power bill reductions (covid-19)

General Udon Thani topics only!
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: power bill reductions (covid-19)

Post by Barney » June 24, 2020, 7:18 pm

Must be the end result f discounts after this bill read 21/6

Even got the huge 3 baht discount on the second meter and n the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 20, 2020, 9:48 am

Just got the bill for my bungalow, no more reductions.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 20, 2020, 11:15 am

vincemunday wrote:
July 20, 2020, 9:48 am
Just got the bill for my bungalow, no more reductions.
I would say so, I was just looking at mine, which has jumped up about 12% from last month :cry: :cry:

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 20, 2020, 6:27 pm

Don't ask me to swear to it, but my wife talked of further reductions being made until December.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 20, 2020, 8:10 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
July 20, 2020, 6:27 pm
Don't ask me to swear to it, but my wife talked of further reductions being made until December.
Rainy season Brian ,,, the further discounts are referred to as power cuts ..or outages.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 20, 2020, 8:33 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 20, 2020, 8:10 pm
Brian Davis wrote:
Rainy season Brian ,,, the further discounts are referred to as power cuts ..or outages.

DM
Good one DM...:-)

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 20, 2020, 10:29 pm

Brian Davis wrote:

Unfortunately your missus is wrong, but I wish she was right.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 21, 2020, 4:33 am

vincemunday wrote:
July 20, 2020, 10:29 pm
Brian Davis wrote:

You may well be correct, but getting her(or any Thai for that matter) to say so would come as a surprise. She offered that the possibility was being 'aired' on tv.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 21, 2020, 7:33 am

Brian Davis wrote:
July 21, 2020, 4:33 am
vincemunday wrote:
July 20, 2020, 10:29 pm
Brian Davis wrote:

You may well be correct, but getting her(or any Thai for that matter) to say so would come as a surprise. She offered that the possibility was being 'aired' on tv.

Like Pipo I already have my bill and there’s no discount, maybe they will backtrack like they did before.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 21, 2020, 8:43 am

nope ,no reductions on our bill today...as info ;)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 21, 2020, 1:45 pm

Full price this month here as well.....
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2020, 4:06 pm

And mine has gone up! The moobahn low voltage issue that historically sees low evening power in March and April has rolled through to the present where even daytime drops are more frequent. Never seen that before. During the 127 volt daytime incident last week, I had an online chat with a PEA rep who said they couldn't see any issues in our area. Their grid is all monitored remotely these days so if "computer says no", it never happened and the engineers carry on snoozing. Mrs tam left 5 messages on their hotline, all unanswered. When I mentioned this in the online chat, they said the helpline is very busy. After apologizing for the problem and saying it had been logged for action, the rep signed off by telling me to use their hotline if problems persisted. Still no response but Mrs tam is now sufficiently galvanised into bombarding them with the hundreds of time-stamped smartphone pictures of our non-existent high voltage.

A quick bit of research indicates that low voltage makes appliances consume more current which equates to more units burned and a higher bill.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 21, 2020, 4:35 pm

If you're down to 127 volts the major concern is appliances, eg. Refrigerator compressors, if they stall then it's a horrible smell followed by "poof"!

I have an undervoltage relay installed that trips at about 185 volts just for this type of situation.

Edit:
BTW, Ohms Law --- P = IE

If the voltage drops the current will increase to compensate BUT the power consumed will remain the same. It's the increase in current that will fry your compressor.
OK there will be a very slight power factor influence covered by all sorts of formulas re inductive loads.

More importantly, it's "Beer O'Clock" :-)
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2020, 6:24 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
July 21, 2020, 4:35 pm
If you're down to 127 volts the major concern is appliances, eg. Refrigerator compressors, if they stall then it's a horrible smell followed by "poof"!

I have an undervoltage relay installed that trips at about 185 volts just for this type of situation.

Edit:
BTW, Ohms Law --- P = IE

If the voltage drops the current will increase to compensate BUT the power consumed will remain the same. It's the increase in current that will fry your compressor.
OK there will be a very slight power factor influence covered by all sorts of formulas re inductive loads.

More importantly, it's "Beer O'Clock" :-)
Those undervoltage protectors on fridges and aircons were all the rage in Myanmar and they were made in Thailand but TBH, I haven't seen any in Udon shops. Maybe lazada has them? I have 3 fridges and a freezer here and doubt I can keep dodging that "brown smell" moment.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 21, 2020, 6:45 pm

Just a simple 220 VAC "Motor/Pump Contactor" with a 120 Ohm 5 watt resistor in series with the Contractor coil. Ain't rocket science.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 21, 2020, 7:20 pm

tamada wrote:
July 21, 2020, 4:06 pm

A quick bit of research indicates that low voltage makes appliances consume more current which equates to more units burned and a higher bill.
I’m sorry that your research has produced incorrect information.

The low voltage has no effect on your bill. It will however kill some equipment specially motors. If you are going under about 180V you should be logging it and making reports to the PEA you should be encouraging your neighbours to do the same as that is something the PEA can and does fix.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2020, 8:10 pm

I stand corrected (again). The low voltage = high bills fallacy has motivated Mrs tam to get more involved though so that's a bonus.

After 12 years of crap power, I have as much faith in the moobahn mustering behind her as I do in the PEA actually fixing anything. For the past 5 or 6 summers, the too small distribution transformer ritually fails. Sometimes it dies quietly in the night, other times it explodes noisily and spectacularly with hot oil igniting the dried undergrowth nearby. Then the PEA chaps appear and ritually replace it with the same size transformer but the low voltage abides.

Their state of the art remote power monitoring system doesn't monitor anything.

But enough about that.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 22, 2020, 7:05 am

tamada wrote:
July 21, 2020, 8:10 pm
I stand corrected (again). The low voltage = high bills fallacy has motivated Mrs tam to get more involved though so that's a bonus.

After 12 years of crap power, I have as much faith in the moobahn mustering behind her as I do in the PEA actually fixing anything. For the past 5 or 6 summers, the too small distribution transformer ritually fails. Sometimes it dies quietly in the night, other times it explodes noisily and spectacularly with hot oil igniting the dried undergrowth nearby. Then the PEA chaps appear and ritually replace it with the same size transformer but the low voltage abides.

Their state of the art remote power monitoring system doesn't monitor anything.

But enough about that.
There are a few taps on the transformer, it’s a simple job for the PEA to swap to a higher one unless they are already using the highest.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 22, 2020, 7:54 am

^ The transformer was undersized 12 years ago. Since then, the number of homes it feeds has clearly doubled yet they replace the failed transformers with one's the same size. From that I would assume we are already "tapped out".

I grew up during the UK's fascination with "ring mains" household wiring and learned quickly enough that if a 3A fuse repeatedly blows and the appliance isn't faulty, then a larger fuse is required. Even replacing all the fuses with 13A ones, although not recommended, there's no evidence of a huge amount of UK house fires because the fuse on the bedside light was too big. Mind you, with the literal rat's nest of wiring on broken poles that is the hallmark of PEA professionalism, maybe the fuse analogy is a bit dangerous here.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 22, 2020, 8:42 am

tamada wrote:
July 22, 2020, 7:54 am
^ The transformer was undersized 12 years ago. Since then, the number of homes it feeds has clearly doubled yet they replace the failed transformers with one's the same size. From that I would assume we are already "tapped out".
That is a dangerous assumption.

The PEA will not automatically change the transformer tapping.

Unless you know the way the connections are structured you will not know if you are on the highest output tapping. AFIK the PEA has do remote way of checking which tapping is being used.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”