is it a Scam?

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

Re: is it a Scam?

Post by maaka » November 30, 2021, 2:11 pm

Thanks Sam,

yes the second bank I had this problem with, ( the first couldnt understand me ) said the insurance was only for farang, and not Thai's..which was interesting. Guess alot of Thai's dont have a spare 5000bt to fritter away on insurance.

Tried a third bank now in Centra, and even though I had the paperwork , immigration letter, house book, missus ID, they still want the missus to appear in person when she free next weekend..will see then if they want insurance as well.

I already have ruddy insurance, thats what gets me. but that didnt seem to matter. it was accident insurance and not insurance to protect your savings if the bank went under. or some such thing,,

if a customer already has insurance then the bank assistant should just say OK, and move on to opening an account, and at least make some money off your money in your new account, but this is Thailand right, where Up is down, and down is Up,,

I have found it easier to acquire land, than open a bank account here in Thailand.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 30, 2021, 3:44 pm

Can I ask why are you persisting with the effin Bangkok Bank?
There are others, KasikornBank have been nothing but very good from my experience going back to 2001. Back then they could not set up an internet access for me but did so automatically in 2003 when their English version was kick started.

The only person who has tried to sell Mrs Dero insurance in the girl with the teeth braces in immigration during a visa extension 555555.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 30, 2021, 3:57 pm

I support what Dero says, maaka.

I have been with KBank since I moved here, and while they haven't always been as efficient as I have experienced from Oz banks, they have always been accommodating.

Their new and updated phone app is a joy to behold.

I also gave some help to another Australian in Ban Dung with his banking. He was with SCB (SIAM Commercial), and they seemed to be fine based on my interactions.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 30, 2021, 4:15 pm

My advice for anyone wanting to open a new bank account:
Either bring a partner who can speak Thai or print out the below: If you bring a partner, let the partner know that you already have insurance and have no desire to buy new insurance......no ifsandsorbutts

ผมมีประกันอยู่แล้ว ไม่ต้องการประกันเพิ่มเติม ผมต้องการเปิดบัญชีใหม่เท่านั้น

I'm primarily an SCB account holder. Their online app is easy to use, was a blessing while marooned in the US for 13 months, and I feel as safe/secure using their app as I do with any US-based banking app. I've also transferred money from my SCB account to my US checking account via the app.....cost a mere 88 Baht (although that may be a temporary promotion) I only wish I could transfer money as easily from the US to my SCB account!

As for a scam, it's the typical way of banks doing business here as evidenced by many many Thais asking the same questions about insurance sales at banks:
Just a few:
https://pantip.com/topic/40369845
https://news.trueid.net/detail/PDKKKd1WQNpD
https://pantip.com/topic/33341376

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 30, 2021, 4:30 pm

"Can I ask why are you persisting with the effin Bangkok Bank?"

well in my case it's because i've had an account with them for over 20 years (first opened one in London), it's the bank that has 3 x ATM locations within 2 km of my home, so when one is faulty/empty it's not too much hastle to drive to the next one. I also find it not too much trouble to say no thanks when offered insurance, and not a major inconvenience to "save face" for the counter staff on the rare times I need to go into the bank, take the leaflet and put it in their garbage bin on my way out.
I also don't like having to change numerous standing orders/bills etc, with the worry that would entail.
I have had the same UK bank account for 47 years now (opened when my employers stopped paying in cash every Friday)

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 1, 2021, 12:26 pm

cant rightly say why I persist with BKK Bank. Indeed, why does one go to the BKK hospital, and not the Udon Hospital..
we are creatures of habit nei. Maybe its just because I am a most persistent bugger, or perhaps because of the internet banking side of things, and I had so little info on other banks, except the missus's bank didnt have internet, but now you fella's are coughing more jewels of information about your own banks, with apps and all no less, mayhaps I will swing a different way..would you rather I talk about covid, or whats on the menu at the Greasy Spoon...

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 5, 2021, 12:45 pm

WE HAVE LIFT OFF HOUSTON...
Finally secured a BBK bank account, ATM card, bank book, internet banking and mobile banking in Centra Plaza , and the senior teller who speaks abit of the lingo, saw me right, but not without its hiccups. No insurance was forthcoming, but my own cheap phone had to be upgraded to a newer cheap phone, so as to access mobile banking..much to the merriment of my partner, who said it didnt matter what path I took, I was going to be parted with some moola, but hey, I was still cheaper than the insurance lark. now I just got to learn how to work one of these phones so I can activate my new account..ruddy bushman I tell ya..who needs a phone in the bush..anyway good luck to the next fella..

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 5, 2021, 2:50 pm

I hear some people even want their phones to be able to take pictures maaka ......... I know according to Telly Savalas " "a picture speaks a thousand words" but really?

nutosf
udonmap.com

Post by nutosf » December 9, 2021, 5:19 am

Within the past 2 years, I've opened 2 accounts with BKK in Ban Phue. Always had wife with me. I could of had any Thai person who would guarantee I was me. Never asked about insurance. I found staff very helpful.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 10, 2021, 9:24 am

SCB has never tried to sell me insurance. My Thai wife does have some sort of insurance policy with them. Since my SCB branch is small, I go to a much larger SCB to get my annual letter for immigration. Asking for the letter from the small branch leads to confused looks.

Sam1925
udonmap.com

Post by Sam1925 » December 11, 2021, 5:49 pm

He just wanted some tea money. This is Thailand. Get used to it.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”