Kut ling ngaw Reservoir Dry?

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Kut ling ngaw Reservoir Dry?

Post by parrot » September 6, 2021, 2:21 pm

Anyone live in the Kut Ling Ngaw (กุดลิงง้อ) area? We live a few km up the road toward Nongwahsaw......used to frequent the reservoir area on lazy days just taking short rides. But the reservoir now appears to be almost completely dry. A few years ago it looked like efforts to develop the reservoir to support the farmers in the area and maybe provide some place of recreation near to the city. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened?

TicToc
udonmap.com

Re: Kut ling ngaw Reservoir Dry?

Post by TicToc » September 6, 2021, 3:38 pm

Kut Ling Ngor cant be dry as the canal has been running quite a bit lately. Have not been to look recently,maybe the top end near the Nong Saeng road might be low.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » October 10, 2021, 12:46 am

I rather doubt that any reservoir in the area is dry now after the widespread rainfall we had a couple of weeks ago. My newly completed 23,000 litre rainwater storage facility at home is overflowing. There was severe flooding in Chaiyaphum and to the south of Khon Kaen. On our drive from Udon to BKK today, we had to divert because of deep flooding south of KK - the place is full of generators and pumps, boats etc. and over the next couple of hours we passed several convoys of vehicles heading north to the area to assist. Given that there are tens of thousands of hectares still underwater, it is likely to be quite a while before roads are back to normal.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 10, 2021, 7:42 pm

Ubol Rat Dam is showing 91% full on the Thai Dam level website A number of streams dump into that dam coming north from the flooded areas in southern KK Province and Chaiyaphu Province. Huai Luang dam here in Udon 58%...

http://www.thaiwater.net/water
Dave

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » October 14, 2021, 10:41 am

I live near the reservoir, plenty of water in it, but there is a huge amount of "green" growth on top, it kinda blends in with land and appears to be "dry" They tried clearing the weeds couple of years back, but they came back, they appear to have given up on fruitless costly exercise - for now...

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 15, 2021, 10:14 am

None of the EGAT dams are dry, 2 are low 2 are extremely high
EE35A3F8-4D86-4815-8490-6B9C022199C4.jpeg
4287507B-3AE9-42D9-B83C-F5EEECD3ADF2.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 15, 2021, 10:30 am

That green growth explains it. Looks like a thick mass of 'growth'!

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » October 15, 2021, 11:40 am

^ Its pretty dense, couple of years back they spent millions of Baht hauled thousands of truckloads out, had two big backhoes working, looked ok for a brief period, all grown back now - more dense! Sure they will be trying to get more money from "government" to try again as no doubt some of the money allocated lined the correct pockets.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 15, 2021, 12:11 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
October 10, 2021, 12:46 am
I rather doubt that any reservoir in the area is dry now after the widespread rainfall we had a couple of weeks ago. My newly completed 23,000 litre rainwater storage facility at home is overflowing. There was severe flooding in Chaiyaphum and to the south of Khon Kaen. On our drive from Udon to BKK today, we had to divert because of deep flooding south of KK - the place is full of generators and pumps, boats etc. and over the next couple of hours we passed several convoys of vehicles heading north to the area to assist. Given that there are tens of thousands of hectares still underwater, it is likely to be quite a while before roads are back to normal.
A lot of the rain and flooding has been fairly localised. We live around 50 klicks east from Udon City and our ponds are at least 150cm less full than they were in 2019. Lots of rice farmers around this area who depend on rain only have lost their crops for the second year running. Because the land around us is pancake flat even the heaviest rain clouds seem to pass over us.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » October 16, 2021, 1:23 pm

^ Yes, very localized - surprisingly so, reminds me of Singapore weather at times, the Kut Ling Nor area has had very little rain overall the last two years, lot of drizzle but very little "volume" I use my pool as a gauge, not had to pump water out for two years now, watched the radar many times when the rain has bypassed us - yet again. August was silly hot here and near bone dry 30 + years in Thailand never seen an August like it, was more like April.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » October 31, 2021, 1:59 pm

We are on Hwy 2021 (the year of ..) on the way to Ban Phue. Click on the pic
Udonmap 2.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 31, 2021, 2:08 pm

"We are on Hwy 2021 (the year of ..) on the way to Ban Phue. Click on the pic"

Same same at kilo 18 vicinity and with our friends in the Nonghan area. Enough rain and no serious washouts. Should be a good rice crop.

As for Kut Ling Ngaw.....I don't think the 'reservoir' was ever very deep, but when I saw it 10ish years ago, the place was covered with water and looked inviting. Not so much now with major weed invasion.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » October 31, 2021, 4:28 pm

Kut Ling Nor not very deep, couple of meters for the most part, deeper in a few areas. The clear and pristine waters should return next year, informed by a "reliable person" that major cleanup will begin next year as they will have central government funding, time to line a few more pockets. :D

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”