is it a Scam?

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

is it a Scam?

Post by maaka » November 19, 2021, 2:27 pm

I went to the Bangkok Bank to day to open an account for Non O purposes. Sat one hour only to be told my partner needed to be there even though we photocopied ID and house book..Went back afew hours later with missus in toe and waited another hour, only to be told first off that I needed accident insurance. I said I have health insurance $100000US for visa and entry to Thailand..It then changed to insurance , relationship insurance with the bank, 5000bt..one year one time..I was confused and the missus is not up on such matters, so I said I will take back my passport and come back another day after I think about it, and I no have 5000bt in my pocket to give you now...oh you can pay later, and pay one year and thats it, no pay again..I left, but is it normal for Bangkok Bank to want insurance of 5000bt per year, or a scam..

747man
udonmap.com

Re: is it a Scam?

Post by 747man » November 19, 2021, 2:35 pm

Maaka, The Bangkok Bank NEVER Asked me for ANY Insurance when I Opened my last account with them,Just House Book,Passport,& Yellow Book....Never even had The Mrs With Me.....This was in Nong Khai...

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 19, 2021, 2:48 pm

Head off to another Bank and ask

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » November 19, 2021, 2:55 pm

It is a scam - no insurance or any other products need to taken - if you managed to get the name of the person telling you that report them to the bank's H.O.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 19, 2021, 3:11 pm

It's not unusual for the banks here to try to sell you insurance......they've been doing that for years. In most cases, you simply tell them you already have insurance. If they press the issue, find another bank. SCB does it for me.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 19, 2021, 3:15 pm

maaka wrote:
November 19, 2021, 2:27 pm
I went to the Bangkok Bank to day to open an account for Non O purposes. Sat one hour only to be told my partner needed to be there even though we photocopied ID and house book..Went back afew hours later with missus in toe and waited another hour, only to be told first off that I needed accident insurance. I said I have health insurance $100000US for visa and entry to Thailand..It then changed to insurance , relationship insurance with the bank, 5000bt..one year one time..I was confused and the missus is not up on such matters, so I said I will take back my passport and come back another day after I think about it, and I no have 5000bt in my pocket to give you now...oh you can pay later, and pay one year and thats it, no pay again..I left, but is it normal for Bangkok Bank to want insurance of 5000bt per year, or a scam..
Try KASIKORN Bank, in Central.

Years back, I walked out of Bangkok Bank after they demanded I get a certain letter from the Thai Immigration Department. Then walked to the KASKION Branch in Central (no letter needed) and opened an Account, within one hour

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 19, 2021, 3:31 pm

Thanks guys for the comments...it was the Manager.
Told them I had 3 million bt Thai health/ accident insurance,
missus asked if thai pay for insurance, no for farang only , as a relationship with the bank..whether he mean the bank in relationship with insurance company, dont know,
missus said later it was in case I have car accident, she said he ride a motorbike, they say that no good, need their bank insurance..no insurance, no account..
missus reckoned it was a scam..they sell insurance and get part of the 5000bt, or look good to the bosses if can sign up one farang a month, sort of thing.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » November 19, 2021, 3:40 pm

marcus1 wrote:
November 17, 2021, 10:42 pm
That's what I said sometimewoodworker..
Bangkok bank is best for income renewal...
No need to repeat...!!!
Oh well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » November 20, 2021, 7:15 am

It's a scam! The Bangkok Bank near the 2nd circle tried to pull this scam on me a few years back when I wanted to open a safety deposit box. Surely these employees are just trying to make an extra commission, and I wonder if management is aware of their ploys. Perhaps they are in on the ripoff as well. I recommend seeing Pia in the international department at Bangkok Bank on Phosri Road just west of Udon Immigration. Never had a problem in that branch.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 20, 2021, 10:04 am

Thanks Semi. Yup, this was an out of town branch. The missus tells me last night that she asked the Manager and sidekick if it was a rule that I had to take out insurance to get an account. To indeed show her the rule, but no they said it not a rule, it just so have ' relationship ' with the bank..Just pay one time..The missus said, how we know that you no take 5000bt every year from his account..shes learning..

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 20, 2021, 10:51 am

The subject of bank employees being 'forced' to try selling insurance is in the news
https://mgronline.com/onlinesection/det ... 0000114303

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 20, 2021, 6:18 pm

interesting Parrot..
well done with the research

Stoeger
udonmap.com

Post by Stoeger » November 22, 2021, 12:10 am

In this case, I would have told this slimeball that I will dial 1155, request that the Thai Tourist Police come visit me and let them talk to the BKK Bank Manager about his scam! Usually, the person causing the problem will back off from their original plan to screw you! Also, makes me happy that "Mr. Chokechai" loses face in front of his staff as well!

Thailand wants to lure tourists back (only the wealthy ones) but, keeps scamming them with inflated taxi rides, double prices in hotels, increased airfare, dishonest bar prices, traffic police shakedowns, immigration bribe requests, etc.! Very poor strategy but, Thailand is not the only country that does it!

Last year, I sent my wife an electronic wire from Navy Federal Credit Union to her BKK Bank account which originated in the Udon Thani branch! At the time, she was a Royal Thai Police Captain at the Tourist Police Headquarters in Samut Prakan (Bangkok)!

When she went to get the funds in a local BKK Branch, the Bank Manager said the funds COULD NOT BE RELEASED because her Thai National ID Card had her "middle inital" but, her police ID Card didn't so they didn't match! He advised that my wife would have to fix the problem back in the Udon Thani Branch! A totally unhelpful person impressed with his nit-noi power after my wife provided the two IDs plus her Thai Passport! Even with her urging, he refused to help her! Of course, my funds sat there "interest-free" for days before my wife was able to get the money!

She had to drive 1,130 kilometers back to Udon roundtrip to fix her minor technicality! My "Jerkmeter" pegged all the way to the right with this guy!

While there are people who like BKK Bank, I am not one of them! Next time you go shopping at the mall, check your receipt! Many times the vender (like Robinsons) processes your credit card through BKK Bank! Normally, they will cheat you on the daily exchange rate over and above other banks plus you will pay another 3-4% on top of that!

The good news is my wife switched to the City Police, was promoted to Major and soon will be located back in Udon Thani where our home is! I am happy that she will get away from all the Bangkok big city BS and hopefully deal with more friendly, reasonable and accommodating Esaan bankers!

Jon H. Stoeger
CDR USN-retired

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 22, 2021, 8:56 am

well said Commander. Spoken like a true Captain of a destroyer.
Me I could have kicked up merry hell, but once someone tries to pull the wool over my eyes, thats me
gone. and anyway, not the sort of Bank Manager I want looking after me, or my miserable money.

It is true however, to think of all the hassles I went thru to get back here, the paperwork, ASQ, COE, visa, with the requirement to show 6mths of bank details, and of course the requirement for 3,000,000bt health /accident /covid insurance, and to boot, on arrival to deposit 800,000bt in a Thai Bank. The Royal Thai Embassy did their part with the visa, and Thai Immigration played their role. Only thing is Thai Banks are to busy trying to sell insurance, even to people who have insurance, that one cannot fulfil the visa requirements by opening an account to be able to transfer the desired 800000bt. I will keep trying other banks, but if the Tourist Visa option improves I will go back to that and stuff the Non O, and helping Thai banks with my funds

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » November 22, 2021, 3:30 pm

Try different branches (or different banks).
This youtuber had exactly the same problem (watch at the 2:00 mark).

UFF DA!

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 22, 2021, 6:50 pm

Well done Jello..seems I am not alone, and it is the way in some parts of the world..Centra here I come

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » November 22, 2021, 7:09 pm

My experience is that bank managers get a lot of heat to push certain programs. Selling insurance is one of them. I did relent ONCE and bought life insurance for my wife because this particular manager was exceptionally friendly and not pushy. Since then there have been a couple determined to sell me more to the point it almost is not friendly anymore. I keep the Imm requirement there because they do the process annually with no problem and because they will let me write checks on my US CU for cash. Without losing that privilege and maintaining sufficient to cover checks I am considering moving the Imm money to Savings Bank. They play the lottery monthly and one is subject to pick up a few baht or a lot, My wife moved her account after telling the story and I get a report, not usually any big amount but more than just drawing interest, if any in the old bank. Savings Bank is a gov't bank.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2021, 5:16 pm

Jello wrote:
November 22, 2021, 3:30 pm
Try different branches (or different banks).
This youtuber had exactly the same problem (watch at the 2:00 mark).

Why would any bank open an account for someone in a singlet?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 24, 2021, 7:22 am

tamada wrote:
November 23, 2021, 5:16 pm

Why would any bank open an account for someone in a singlet?
Some of the worst dressed people are the richest! eg. Gina Rinehart (and her father for that matter).
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » November 29, 2021, 9:43 pm

maaka wrote:
November 19, 2021, 2:27 pm
….but is it normal for Bangkok Bank to want insurance of 5000bt per year, or a scam..
this might be the explanation (behind the scene).
https://aseannow.com/topic/1241290-grou ... NWttg7FXhE

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”