school fees

General Udon Thani topics only!
dragonz
udonmap.com
Posts: 426
Joined: October 24, 2017, 8:29 am

school fees

Post by dragonz » August 9, 2020, 1:31 pm

Not to happy with christian school at the moment . Son finished school before songran ie beginning of april . School charges 2 fees a year ., may to oct holidays then november to april . Last year 13, 500 per term and 4,000 bahts for books .
This year not been to school since early july and just started back 2 weeks ago 3 days a week . tuesday , thursday and saturday so been a total of 6 days in 5 months . Just got this years bill 14,650 baht. Up from last year and not even been to school and will have a new bill in november . Seems like they are extracting the urine . Problem is thai parents to scared to complain to schools but i think i will not pay for 3 months of school he never had



User avatar
mech_401
udonmap.com
Posts: 845
Joined: August 13, 2018, 3:59 am

Re: school fees

Post by mech_401 » August 10, 2020, 3:20 am

that really is taking the pis* . or cheeky or
whatever your favorite phrase. attempting to
charge for instruction which never even took place

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1193
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: school fees

Post by AlexO » August 10, 2020, 8:45 am

I understand your sentiments Dragonz, but if the school kept on all the teachers, cleaners etc during the lockdown so that the children have a seamless return to normal schooling then they are probably entitled to charge as normal (vast percentage of school running costs are staff wages) If they did not then your complaint is very valid. Worth checking before taking further actions.

dragonz
udonmap.com
Posts: 426
Joined: October 24, 2017, 8:29 am

Re: school fees

Post by dragonz » August 10, 2020, 9:13 pm

AlexO wrote:
August 10, 2020, 8:45 am
I understand your sentiments Dragonz, but if the school kept on all the teachers, cleaners etc during the lockdown so that the children have a seamless return to normal schooling then they are probably entitled to charge as normal (vast percentage of school running costs are staff wages) If they did not then your complaint is very valid. Worth checking before taking further actions.
yes i agree with what you say but i thought a reduced cost would have been ok but not the full price which was more than last year .This is a government school with extra funding by charging to go there ie air con school meals etc . The teachers are paid by the government and there was no school was shut for 3 months so no electric or meals etc .Probably have to pay but not happy about it . I was wondering are there any other schools charging full price ?
All businesses have lost money but if they charge the full price they will have made more money out of the virus

dunroaming
udonmap.com
Posts: 1397
Joined: July 14, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: school fees

Post by dunroaming » August 10, 2020, 9:44 pm

dragonz wrote:
August 9, 2020, 1:31 pm
Not to happy with christian school at the moment . Son finished school before songran ie beginning of april . School charges 2 fees a year ., may to oct holidays then november to april . Last year 13, 500 per term and 4,000 bahts for books .
This year not been to school since early july and just started back 2 weeks ago 3 days a week . tuesday , thursday and saturday so been a total of 6 days in 5 months . Just got this years bill 14,650 baht. Up from last year and not even been to school and will have a new bill in november . Seems like they are extracting the urine . Problem is thai parents to scared to complain to schools but i think i will not pay for 3 months of school he never had
They will probably claim force majeure, basically an act of God where no one is to blame and no one could have prevented this from happening. The additional costs maybe be related to the social distancing rules that schools had to adapt too since the pandemic which would reduce places or costs to build particle walls between pupils. Hard to swallow I understand but many things have changed due to Covid. My return flights to Kazakhstan used to be about £500 was quoted for potential travel next week £3500 one way!

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1193
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: school fees

Post by AlexO » August 11, 2020, 7:49 am

dragonz wrote:
August 10, 2020, 9:13 pm
AlexO wrote:
August 10, 2020, 8:45 am
I understand your sentiments Dragonz, but if the school kept on all the teachers, cleaners etc during the lockdown so that the children have a seamless return to normal schooling then they are probably entitled to charge as normal (vast percentage of school running costs are staff wages) If they did not then your complaint is very valid. Worth checking before taking further actions.
yes i agree with what you say but i thought a reduced cost would have been ok but not the full price which was more than last year .This is a government school with extra funding by charging to go there ie air con school meals etc . The teachers are paid by the government and there was no school was shut for 3 months so no electric or meals etc .Probably have to pay but not happy about it . I was wondering are there any other schools charging full price ?
All businesses have lost money but if they charge the full price they will have made more money out of the virus
Yes, my daughters school at Nong Mek. But granted we only pay around 5K per term plus the usual 3 different uniforms and books etc. They dropped the price when they decided to stop providing lunch meals. Not jumping up and down happy but can understand the reasons why.

User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 2303
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Re: school fees

Post by noosard » August 11, 2020, 9:15 am

dunroaming wrote:
August 10, 2020, 9:44 pm
dragonz wrote:
August 9, 2020, 1:31 pm
Not to happy with christian school at the moment . Son finished school before songran ie beginning of april . School charges 2 fees a year ., may to oct holidays then november to april . Last year 13, 500 per term and 4,000 bahts for books .
This year not been to school since early july and just started back 2 weeks ago 3 days a week . tuesday , thursday and saturday so been a total of 6 days in 5 months . Just got this years bill 14,650 baht. Up from last year and not even been to school and will have a new bill in november . Seems like they are extracting the urine . Problem is thai parents to scared to complain to schools but i think i will not pay for 3 months of school he never had
They will probably claim force majeure, basically an act of God where no one is to blame and no one could have prevented this from happening. The additional costs maybe be related to the social distancing rules that schools had to adapt too since the pandemic which would reduce places or costs to build particle walls between pupils. Hard to swallow I understand but many things have changed due to Covid. My return flights to Kazakhstan used to be about £500 was quoted for potential travel next week £3500 one way!
Not sure about the christian school but Paramin wont use aircon now because of covid
Lunch area has plastic barriers between kids
but make no senses as the kids play all together
and the bus same numbers as before
What I find difficult is which days each kid goes each week as it changes each week
No actual i dont find difficult gave up worrying about it

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6921
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: school fees

Post by tamada » August 11, 2020, 10:02 am

tam jr. topped out at Udon Christian Udondutsadi last tear and matriculated this year at Udon Christian Suksa. We paid the first term fees early as usual. Coincidentally, later the same day, the government announced the delay to school reopening. UCS reopened 1st July and due to small class sizes, it's Mon-Fri with no buggering about with odd/even or what have you. I guess we will see what Novembers invoice brings.

dragonz
udonmap.com
Posts: 426
Joined: October 24, 2017, 8:29 am

Re: school fees

Post by dragonz » August 13, 2020, 8:57 am

The school was shut for 3 months and when i went passed the gates were locked . they still get the government money so no real excuse for charging for a full year .
If you were a regular at a bar and it shut for 3 months when it reopened you would not expect to pay for the drinks you never had even if they kept their staff on.
I can pay the money but a lot of thai parents who could not work during the crisis will struggle . My boys mother and her partner worked in a factory in bkk which was shut so they had to come home with no job so they cannot pay anything.
I think it is dam cheek to ask for a full years money

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6921
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: school fees

Post by tamada » August 13, 2020, 9:42 pm

^ Did you drive past the locked main gate or walk past the smaller, walk-in gate to the left, just in front of their office?

AFAIK, no school is billing for a full year of tuition.

dragonz
udonmap.com
Posts: 426
Joined: October 24, 2017, 8:29 am

Re: school fees

Post by dragonz » August 14, 2020, 6:23 am

tamada wrote:
August 13, 2020, 9:42 pm
^ Did you drive past the locked main gate or walk past the smaller, walk-in gate to the left, just in front of their office?

AFAIK, no school is billing for a full year of tuition.
I went there one day and the small gate was locked no sure the rest of the times i passed but it looked empty. Sorry was not a full year but a full term . Term is 5 months and i paid 13,500 last year . this year will be 2 months and they want 14,600 , the amount for a full term . next payment will be in november after the october holidays . Roughly 3,000 baht a month so 6,000 baht for 2 months and perhaps 2,000 baht for things they have to do even though no school would be right .
Will have to pay as i find you can never reason with a thai over a bill .This is my boys last year as he is 11 but my youngest boy is 5 next year and i was going to send him there but now will not do after this and the ridiculous amount of uniforms he has . Crazy its not a school just a business and clothes shop . He plays football for the school and sometimes has to buy a strip just for 1 game never wear again . Why no school strip always the same ? He now has 7 strips and 8 uniforms .

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1193
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: school fees

Post by AlexO » August 14, 2020, 8:52 am

dragonz wrote:
August 13, 2020, 8:57 am
The school was shut for 3 months and when i went passed the gates were locked . they still get the government money so no real excuse for charging for a full year .
If you were a regular at a bar and it shut for 3 months when it reopened you would not expect to pay for the drinks you never had even if they kept their staff on.
I can pay the money but a lot of thai parents who could not work during the crisis will struggle . My boys mother and her partner worked in a factory in bkk which was shut so they had to come home with no job so they cannot pay anything.
I think it is dam cheek to ask for a full years money
Don't think anyone is really happy about it, but what would you think if instead of paying rent and staff costs for 3 months with no income your bar decided just to close permanently. A lose /lose situation. Easy solution, go to the school demand a refund or you will remove your lad from the school permanently. Let us know how you get on.

User avatar
rick
udonmap.com
Posts: 2513
Joined: January 9, 2008, 10:36 am
Location: Udon, or UK May-August

Re: school fees

Post by rick » August 14, 2020, 2:53 pm

St Mary's not quite so bad. They did refund the 'optional' summer school fees for the April-May holiday, and did provide some token online learning for June. They went back at beginning of July, full-time.

dragonz
udonmap.com
Posts: 426
Joined: October 24, 2017, 8:29 am

Re: school fees

Post by dragonz » August 15, 2020, 11:15 am

AlexO wrote:
August 14, 2020, 8:52 am
dragonz wrote:
August 13, 2020, 8:57 am
The school was shut for 3 months and when i went passed the gates were locked . they still get the government money so no real excuse for charging for a full year .
If you were a regular at a bar and it shut for 3 months when it reopened you would not expect to pay for the drinks you never had even if they kept their staff on.
I can pay the money but a lot of thai parents who could not work during the crisis will struggle . My boys mother and her partner worked in a factory in bkk which was shut so they had to come home with no job so they cannot pay anything.
I think it is dam cheek to ask for a full years money
Don't think anyone is really happy about it, but what would you think if instead of paying rent and staff costs for 3 months with no income your bar decided just to close permanently. A lose /lose situation. Easy solution, go to the school demand a refund or you will remove your lad from the school permanently. Let us know how you get on.
Another one on here that has to give abuse for no reason . It is easy for me to move my boy from the school but not easy for him but of course that would not enter your head would it being another udon map unfeeling member . I do not think any other business in the world charges for what they have not received . So you would pay for the 3 months drinks you never had to save the bar closing . Not much intellect there is it . Easy to find another bar but to move my boy at 11 yr from a school and friends he has been to since 4 yr old is not so easy . Better you start to use your brain instead of leaving it go to waste.
Do you pay for flight u never had or hotels you never booked or pay workers who never worked . OF COURSE NOT !! This school still received government money and teachers still got paid while hotels factories and bars got nothing .

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 3364
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: school fees

Post by Barney » August 15, 2020, 10:10 pm

Start getting our monies worth as of next week, daughters school finally starts back to a 5 day week.
I suppose that just means road kaos every day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1193
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: school fees

Post by AlexO » August 16, 2020, 6:37 am

dragonz wrote:
August 15, 2020, 11:15 am
AlexO wrote:
August 14, 2020, 8:52 am
dragonz wrote:
August 13, 2020, 8:57 am
The school was shut for 3 months and when i went passed the gates were locked . they still get the government money so no real excuse for charging for a full year .
If you were a regular at a bar and it shut for 3 months when it reopened you would not expect to pay for the drinks you never had even if they kept their staff on.
I can pay the money but a lot of thai parents who could not work during the crisis will struggle . My boys mother and her partner worked in a factory in bkk which was shut so they had to come home with no job so they cannot pay anything.
I think it is dam cheek to ask for a full years money
Don't think anyone is really happy about it, but what would you think if instead of paying rent and staff costs for 3 months with no income your bar decided just to close permanently. A lose /lose situation. Easy solution, go to the school demand a refund or you will remove your lad from the school permanently. Let us know how you get on.
Another one on here that has to give abuse for no reason . It is easy for me to move my boy from the school but not easy for him but of course that would not enter your head would it being another udon map unfeeling member . I do not think any other business in the world charges for what they have not received . So you would pay for the 3 months drinks you never had to save the bar closing . Not much intellect there is it . Easy to find another bar but to move my boy at 11 yr from a school and friends he has been to since 4 yr old is not so easy . Better you start to use your brain instead of leaving it go to waste.
Do you pay for flight u never had or hotels you never booked or pay workers who never worked . OF COURSE NOT !! This school still received government money and teachers still got paid while hotels factories and bars got nothing .
I really fail to see where the abuse is Dragonz, and unfeeling? In previous posts I have expressed sympathy for your plight but have also pointed out the realities of the situation. Okay, dont threaten to remove your son from school but still go and express your concerns at having to pay for tuition that did not happen. Let us know what happened. I am sure my brain was not wasted until I posted on this thread.

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 4699
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: school fees

Post by Khun Paul » August 16, 2020, 1:11 pm

Not paid much attention to schools recently, but I seem to remember that possible holidays over the next term being cancelled as well as holidays over the Christmas period also being cancelled to make up the shortfall . Or were those ideas scotched as soon as they were mentioned.
So basically after returning, almost permanent school until March next year.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6921
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: school fees

Post by tamada » August 16, 2020, 4:57 pm

^ Good point well made KP. The normal school terms are a challenge for schools to fit their classes around and still meet government minimums. I do recall the concatenated year with shortened mid-term breaks being floated but like yourself, I haven't seen anything official anywhere.

dragonz
udonmap.com
Posts: 426
Joined: October 24, 2017, 8:29 am

Re: school fees

Post by dragonz » August 17, 2020, 5:50 pm

AlexO wrote:
August 16, 2020, 6:37 am
dragonz wrote:
August 15, 2020, 11:15 am
AlexO wrote:
August 14, 2020, 8:52 am
dragonz wrote:
August 13, 2020, 8:57 am
The school was shut for 3 months and when i went passed the gates were locked . they still get the government money so no real excuse for charging for a full year .
If you were a regular at a bar and it shut for 3 months when it reopened you would not expect to pay for the drinks you never had even if they kept their staff on.
I can pay the money but a lot of thai parents who could not work during the crisis will struggle . My boys mother and her partner worked in a factory in bkk which was shut so they had to come home with no job so they cannot pay anything.
I think it is dam cheek to ask for a full years money
Don't think anyone is really happy about it, but what would you think if instead of paying rent and staff costs for 3 months with no income your bar decided just to close permanently. A lose /lose situation. Easy solution, go to the school demand a refund or you will remove your lad from the school permanently. Let us know how you get on.
Another one on here that has to give abuse for no reason . It is easy for me to move my boy from the school but not easy for him but of course that would not enter your head would it being another udon map unfeeling member . I do not think any other business in the world charges for what they have not received . So you would pay for the 3 months drinks you never had to save the bar closing . Not much intellect there is it . Easy to find another bar but to move my boy at 11 yr from a school and friends he has been to since 4 yr old is not so easy . Better you start to use your brain instead of leaving it go to waste.
Do you pay for flight u never had or hotels you never booked or pay workers who never worked . OF COURSE NOT !! This school still received government money and teachers still got paid while hotels factories and bars got nothing .
I really fail to see where the abuse is Dragonz, and unfeeling? In previous posts I have expressed sympathy for your plight but have also pointed out the realities of the situation. Okay, dont threaten to remove your son from school but still go and express your concerns at having to pay for tuition that did not happen. Let us know what happened. I am sure my brain was not wasted until I posted on this thread.
Sorry but this upset me a bit and your flippant remark just take your boy out of the school and do not pay was as bad as if you do not like something in thailand just leave you are a guest , one of the most obnoxious remarks on any thai forum . I will go to the school and tell them i am not happy and now next year will not send my other adopted boy who will be 5 to their school . I will look elsewhere . I just wanted to have a but of advice and some info if other schools where doing this.
It is my boy last year . They do not give any info to parents who they treat like dogs as most thai parents think teachers are V.I.P .Last saturday my boy went to school at 6am and it was shut . I drive 30kms to pick him up and there were dozens of kids there for school.
I do not know about the holidays in october but i know in november i will have to pay another 14,600 baht

dunroaming
udonmap.com
Posts: 1397
Joined: July 14, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: school fees

Post by dunroaming » August 18, 2020, 1:02 am

dragonz wrote:
August 17, 2020, 5:50 pm
AlexO wrote:
August 16, 2020, 6:37 am
dragonz wrote:
August 15, 2020, 11:15 am
AlexO wrote:
August 14, 2020, 8:52 am
dragonz wrote:
August 13, 2020, 8:57 am
The school was shut for 3 months and when i went passed the gates were locked . they still get the government money so no real excuse for charging for a full year .
If you were a regular at a bar and it shut for 3 months when it reopened you would not expect to pay for the drinks you never had even if they kept their staff on.
I can pay the money but a lot of thai parents who could not work during the crisis will struggle . My boys mother and her partner worked in a factory in bkk which was shut so they had to come home with no job so they cannot pay anything.
I think it is dam cheek to ask for a full years money
Don't think anyone is really happy about it, but what would you think if instead of paying rent and staff costs for 3 months with no income your bar decided just to close permanently. A lose /lose situation. Easy solution, go to the school demand a refund or you will remove your lad from the school permanently. Let us know how you get on.
Another one on here that has to give abuse for no reason . It is easy for me to move my boy from the school but not easy for him but of course that would not enter your head would it being another udon map unfeeling member . I do not think any other business in the world charges for what they have not received . So you would pay for the 3 months drinks you never had to save the bar closing . Not much intellect there is it . Easy to find another bar but to move my boy at 11 yr from a school and friends he has been to since 4 yr old is not so easy . Better you start to use your brain instead of leaving it go to waste.
Do you pay for flight u never had or hotels you never booked or pay workers who never worked . OF COURSE NOT !! This school still received government money and teachers still got paid while hotels factories and bars got nothing .
I really fail to see where the abuse is Dragonz, and unfeeling? In previous posts I have expressed sympathy for your plight but have also pointed out the realities of the situation. Okay, dont threaten to remove your son from school but still go and express your concerns at having to pay for tuition that did not happen. Let us know what happened. I am sure my brain was not wasted until I posted on this thread.
Sorry but this upset me a bit and your flippant remark just take your boy out of the school and do not pay was as bad as if you do not like something in thailand just leave you are a guest , one of the most obnoxious remarks on any thai forum . I will go to the school and tell them i am not happy and now next year will not send my other adopted boy who will be 5 to their school . I will look elsewhere . I just wanted to have a but of advice and some info if other schools where doing this.
It is my boy last year . They do not give any info to parents who they treat like dogs as most thai parents think teachers are V.I.P .Last saturday my boy went to school at 6am and it was shut . I drive 30kms to pick him up and there were dozens of kids there for school.
I do not know about the holidays in october but i know in november i will have to pay another 14,600 baht
Sorry but I struggle to understand what was wrong with the other parties advise!vyou asked for people's thoughts and advise and now you turn on the people that offer them. The choice is simply yours to make, pay the money you are owed or change school's. Sometimes we don't want to hear what we actually request. What did u expect to receive on here someone that agreed with your thoughts or the truth. Take my words however you chose to buy don't reply stating I'm wrong as I have no vested interest!

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”