minimiglia
udonmap.com

Re: how to call back to the UK cheap from Thailand

Post by minimiglia » May 10, 2020, 8:02 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 10, 2020, 7:48 am
minimiglia wrote:
May 10, 2020, 7:18 am
Yes it does and you only need messenger not facebook, I us it all the time too easy and FREE
As a minimum it requires a farcebook account to log on so that is not correct.
How often do you call someone with a POTS number?

If you are calling to smartphones that doesn’t count if they have messager or farcebook on them.

I remain to be convinced that Farcebook is paying for your telephone calls, if you’re calling into the POTS system or to a telephone like mine then someone is paying.

Can you call a Thai number for free, it should be possible as they cost less than a U.K. call?
You do not need facebook to have messenger, also line is free you are so out of date

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2020, 9:03 am

minimiglia wrote:
May 10, 2020, 8:02 am
May 10, 2020, 7:48 am
minimiglia wrote:
May 10, 2020, 7:18 am
Yes it does and you only need messenger not facebook, I us it all the time too easy and FREE
As a minimum it requires a farcebook account to log on so that is not correct.
How often do you call someone with a POTS number?

If you are calling to smartphones that doesn’t count if they have messager or farcebook on them.

I remain to be convinced that Farcebook is paying for your telephone calls, if you’re calling into the POTS system or to a telephone like mine then someone is paying.

Can you call a Thai number for free, it should be possible as they cost less than a U.K. call?
You do not need facebook to have messenger, also line is free you are so out of date
You have to have a Farcebook account or create one to sign in with Messenger.
There is no service that will call a POTS line or my phone for free

You are the one who doesn’t understand. All the services allow free calls app to app, many use a phone number as a registration. Many services do not make clear that you are calling app to app specially if you use a smart phone.

No service allows a free call to a regular phone.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 10, 2020, 9:23 am

Yolla is a phone number to phone number app.
Receiver gets your phone number displayed.
Calls over internet.
Not free but cost SFA

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2020, 9:42 am

mickojak wrote:
May 10, 2020, 9:23 am
Yolla is a phone number to phone number app.
Receiver gets your phone number displayed.
Calls over internet.
Not free but cost SFA
There are quite a few IP phone services, virtually all are low to extremely low cost, most are a bit more than the app to phone services

IP phone is how you can call out from all the app to app services, none of these are free

The only free app to phone is for numbers that are toll free and that may not be for every country.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 10, 2020, 1:14 pm

Well I can phone everyone for free on messenger

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 10, 2020, 1:19 pm

I thought with messenger can only call people u are connected with????

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » May 10, 2020, 2:02 pm

Yes same as what's app can only call people you are connected with.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 10, 2020, 2:52 pm

I haven’t got a keypad on Messenger so cannot dial any numbers. I can only call people who are contacts.

I can dial numbers through Line if I apply credit in advance & it costs B0.64/min to the UK but it’s got to be an area designated number or mobile not an 03 or 08 number. My bank has a “dialling from abroad” number to bypass this
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » May 10, 2020, 3:03 pm

Last time I used Skype to phone UK cost was about 34 pence per minute, if you shop around next time the Central plaza is open there are some good deals I've been with True for a while they where charging 15 pence per minute to the UK.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2020, 4:32 pm

dezzer111 wrote:
May 10, 2020, 3:03 pm
Last time I used Skype to phone UK cost was about 34 pence per minute, if you shop around next time the Central plaza is open there are some good deals I've been with True for a while they where charging 15 pence per minute to the UK.
You must have been calling a premium rate number or government premium rate number. Even mobiles aren’t that expensive.
3C61AB63-F540-4A0A-AF48-7E1EE7863A1F.jpeg

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 10, 2020, 5:03 pm

May 10, 2020, 4:32 pm
dezzer111 wrote:
You must have been calling a premium rate number or government premium rate number. Even mobiles aren’t that expensive.
If you buy a pack of minutes on skype it is very cheap. I prepay $10 a month to Oz and get 300 minutes to land and mobiles. I laso have an Oz number, Australian callers can call on that for the cost of a local call and it goes through to Skype
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2020, 5:47 pm

minimiglia wrote:
May 10, 2020, 1:14 pm
I do not believe that is true.

Next time I’m coming into Udon we can arrange a location to meet where you can call my phone we would have to have a 3rd party to hold 1,000 baht from each of us. The one who is proved correct collects the 2,000 from the umpire and the looser posts a public apology. My phone number is a standard AIS number.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2020, 5:59 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 10, 2020, 5:03 pm
dezzer111 wrote:
If you buy a pack of minutes on skype it is very cheap. I prepay $10 a month to Oz and get 300 minutes to land and mobiles. I laso have an Oz number, Australian callers can call on that for the cost of a local call and it goes through to Skype
Until I retired I was living in Japan and used the unlimited (it isn’t quite) world subscription it was about the same amount though the only countries with free mobile calling that I used were Hong Kong, Singapore, and Thailand landline calls were free to 60 countries Australia is one. The unlimited is really about 6 hours per day or 10,000 minutes per month

I don’t know if that is still offered but it makes really good sense if you have a lot of calls to a lot of countries.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 11, 2020, 10:04 am

May 10, 2020, 5:47 pm
minimiglia wrote:
May 10, 2020, 1:14 pm

Next time I’m coming into Udon we can arrange a location to meet where you can call my phone we would have to have a 3rd party to hold 1,000 baht from each of us. The one who is proved correct collects the 2,000 from the umpire and the looser posts a public apology. My phone number is a standard AIS number.
Nope works for me and if not for you I really do not care

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » May 11, 2020, 1:41 pm

May 10, 2020, 5:59 pm
Whistler wrote:
May 10, 2020, 5:03 pm
dezzer111 wrote:
Last time I used Skype to phone UK cost was about 34 pence peminute, if you shop around next time the Central plaza is open there are some good deals I've been with True for a while they where charging 15 pence per minute to the UK.
Until I retired I was living in Japan and used the unlimited (it isn’t quite) world subscription it was about the same amount though the only countries with free mobile calling that I used were Hong Kong, Singapore, and Thailand landline calls were free to 60 countries Australia is one. The unlimited is really about 6 hours per day or 10,000 minutes per month

I don’t know if that is still offered but it makes really good sense if you have a lot of calls to a lot of countries.
Should read 34 cents per minute.

Hatari

Post by Hatari » May 11, 2020, 1:44 pm

Free phone calls have been available using messenger app since 2013.
Woodworker stands to lose his money if that bet is accepted.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 11, 2020, 5:12 pm

Hatari wrote:
May 11, 2020, 1:44 pm
Free phone calls have been available using messenger app since 2013.
Woodworker stands to lose his money if that bet is accepted.
Please post a link to this information.

Note the claim is from the app to any phone. Specifically not to a phone with the app installed on it.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 11, 2020, 7:38 pm

I have a True account. They have a prefix number 00644131 (Edinburgh) that lets me talk to me mother back home, a 25 minute call costs around 100 baht.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 11, 2020, 8:22 pm

minimiglia wrote:
May 11, 2020, 10:04 am
by minimiglia » May 11, 2020, 1:04 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote: ↑May 10, 2020, 8:47 pm
minimiglia wrote: ↑May 10, 2020, 4:14 pm

Nope works for me and if not for you I really do not care
Hi Mini,
Here's my number 0428 696 009
Can you just dial that from messenger, or do we have to be linked?
If so, can you tell me how?
As I, and I'm sure, plenty others on the forum would love to know how to do it.
I have messenger, but have never been aware that this is possible?

I'm not trying to be smart, but if it can be done, it would be great to know how.
Thanks
Mick

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 11, 2020, 10:19 pm

I have used Skype for over 15 years or so now and I’ve found them to be the cheapest and most reliable worldwide voip service available, you can top up your account ad hoc or take out a plan, if you phone overseas a lot a plan might be a good idea, you can get some really good deals with them.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”