What a Season it is For Mangoes

General Udon Thani topics only!
Post Reply
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11584
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by jackspratt » April 19, 2020, 8:00 pm

Having just consumed another large serving of mango and sticky rice, I have been inspired to reflect here on the mango season we are enjoying.

I have lived here full time since 2007, and really can't remember the equal.

Diverts one's mind from CV-19 and the beer shortage - for the moment at least. :D



User avatar
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com
Posts: 261
Joined: April 28, 2018, 10:36 am

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by Old Grumpy » April 19, 2020, 8:06 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 19, 2020, 8:00 pm
Having just consumed another large serving of mango and sticky rice, I have been inspired to reflect here on the mango season we are enjoying.

I have lived here full time since 2007, and really can't remember the equal.

Diverts one's mind from CV-19 and the beer shortage - for the moment at least. :D
There is a glut available this year Jack because most of the crop which was destined for export to China has instead been sold on the home market, here in NWS home to the mango farms the local amphur has opened up a free market outside where the farmers are selling direct to the public at 25bht per KG, open every moprning to midday , come and treat yourself the're delicious .
No more Reds under the beds a solid Blue govt for the next 5 years

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11584
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by jackspratt » April 19, 2020, 8:09 pm

I wasn't even looking at the commercial market, Val.

Just the trees around my moobaan, plus when I am out riding in the far flung suburbs, and even on the family land holding.

Is the Mango Festival on the cards for this year?

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 4912
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2020, 8:11 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 19, 2020, 8:00 pm
Having just consumed another large serving of mango and sticky rice, I have been inspired to reflect here on the mango season we are enjoying.

I have lived here full time since 2007, and really can't remember the equal.

Diverts one's mind from CV-19 and the beer shortage - for the moment at least. :D
Mango trees come in numerous different fruit cycles Jack , the most common two are the green sour crunchy sarm redoo (3 season variety) as the name suggest mangos 3 times per year ... then theres the riper softer sweeter yellow mangos you have with the sticky rice and white coconut sauce blooming lovely tiz too.. these are single season but growers plant on rotation and store them so they are readily available for longer periods ..

There are many different mango varieties but i only can comment accurately on these two ..

Sorry no link .. ;)

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6005
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by tamada » April 19, 2020, 8:12 pm

Mango Festival nightly at Castle tam. Gotta agree with the OP and say I can't recall it being so cheap and so good.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6005
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by tamada » April 19, 2020, 8:16 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 19, 2020, 8:11 pm
jackspratt wrote:
April 19, 2020, 8:00 pm
Having just consumed another large serving of mango and sticky rice, I have been inspired to reflect here on the mango season we are enjoying.

I have lived here full time since 2007, and really can't remember the equal.

Diverts one's mind from CV-19 and the beer shortage - for the moment at least. :D
Mango trees come in numerous different fruit cycles Jack , the most common two are the green sour crunchy sarm redoo (3 season variety) as the name suggest mangos 3 times per year ... then theres the riper softer sweeter yellow mangos you have with the sticky rice and white coconut sauce blooming lovely tiz too.. these are single season but growers plant on rotation and store them so they are readily available for longer periods ..

There are many different mango varieties but i only can comment accurately on these two ..

Sorry no link .. ;)

DM
IIRC the pick of the crop is called Nam Dokmai but I can say without fear of contradiction that I haven't had anything less than succulent and sweet at all this season.

The mangoes have been top notch too.

User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3238
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by vincemunday » April 19, 2020, 8:56 pm

Yes I have to agree, the mangoes are really cheap this year and the trees in my garden are absolutely hanging with fruits, I doubt even I on a mango frenzy could nosh them all so my guess is lots will end up on the compost heap.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 3289
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by Barney » April 19, 2020, 9:11 pm

vincemunday wrote:Yes I have to agree, the mangoes are really cheap this year and the trees in my garden are absolutely hanging with fruits, I doubt even I on a mango frenzy could nosh them all so my guess is lots will end up on the compost heap.
Vince
If you have a variety on your land you like, don’t toss them all, some may not know but just pick them and freeze for another day.
Peel, slice thinly, put in freezer bag and they will last for 10 or 12 months.
We rented a house for a couple of years in a small town called Gordonvale south of Cairns and had a massive Bowen Mango tree. Wife would drag a single bag out of the freezer when required for months, kids loved them. Heaps of recipes.
No need to toss all in the compost.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3238
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by vincemunday » April 19, 2020, 9:13 pm

Barney wrote:
April 19, 2020, 9:11 pm
vincemunday wrote:Yes I have to agree, the mangoes are really cheap this year and the trees in my garden are absolutely hanging with fruits, I doubt even I on a mango frenzy could nosh them all so my guess is lots will end up on the compost heap.
Vince
If you have a variety on your land you like, don’t toss them all, some may not know but just pick them and freeze for another day.
Peel, slice thinly, put in freezer bag and they will last for 10 or 12 months.
We rented a house for a couple of years in a small town called Gordonvale south of Cairns and had a massive Bowen Mango tree. Wife would drag a single bag out of the freezer when required for months, kids loved them. Heaps of recipes.
No need to toss all in the compost.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good advice Barney, I was thinking about having a go at building a drier too, I quite enjoy dried mango.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9535
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by parrot » April 19, 2020, 10:48 pm

Waay back when we lived in Panama, a friend of my wife's turned her on to homemade beef jerkey. My wife would marinate a few pounds of thick beef slices and place them on a cleaned window screen. She'd put that on top of our large outdoor AC compressor, then place another screen on top. A few hours later, if the local coati mundis didn't make off with the beef, my wife would store them in the fridge and bake them up to eat. I'd guess the FDA wouldn't approve, but my wife, daughter, and I never suffered any ill-effects.
Then, a decade later, while living inThailand, my wife 'invested' in one of those blue zippered screen contraptions that Thais use to dry meat, herbs, etc. That worked well enough, until another decade later, my wife discovered electric food dehydrators. She's on her third one now....dries beef, fish, fruit, herbs, flowers, mushrooms, pretty-much-you-name-it. The last one she bought from Lazada was a Severin.....German made........cost about 3000 baht. It has 5 shelves.....so you can dry an assortment of things together or a big load of one thing at a time.
Before this most recent trip to the US, she dehyrated a few pounds of chili peppers, galangal, magrut leaves, lemon grass, and other assorted jungle things to bring to Texas. When we arrived in the US, we had no problem with customs as the items were dehydrated.....not fresh.

pal52
udonmap.com
Posts: 952
Joined: September 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by pal52 » April 20, 2020, 7:40 am

Just made some Mango Chutney with a lot of my Mangos.

Very easy to make & lots of different recipes available.
I use Mango ,Apple & onion with vinegar sugar & a little chille powder.

Came out great.

Eat with cheese on toast or ham/chicken etc.
Especially nice with a curry & lasts for ages in the fridge.

timmy
udonmap.com
Posts: 614
Joined: June 27, 2014, 11:03 am

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by timmy » April 20, 2020, 10:07 am

any body got any easy recipes for " Mango whiskey " just a thought ...

User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3238
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by vincemunday » April 20, 2020, 10:22 am

I’m pretty sure you aren’t allowed to do this in Thailand but perhaps when you visit home.

https://practicalselfreliance.com/mango-wine/
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11584
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by jackspratt » April 20, 2020, 7:56 pm

Another night, another juicy, ripe & sweet mango.

Thank you mother nature. =D>

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 3289
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by Barney » April 20, 2020, 8:59 pm

Your not wrong jackspratt

They are very juicy at the moment. Are part of my morning 500ml smoothie including up to 10 of the following ingredients used each morning. What ever is in the fridge.

Tomatoes
Pineapple
Banana
Spinach
Kiwi fruit
Blueberry
Beetroot
Apple
Carrot
Mango
Avocado
Butterfly Pea flowers
Yanang juice from the leaves on the vine in the garden.
Plain yogurt

You’ll have to look up Yanang leaves. Thais use it for a detox.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choi choi
udonmap.com
Posts: 491
Joined: March 5, 2018, 10:35 pm

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by choi choi » April 20, 2020, 9:18 pm

timmy wrote:
April 20, 2020, 10:07 am
any body got any easy recipes for " Mango whiskey " just a thought ...
Dunno about "Whisky" I make Mango wine every year.As it happens, I just run out of whisky.
So I am using my wine back up. You tube has many video's how to make.
Lazada sell the wine yeast. "Lalvin"
Wine tasting now as I post!
mango wine.jpg

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9535
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by parrot » April 21, 2020, 2:43 am

Barney wrote:
April 20, 2020, 8:59 pm
Your not wrong jackspratt

They are very juicy at the moment. Are part of my morning 500ml smoothie including up to 10 of the following ingredients used each morning. What ever is in the fridge.

Tomatoes
Pineapple
Banana
Spinach
Kiwi fruit
Blueberry
Beetroot
Apple
Carrot
Mango
Avocado
Butterfly Pea flowers
Yanang juice from the leaves on the vine in the garden.
Plain yogurt

You’ll have to look up Yanang leaves. Thais use it for a detox.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yanang (ใบย่านัง) is used in a number of Isaan dishes.....supposedly helps cut the uric acid effect of bamboo soup. If you want to add some zing and extra health benefits to your smoothie, juice up a spoon or two of fresh (not the very young kind) of ginger. Now marooned in Texas, we buy a few pounds of ginger and a pound of tumeric at the Asian stores here....our daughter juices it up and adds it to smoothies, margaritas, apple juice.....or just makes a ginger/tumeric tea. Enjoy

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 4912
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 21, 2020, 5:31 am

I love fruit beers .. favs are mango . apple , passion fruit and raspberry.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 3289
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by Barney » April 21, 2020, 9:25 am

parrot wrote:
Barney wrote:
April 20, 2020, 8:59 pm
Your not wrong jackspratt

They are very juicy at the moment. Are part of my morning 500ml smoothie including up to 10 of the following ingredients used each morning. What ever is in the fridge.

Tomatoes
Pineapple
Banana
Spinach
Kiwi fruit
Blueberry
Beetroot
Apple
Carrot
Mango
Avocado
Butterfly Pea flowers
Yanang juice from the leaves on the vine in the garden.
Plain yogurt

You’ll have to look up Yanang leaves. Thais use it for a detox.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yanang (ใบย่านัง) is used in a number of Isaan dishes.....supposedly helps cut the uric acid effect of bamboo soup. If you want to add some zing and extra health benefits to your smoothie, juice up a spoon or two of fresh (not the very young kind) of ginger. Now marooned in Texas, we buy a few pounds of ginger and a pound of tumeric at the Asian stores here....our daughter juices it up and adds it to smoothies, margaritas, apple juice.....or just makes a ginger/tumeric tea. Enjoy
Thanks Parrot
Not to go off on a tangent from jackspratts mango thread but the thread leads to the health benefits of eating mangos and other fruits and herbal plants available. And ofcourse fruit beers.
Have been using Yanang juice for a while now in other drinks. Link below for many more Yanang benefits.
But I like my smoothies a bit sweeter. So no ginger.
One of my morning demands is to pick the Butterfly Pea flowers from the vine. Missus boils these into a tea and I drink it cold from the fridge throughout the day. This blue/purple tea is on occasion boiled with ginger for the spiced up hit you refer to.
Juicy Mangos from Aunty the neighbor on the menu this morning.

https://www.coolinggreenlife.com/health ... ng/en.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipoz4444
udonmap.com
Posts: 1039
Joined: April 8, 2011, 1:33 am
Location: All Over the Place

Re: What a Season it is For Mangoes

Post by pipoz4444 » April 23, 2020, 4:05 pm

Seem to have two types of Mango at the house so far, but apparently have heaps of them :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Long Thin ones:

Mangos on 23 April 2020 (1) (Custom).jpg

Round Fat ones:

Mangos on 23 April 2020 (3) (Custom).jpg


pipoz4444

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”