Elephants and zebra crossings

General Udon Thani topics only!
Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Elephants and zebra crossings

Post by Fuzzy Ken » February 19, 2022, 12:31 pm

A recent news article commented that well over 90% of motorists in Bangkok were not stopping at zebra crossings or crosswalks, to allow pedestrians to cross the road. Additionally, since the sad death of the doctor that was killed on a crossing by a speeding motorcyclist, there have been several more accidents, and I think one further death.

I want to contrast this with another recent article concerning the safety of elephants. I understand that warning signs have been erected on highway 1399 in Kanchanaburi. The authorities stated that because there are more than 30 warning signs, only in Thai language, motorists had no excuse but to drive carefully.

I have not been to Bangkok in a number of years, so I would be interested to learn whether there are such clear warning signs for motorists approaching crossings. I’m sure that since it has been done for elephants, it can also be done for the benefit of the general public, and not only in Bangkok.

All about Cambodia at www.fuzzykensblog.com

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Re: Elephants and zebra crossings

Post by Fuzzy Ken » February 21, 2022, 4:48 pm

In this very important road safety matter, what is the situation in Udon Thani city? Are there any warning signs for upcoming crossings? As said, large and clear signs have been erected warning motorists of elephants, but what about likewise education for the possibility of humans crossing roads.

All about Cambodia at: www.fuzzykensblog.com

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 21, 2022, 7:54 pm

Anywhere, it comes down to education and enforcement. In Thailand, I have seen very little evidence of either.

In Ban Dung, the crossings are generally very faded, and 90% of motorists would ignore the legalities. Pro-active policing is unheard of for ~350 days a year, other than the vehicle registration check, and motorcycle helmet, road blocks.

Perhaps they should be renamed as Unicorn crossings.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 21, 2022, 9:16 pm

Fuzzyken wrote:
February 21, 2022, 4:48 pm
In this very important road safety matter, what is the situation in Udon Thani city? Are there any warning signs for upcoming crossings? As said, large and clear signs have been erected warning motorists of elephants, but what about likewise education for the possibility of humans crossing roads.

I noticed they started repainting the crossing paintwork at the 4-way opposite the train station. I think last year they went overboard and copied a Japanese crosswalk that was all over the internet. No evidence of any other deterrent to getting squashed like a bug.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » February 22, 2022, 5:50 am

Fuzzyken wrote:
February 21, 2022, 4:48 pm

I'd say if one cannot see a zebra crossing painted on the road, one should really consider sticking to shanks's pony.
The last thing one needs is more roadside signs.
Amazing how many miss these below..........and they flash continuously during the period shown.
Attachments
Flashing40.jpg

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » February 22, 2022, 6:07 pm

They don't miss them. They ignore them just like every other road sign. The problems will never be corrected unless the Thai police take action. :roll:
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 22, 2022, 7:00 pm

Why do you expect people to take notice of signs?
There is a no entry (one way street) sign outside Udon Christian School effective during school arrive/depart hours. Every evening about 50 plus vehicles completely ignore it and drive the wrong way, usually causing a gridlock that often requires four or five cars to reverse 50 metres to get things moving again. At the end of the street is quite often a traffic cop operating the traffic lights and seeing kids across the main rd, and all he does is call the offending vehicles out when he deems it their turn ...... no ticket and not even a tut tut you shouldnt be doing that sir/madam. If the traffic cops couldnt care less and the parents think its perfectly alright to teach their kids to disobey road signs what hope is there?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 22, 2022, 7:18 pm

As mentioned weeks ago if Thailand wish to save an enormous amount of money , remove every traffic light, every road sign and markings etc Why have them in the first place.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 22, 2022, 7:29 pm

Then there wouldn't be a ready made system of topping up the tea money when needed. If you get everyone used to ignoring something they are more likely to jgnore it when you want to catch them, If people regularly abide by the laws you have to wait far longer to catch someone doing wrong

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 28, 2022, 3:45 pm

Meanwhile, in Pattaya there are crosswalks in the most unlikely places.
Attachments
Pattaya crosswalk.jpg

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 29, 2022, 6:47 am

anything but those horrific speed bumps. everyone & their mum seems to construct them.
privately, on public land/ streets. out of control

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 29, 2022, 7:26 am

We forget about a simple fact, as printed in a Book about Thailand, I read before coming here over 20 yeas ago.
The traffic laws in Thailand are routinely circumnavigated by ALL drivers ( including the enforcement agencies and the military )if they do not agree with them .
There you have it in a nutshell. from removing the rear light on motorcycles to ignoring Traffic lights a pedestrian crossings. .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”