Salt Water Pool

General Udon Thani topics only!
mickojak
udonmap.com

Salt Water Pool

Post by mickojak » June 15, 2020, 8:46 am

Just wondering if any members have salt water pools?

I'd be interested in knowing the differences in cleaning, time, cost etc, compared to my chlorine pool.

Or can I, should I, add salt as well?

I'm fine keeping it clean when I'm here, but if I go away for extended periods, it generally turns to shYt, even if I leave chemicals, instructions etc, with the missus.

Mick

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Salt Water Pool

Post by glalt » June 15, 2020, 9:51 am

A good friend of mine has a salt water pool. It does contain salt but my friend says that if you can taste the salt, you have added too much. The pool is pristine and requires very little maintenance.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 15, 2020, 10:06 am

mickojak wrote:
June 15, 2020, 8:46 am
Just wondering if any members have salt water pools?

I'd be interested in knowing the differences in cleaning, time, cost etc, compared to my chlorine pool.

Or can I, should I, add salt as well?

I'm fine keeping it clean when I'm here, but if I go away for extended periods, it generally turns to shYt, even if I leave chemicals, instructions etc, with the missus.

Mick
If you have a salt water pool you need a Chlorinator and a Contoller.
The chlorinator turns the salt water into Chlorine.
You have to size everything correctly.
Chlorinators and controller is expensive.
Get a quote from a Pool builder to add a Chlorinator.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 15, 2020, 10:52 am

nothing more easy than maintaining a swim, mick are u using a floating chlorinator with chlorine tablets 90%?, if not u should use this one ,and only thing the wife has to do is look it is never empty and leave it in the water always, more easy than working with powdered chlorine , and leave your filter do automatically his work controlled by a timer , floating chlorinator you can buy fe here
https://shopee.co.th/search?facet=57&ke ... 0dispenser , look for the ones that can contain the 200gr tablets ,so not the small ones ..., we almost never have work or problems with the pool ...as info ;)

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » June 15, 2020, 11:12 am

Thanks Kopkei,
yeah, I've got a floating chlorine tablet holder, and I've modified it.
My pool is very small, so one tablet is way too much chlorine at full immersion, (the dogs drink from the pool also), so I've rigged up a stainless mesh to hold the tablet half out of the water, so it gets the perfect amount of chlorine.
I can probably modify it some more to hold some more tablets

Sometimes, in the wet season, the acid gets out of balance because of the rain, but you are correct and it is fairly easy to maintain.

If, I ever get to go away again, (ha ha), I just want it to be as hassle free for the wife as possible.
Always looking for easier ways to do things. :lol:

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 16, 2020, 9:42 am

You could try Copper Sulphate.
You will only need a small amount if it is a small pool.
I have just bought some for my pool.
You only use it twice a year as a prevention for Algae.
Instructions are on the container.
Available from Swimming pools Thailand who have an advert top left of Home page.

https://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/33-algicides

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » June 16, 2020, 5:37 pm

pal52 wrote:
June 16, 2020, 9:42 am
You could try Copper Sulphate
Thanks Pal,
They built my pool but have never mentioned that.
I'll research.
Mick

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 16, 2020, 7:48 pm

We've had a salt water in ground pool here at our house for close to 15 years now. Maintenance is really quite simple. Once you have the correct salt level established you don't need to add more salt as it will not evaporate. PH needs to be controlled by adding liquid acid to the water as it normally runs high. The only other chemical needed is cyanauric acid which will "protect" the chlorine from being destroyed by the sun. You'll need a computer controlled chlorinator to produce the chlorine from the salt. The free chlorine will eventually recombine with the sodium turning it into salt to be broken down by the chlorinator and circulated into the pool.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 16, 2020, 8:23 pm

mickojak wrote:
June 16, 2020, 5:37 pm
pal52 wrote:
Thanks Pal,
I'll research.
Mick
Just type in Copper Sulphate for pools on Google and you will get the pros and cons for its use.
I will add some to my pool tomorrow but at the moment it is crystal clear.
I am going to use it as a preventative for Algae as I have had problems with the rainy season giving me Algae problems.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 16, 2020, 9:14 pm

pal52 wrote:
mickojak wrote:
June 16, 2020, 5:37 pm
pal52 wrote:
Thanks Pal,
I'll research.
Mick
Just type in Copper Sulphate for pools on Google and you will get the pros and cons for its use.
I will add some to my pool tomorrow but at the moment it is crystal clear.
I am going to use it as a preventative for Algae as I have had problems with the rainy season giving me Algae problems.
Thanks Pal
Food for thought, never seen the copper product mentioned in pool talk or videos, unless it has been called by a specific product name . I’ve been scrubbing to remove algae and will look to your info for a long term remedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 17, 2020, 12:21 pm

Brney the algae problem may be due to incorrect ph of the water. I have no algae problems at all but constantly keep a check on the ph.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 17, 2020, 2:17 pm

fdimike wrote:Brney the algae problem may be due to incorrect ph of the water. I have no algae problems at all but constantly keep a check on the ph.
Thanks fdmike.
I’ll be monitoring the pool more closely now that I’m home more permanently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPa41000
udonmap.com

Post by iPa41000 » June 18, 2020, 7:20 am

I have a pool with a chlorinator for 3 years now, I bought a salinity tester on Ali, and make some checks a year. To keep it upper than 4000ppm. Especially during the wet season, strong rain will make your pool overflow, so you loose salt.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 18, 2020, 8:25 am

beware , a good automated chlorinator is bloody expensive and they are very sensible to an unstable electricity net as on many places in los ...
so they need also extra protection against this ...as info ;)

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 18, 2020, 7:37 pm

Yes you will lose some salt during the rainy season but not very much. I believe all good chlorinators have a salt detection system built into them to tell you when the salt is low.

The electricity issue is a bit tricky as some chlorinators are more prone to electrical instability than others. We have 2 different chlorinators operating on my large salt water pool ( 2 pumps & 2 Hayward DE filters). We had to have some kind of electrical control on the Zodiac while the Surechlor operates just fine on its own.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”