ham were on the verge of a huge come back, I guess we'll never know now.
Cant marry Fa until you croak it Vince but rest assured my slippers will be in your microwave before the fumes from the hearse are out the soi and then a quick club badge change in your plush claret n Blu bar room .... tell her to be patient mate i will even teach her proper Northern English .

Covid saved the Hammers from relegation ?? ..

DM

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » April 16, 2020, 9:31 pm

We've had good results with Jotun and when the time comes to repaint we will use it again.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 16, 2020, 10:16 pm

Charlieb

It may also depend on what surface you are painting.
Cement render, blocks, shera type panels. You will also have to clean up the current walls before painting. ie: scraping, sanding back and filling gaps.
Once you have a couple of brands in mind shop around for any promotions.
There’s a couple of blokes in Do Home who give reasonable advice.
Or
The paint shop on the ring road offer advice, they have a desk out front and more difficult with them if unsure and you like to look at a display while thinking , but you need to know exactly what surface you are painting and approx sq meters for quantity.
Buy the lot for the painters.
Reasonable brushes and rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 17, 2020, 4:48 am

Shado wrote:
April 16, 2020, 9:31 pm
We've had good results with Jotun and when the time comes to repaint we will use it again.
Ill go along with that and DMs choice .
Most important , is do not let Somchie water the paint down more than the manufacturers recommendation , usually 10% .
Dispite what you painter tells you , four watered down coats is NOT the same as two proper coats .
Millions are spent on paint research and development , and there is real science to it .
If you do not follow their instructions , you will not get the finish , or more importantly the protection you are paying for .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 17, 2020, 6:07 am

we have the best results with nippon 3in1 , the paint is ready to use ,no dilution , and last very long , ceilings painted in our first home (2002) still look good, as for outside paint we never use expensive paint because despite all qualifications these paints have , they still do not withstand the heavy weather (rain and more sun) and all fade same ,(after 3-4 years,some even more quick))
silicone based paints covers better cracks but are also more difficult to repaint in case of wall/paint damage ,so we use normal based paint for outside walls ..
important for all paintwork , using a good primer , as for outside we only use non water based primer that has a better result as the normal ones but is more expensive , if using bad primer no matter what brand u use the paint will not last long ..as info.. ;)
Last edited by kopkei on April 17, 2020, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 17, 2020, 6:09 am

You can see the results of watered down paint in about a year......it's not uncommon to see a new government building need a paint job after a year or two. There's a wide variety of good quality exterior paints......the most expensive kind. We got 5 out of our first paint job, 10 out of our second, and over 8 on the last paint job. The second and third was the expensive version of TOA.....but many others are probably equal in quality. Our last paint job is looking like it'll last easily another 5. Every other year or so I'll power wash some parts of the exterior to remove dust/dirt.
The painters like to add water because it makes it easier to apply.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 17, 2020, 6:29 am

Some good advice here charlie .. i agree with

Saint ref watch somchai adding too much water ..IF ANY , i just painted my place with Jotun 2 coats no water added at all

Barney ref surface being painted and equipment is not expensive roller n brushes are very cheap IMO...make sure somchai has good gear.

Parrot a good paint job with well prepped surface n good quality paint should last 5 to 10 years.

Cant comment on nippon paints used by kopkei as never used them... but he is correct about the weather especially the intense sun and temperature variants which causes fading plus expansion n contraction on outdoor surfaces.

Happy painting Charles ..enjoy :D

DM

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » April 17, 2020, 6:38 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I’m a software guy and not sure which end of a paint brush to hold [-(

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”