Questions: Traveling to Australia

General Udon Thani topics only!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Questions: Traveling to Australia

Post by semperfiguy » January 26, 2021, 2:11 pm

I'm asking for a friend who lives in Sri Chiang Mai and is recovering from heart surgery , but now he wants to return to Australia and he doesn't know the requirements for travel. He has tried to call the Australian Embassy in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and there is no answer. Can anyone shed some light on the requirements to enter Australia now as well as available flight information? Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Questions: Traveling to Australia

Post by Whistler » January 26, 2021, 2:42 pm

It's Australia day today so the Embassy is closed.

There are very strict limits on people returning to Australia from Thailand, only a handful every two weeks. Air fares can be steep. in addition, somebody with a heart condition should get medical advice before taking that long journey.

Having said that, Australian Authorities are able to make exceptions, the form required is on the Embassy's web site. Your friend will need a letter from his doctor stating his circumstances, supporting a transfer back to Australia on compassionate grounds. Penny Wong, is shadow minister for immigration can also lobby on your friends behalf. Penny's email is [email protected].

Frankly, the Australian government polices on returning Australians are very strict, if the request is refused, I would suggest contacting Penny
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 26, 2021, 3:27 pm

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 26, 2021, 3:30 pm

If he is an Australian citizen he is entitled to enter Australia.

He will need to do 14 days hotel quarantine at his own cost - which varies depending on his entry city. He will also need to complete a negative COVID test prior to travel.

There is a lot of information on the Embassy website here https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/home.html and the Embassy Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/australiainthailand

There is a mixture of government organised repatriation flights (direct, on Thai Air - see Embassy website), plus restricted commercial flights eg I travelled at the beginning of December on a combined Singapore Air (Bangkok to Singapore) and Scoot (Singapore to Perth) ticket.

Sing Air is travelling to all capitals cities, with transit in Singapore. However, availability is very limited, with nothing apparently available till late March or April, and fares are quite expensive.

Also from the Embassy website:
Thai Airways is facilitating flights from Bangkok to Sydney every Sunday until the end of March 2021. These flights will depart at 17:50 in the evening on Sundays and will arrive in Sydney at 07:10 the following Monday morning.

Due to caps on the number of passengers coming into Australian airports, passenger numbers on Thai Airways facilitated flights are also extremely limited. Please ensure you are registered with the Embassy to receive further details on the price and how to register interest.
Good luck.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 26, 2021, 4:07 pm

jackspratt wrote:
January 26, 2021, 3:30 pm
If he is an Australian citizen he is entitled to enter Australia.

He will need to do 14 days hotel quarantine at his own cost - which varies depending on his entry city. He will also need to complete a negative COVID test prior to travel.

There is a lot of information on the Embassy website here https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/home.html and the Embassy Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/australiainthailand

There is a mixture of government organised repatriation flights (direct, on Thai Air - see Embassy website), plus restricted commercial flights eg I travelled at the beginning of December on a combined Singapore Air (Bangkok to Singapore) and Scoot (Singapore to Perth) ticket.

Sing Air is travelling to all capitals cities, with transit in Singapore. However, availability is very limited, with nothing apparently available till late March or April, and fares are quite expensive.

Also from the Embassy website:
Thai Airways is facilitating flights from Bangkok to Sydney every Sunday until the end of March 2021. These flights will depart at 17:50 in the evening on Sundays and will arrive in Sydney at 07:10 the following Monday morning.

Due to caps on the number of passengers coming into Australian airports, passenger numbers on Thai Airways facilitated flights are also extremely limited. Please ensure you are registered with the Embassy to receive further details on the price and how to register interest.
Good luck.
Jack,

You are right, but the limits on returning Aussies from Australia was recently cut in half again, I think we are down to 32 people every 2 weeks.

As for Quarantine. Cost is $3000 AUS, billed thirty days after quarantine is finished. There are two options available, one is hardship and the other is compassionate. With the first option the fee is waived, with the second you can self quarantine.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » January 26, 2021, 4:26 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
January 26, 2021, 2:11 pm
I'm asking for a friend who lives in Sri Chiang Mai and is recovering from heart surgery , but now he wants to return to Australia and he doesn't know the requirements for travel. He has tried to call the Australian Embassy in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and there is no answer. Can anyone shed some light on the requirements to enter Australia now as well as available flight information? Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Hi semperfiguy

If the Australia Embassy in Thailand is anything like the one over here, they will not answer/take calls after 11.45 am. If buy chance, you can manage to get through on the phone to them. Best bet try phoning them, prior to 12.00 noon

Again, I don't know what the Australian Embassy Consular rules are, in Bangkok, but I need to make a pre-planned appointment with the Australian Embassy 10 days in advance (over here) to physically meet with an Australian Consular Representative.

All Appointments here are all done on line, through SMARTRAVELER /DFAT, I just can't walk in. Maybe it is a different procedure in Bangkok :-k :-k :-$

SMATRAVELLER: These are LINK is to SMARTRAVELER, which is a part of the Australian Government system of information for Australian Travelers.

Opening Page: https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

Returning to Australia Page: https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/covid- ... -australia

This page may assist as it take you direct to ‘Returning to Australia. There are some questions and answers on it

Coming to Australia Page: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/coming-australia

\:D/ Below is the Information in the second SMARTRAVELER LINK, \:D/

You cannot come to Australia unless you’re an Australian citizen, permanent resident or in an exempt category. The Department of Home Affairs looks after this entry ban. Check its Coming to Australia page for more information, including details on exemptions to the ban.

\:D/ BEFORE YOU TRAVEL TO AUSTRALIA \:D/

Pre-departure COVID-19 testing :-k Following the decision by National Cabinet (8 January 2021) and announcement from the Prime Minister, if you’re travelling to Australia, on or after 22 January 2021, you must provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 (PCR) test to your airline when checking in for your flight at the departure point.

• You must be tested 72 hours or less prior to departure and present a negative result when checking in prior to boarding your flight.
• If you transit through a third country on your return journey to Australia, you should check on any local requirements at your transit destination and confirm with your airline any specific requirements for onward travel.
• If you or a member of your travelling group tests positive, you won’t be allowed to travel to Australia.
• Masks must be worn on all international flights, including at airports.
• Follow the advice of local authorities on social distancing and mask wearing while in transit.

Exemptions :confused: Exemptions from the pre-departure testing requirements:

• children who are four years of age or younger at the time of check-in
• people that present a medical certificate which indicates that due to a medical condition they are unable to undergo a COVID-19 PCR test
• international air crew
• travellers departing from a designated ‘green zone’ country
• people travelling from countries where COVID-19 (PCR) testing is not reasonably available (exemptions for this purpose will be determined by Australia’s Director of Human Biosecurity).

Questions: :confused: Frequently asked questions on these new measures, including further information on exemptions and exempt countries, can be found on the Department of Health website.
You should contact your airline on the requirements for your specific flight. Local authorities may have additional requirements in place for departures.
Anyone who has a negative test result and enters Australia, must still complete mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities in your port of arrival.

Read more:
• Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for international travelers (Department of Health)
• Frequently asked questions – international airlines operating to Australia (Department of Health)
• Statement on safe air travel – enhancing end-to-end mitigations – international. Australian Health Protection

Principal Committee (AHPPC)
• Coming to Australia Department of Home Affairs

Australia Travel Declaration :-k You should complete the Australia Travel Declaration at least 72 hours before your departure for Australia. The Declaration collects your information to help the Australian Government determine your quarantine arrangements (if required) and also allows the relevant health departments to contact you if someone you travelled with tests positive for COVID-19.

Mandatory quarantine :-k When you arrive in Australia, you must quarantine for 14 days at designated facilities in your port of arrival – unless you have an exemption. At this time, vaccination against COVID-19 or a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding your flight does not change this quarantine requirement.

• You won't be permitted to travel domestically (including to your home) or continue on any domestic connections until you have completed the 14-day mandatory quarantine period.
• In some states and territories, you have to contribute to the cost of quarantine.
• Under the Biosecurity Act 2015 and applicable state legislation, you’ll have to remain in the allocated accommodation until you’re medically cleared to enter the Australian community. You may have to be tested for COVID-19 during your quarantine period. If you don’t agree to be tested, you may have to quarantine for longer.
• The quarantine requirements are managed and enforced by state and territory governments with Australian Government support.
• Quarantine is an unfamiliar experience for most people and can be challenging. The Department of Health website provides a guide on getting ready for quarantine, including what to expect, what to do before you depart and how to manage your time in quarantine.

:confused: CONTACT FROM OVERSEAS :pirate:
1. 1300 555 135 within Australia, - Its often difficult to get through on any 1300 number, as you are outside Australia, so try the +61 number below or use the second one to send a message.
2. +61 2 6261 3305 (phone) or +61 421 269 080 (SMS) from anywhere in the world

Good luck

Regards

Pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on January 26, 2021, 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 26, 2021, 4:55 pm

Thanks to all of you who responded! I think the info you have provided is complete enough, so I will pass along the info. I genuinely appreciate all your help!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 27, 2021, 6:41 am

New test needed?
People being asked to supply

STV application in process and have been asked to provide the attached medical form duly completed,
-Leprosy
-Elephantitis
-TB
-Drug Addiction
-Syphilis

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2021, 7:15 am

Doodoo wrote:
January 27, 2021, 6:41 am
New test needed?
People being asked to supply

STV application in process and have been asked to provide the attached medical form duly completed,
-Leprosy
-Elephantitis
-TB
-Drug Addiction
-Syphilis
No new test is required for travel to Australia, besides the COVID test highlighted above.

The medical form you refer to is for travel to Thailand.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2021, 7:32 am

Whistler wrote:
January 26, 2021, 4:07 pm
Jack,

You are right, but the limits on returning Aussies from Australia was recently cut in half again, I think we are down to 32 people every 2 weeks.

As for Quarantine. Cost is $3000 AUS, billed thirty days after quarantine is finished. There are two options available, one is hardship and the other is compassionate. With the first option the fee is waived, with the second you can self quarantine.
Arrival numbers are as follows:
New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia have halved their weekly arrivals limit to a total of 2,517 passengers per week. South Australia remains pegged at 490, while Victoria continues to operate at less than half of its capacity, with some 1,120 arrivals per week.

Morrison has said the previous weekly arrivals limits will be reinstated on February 15.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... l-arrivals
The cost of hotel quarantine varies according to which city you arrive ie it depends on the state government of that state.

For Perth the quoted cost was $180/night = $2520. I checked out on 19 December, and have yet to receive an invoice, which should be paid within 30 days of receipt.

That fee may be waived in cases of demonstrated financial hardship. There is no exemption for compassionate cases, and there is no provision for self quarantine.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 27, 2021, 8:31 am

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-a ... travellers

This document states there can be exceptions on medical grounds

'Compassionate or medical grounds
Submit applications for a quarantine exemption on medical or compassionate grounds to the relevant state or territory. They will consider requests on a case by case basis.'

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2021, 12:14 pm

^ Not that I can see, in the case of WA.

https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/depa ... -travel-wa

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 27, 2021, 1:38 pm

Conflicting Info Jack. this link shows the G2G now app that can be used for self quarantine, if travelling to WA, worth calling the WA department of health to clarify. Your link has this information

G2G Now helps to reduce the load on WA Police resources and allows travellers to play their part in keeping Western Australia safe. Interstate arrivals who are required to self-quarantine are encouraged to download the G2G Now mobile application ahead of travel.

G2G Now is a voluntary application that allows travellers to prove they are staying at their authorised quarantine address during their quarantine period. The app enables them to take a photo each time a check-in request is sent by WA Police.

To use the app, travellers need to simply download it and log in using their G2G PASS account details. If travellers do not use the app, they will be subject to in-person visits from police officers.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2021, 5:58 pm

I am pretty sure that only applies to interstate travellers - not those from overseas.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 27, 2021, 8:09 pm

Jack. I don't know. You maybe right, but worth a telephone call.

Hatari

Post by Hatari » February 2, 2021, 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info Jack can you keep us updated on the process of leaving Oz and returning to Thailand as I understand it is somewhat difficult to leave the country depending on who you are of course.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » February 3, 2021, 6:12 am

Hatari wrote:
February 2, 2021, 8:10 pm
Thanks for the info Jack can you keep us updated on the process of leaving Oz and returning to Thailand as I understand it is somewhat difficult to leave the country depending on who you are of course.
Go to the website link below, place country in the search box and go........

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/?gclid ... gI_bfD_BwE

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 3, 2021, 2:59 pm

Hatari wrote:
February 2, 2021, 8:10 pm
I left Perth on Sunday 31 Jan, after finalising my paperwork by receiving a negative COVID test report (sample taken Friday 29 Jan), and Fit to Fly letter from a walk-in doctor on Saturday.

As my flight was due to leave at 4.35pm, there were some moments of mild panic when the WA state premier came on TV at about 12.30pm, to announce a lockdown due to a recently discovered community transmission.

From here on in, it was face masks on for the entire journey.

At the airport I was greeted by Border Force officers prior to check-in. They were looking at my exemption to leave Oz category, as "ordinarily resident overseas". Even though the Border Force website says the exemption is automatic, they looked closely at my passport, and then ran my details through their records.

Then to check-in at Singapore Airlines. They checked all documents with a fine tooth comb, and rang Border Force to confirm I had the just granted exemption. Normal procedure after boarding passes were issued for Perth/Singapore and Singapore/Bangkok ie through the departure gate, and then security. Total time from arrival at the terminal to sitting down in the departure lounge was probably 30 minutes.

Outward duty free was open, with offers of 50% off whisky. As I had already ordered online through the Krisflyer shop, I didn't explore this any further.

The plane (Boeing 787-10) had approximately 30 -40 pax - of a capacity of nearly 300 - so plenty of space. And no problem to drink to my heart's content, in anticipation of the impending 14 day booze-free hotel quarantine ahead of me.

Arrival at Changi airport was uneventful, with just a temperature check being done. As my flight originated from Oz, I had the freedom to walk around the terminals, whereas transit arrivals from most other countries are placed into restricted holding areas to await their next flight.

Departure from Singapore 11 hours later was also uneventful - another 787 (Scoot), this time with about 10 pax.

Strict procedures at Swampy when we arrived. Herded into a holding area, where all documents where again scrutinized, and then a cursory medical check and questions about symptoms. Immigration was far more rigorous than usual, although I don't know if this was because of COVID, or I had a particularly officious IO. Picked up my bags, and there were no Customs Officers in sight as I walked out.

Total time from landing to exiting the arrivals hall was probably about 40 minutes.

I was escorted to a waiting mini-bus for the drive to my ASQ hotel. The bus had a clear plastic shield between me and the PPE equipped driver - who I might say was a total fuucking idiot, being on the mobile phone almost the entire trip to the hotel.

A bit of a procedure to check into the hotel, but here I am now, 3 days gone, and 13 nights to go. While they emphasise strictly no alcohol, the hotel did not check my bags, which contained a 4 litre cask of wine, and 1 litre bottle of whisky. Both will remain unopened until I get back to Ban Dung.

Hatari

Post by Hatari » February 3, 2021, 10:01 pm

Thanks for the very thorough report.I did not know about the " ordinary resident overseas " exemption for leaving Oz but after reading your report I did find it on the Oz embassy website and I certainly would qualify for that so thanks again,much appreciated.
Cheers

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 4, 2021, 7:42 am

Jack, did you have to go to the Thai Consulate and get an invitation to return to Thailand?
..... which contained a 4 litre cask of wine, and 1 litre bottle of whisky. Both will remain unopened until I get back to Ban Dung.
BTW:- Your a stronger man than I! 5555
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”