Poached!

General Udon Thani topics only!
rick
udonmap.com

Poached!

Post by rick » April 27, 2022, 7:42 pm

Last 2 days have lost about 20 fish in one of my Aquariums, due to the heat. Air temperature next to the tank has been 38 centigrade Tuesday and 39 Centigrade today. Have been adding ice since late yesterday, but that only works for under an hour. First time i have experienced high levels of deaths from the heat here. Didn't loose any in the tank last year.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Poached!

Post by stattointhailand » April 27, 2022, 8:05 pm

What type of fish? size? marine or freshwater?

I lost 7 or 8 marine fish and lots of corals about 10 years ago during one really hot spell, and decided then that unless I was going to get a proper water cooling system it was just too risky keeping marines in Udon.
Still keep a 12 inch pleco, couple of Rainbows some guppies and a dozen assorted corydorus in one tank and two tubs full of guppies outside

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 27, 2022, 9:13 pm

One Neon Tetra and the rest were guppies. It was the only glass tank currently in use (fairly small). Most of my fish are kept in concrete tanks and plastic ponds, plus a few Thai ceramic lotus pots. In them i have 3 comet goldfish, lots of Rosy barbs, Guppies, a few zebra fish and 2 oscars. Also have some wild gouramis (not certain of the species, but never grow bigger than one inch) which breed in the well weeded ponds. Also One large concrete tank for rearing fingerlings to stock into our commercial ponds, currently it has carp and Taptim in it (plus a few snakeskin gouramis and climbing perch which my M-in-L 'kindly' keeps adding to the small ponds.....
One day i will save enough from the wife's plans to build a small fish room; well i dream that it will happen, maybe need to win lottery first!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 27, 2022, 9:35 pm

Dont think theres too much you can do rick, Add a couple of extra airstones if possible to agitate the water, or try to do a small 5 - 10% water change daily to freshen it up a bit during the hot spell. I've noticed over the years that even if the outside temp stays high for a few weeks the tank temp seems to adjust back down a little after a few days.
Someone said the sun was directly over Thailand for a nanosec either today or sometime this week, so I'm assuming that will have caused a slight rise in temp (and disappearance of shadow)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”