US Passport Renewal

General Udon Thani topics only!
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

US Passport Renewal

Post by LoneTraveler » June 19, 2020, 1:29 pm

Has anyone recently renewed their US Passport successfully by mail? I need to renew mine within the next 9 weeks to receive a one-year extension. I will only have 6 months left before expiration after extension in September. According to the US Embassy website, they have just resumed issuing new passports under phase 1 which is limited service with no timeframe as to when they will send out new passport by mail. Usually 2-3 weeks but now unknown timeframe. I am concerned if I mail my passport to the Embassy and then later asked for original passport by immigration and/or police. Also withdraw funds from bank. And my one-year extension is due early September.

Embassy states "when they go to phase 3 all will return to normal" but no timeframe is given. I can take a chance, and mail it out now in the hopes my new Passport will reach me by the end of August. I will go to Immigration and see what my options are (if any) and perhaps if I do not receive new passport by September, the I/O will give me a 6 month extension. Unfortunately, I have not looked at the Embassy site recently to see all new passports are to be by mail.

Any advice, experience will be greatly appreciated.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Re: US Passport Renewal

Post by fdimike » June 19, 2020, 8:12 pm

Why not send an email to ACS Bangkok to get some answers directly from the Embassy?
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » June 20, 2020, 2:46 am

I did mine last year by mail. Just follow the embassy instructions and no problems. Took a couple of weeks.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » June 20, 2020, 10:27 am

fdimike wrote:
June 19, 2020, 8:12 pm
Why not send an email to ACS Bangkok to get some answers directly from the Embassy?
Did that. They state all passports must be done by mail and old passport must be included, no exceptions. The problem is they stopped issuing passports until recently and that is on a limited basis. They have a backlog of 1.72 million passports to be issued and It is on a first come basis. Therefore, there is no timeframe for new passports to be issued.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » June 20, 2020, 6:44 pm

I had to renew mine during the virus problem. I was told by the Embassy they were not issuing new passports but I could request an emergency PP for 1 year. I dd and received it in good time as my old one was about to expire. Contact ACS at the embassy for the latest correct info.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”