Bread

General Udon Thani topics only!
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Bread

Post by Charlieb » May 5, 2022, 1:46 pm

Anyone know why all stores seem to be out of bread all week?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Bread

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 5, 2022, 2:32 pm

Just come out of BigC, Ban Dung and the shelves were packed with their home made varieties as well as the pre packaged whole meal etc - still warm. ???????
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 5, 2022, 3:29 pm

Charlieb wrote:
May 5, 2022, 1:46 pm
Just come out of Lotus's & Big C in Nong Khai BOTH Shops had LOADS of Bread !!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » May 5, 2022, 3:34 pm

Strange! All of the 7/11 and others on the north side, including Lotus have been out of prepackaged bread all week

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » May 5, 2022, 3:45 pm

Tesco Kutchap had plenty of bread this morning, own brand and Farmhouse.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 5, 2022, 4:01 pm

Makro's shelves packed with all varieties at lunchtime today including Farmhouse wholemeal.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 5, 2022, 4:11 pm

Charlieb wrote:
Russian invasion of Ukraine.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 5, 2022, 6:39 pm

Its a conspiracy Charlie between the Ban Dung Bread Smugglers Association and Udon Scone Producers Group to create panic buying

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 5, 2022, 7:43 pm

I have addressed the current bread crisis/conspiracy by ordering a bread making machine today from Lazada.

Let's see how that works out. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 5, 2022, 7:55 pm

I'm assuming that the machines have improved over time, so you may be ok, but my experiences 40 yrs ago with bread making machines left me with a uncontrollable desire to purchase loafs of cut white bread everytime I went near the shop. Could never get it to rise to an acceptable level and always ended up tasting and with the texture of that dark brown dry heavy bread you get a lot of in Germany .... needed loads of butter and jam just to make it edible

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 5, 2022, 8:49 pm

I quite like the French loaf I make with this machine if I mind the size and browning settings:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... =UTF8&th=1

Nothing beats the smell of the house when programing it to be ready when one arrives home.

It comes with a few caveman recipes (which are mandatory for me). It also makes a fair dinkum pizza ball making two good size bases once it's done in a big ball (timing fairly critical to halve and refrigerate when it beeps).

I must say the loaf I was just given by Anne (Pavel's wife) if that means something to anyone who matters, was fantastic. Please support her if she ever goes semi-commercial with these loafs as well as the pretzel bread and other delectable offerings like the excellent ciabattas, croissants and english muffins (beta version last week were hard to beat). You know who we are talking about CharlieB!

I hear tell she may do fresh bread one day a week some time in the future at one of our local Guinness serving establishments (TIP: West side, begins with Cris's) Here is to hoping. I will keep UM posted here if that day comes...

Dean at Papas has some pretty damn good baguettes, nan bread (also good for pizza bases) and loaves of brown and sometimes white bread. Always worth stopping in there if only to have a looksee for cheesecake, pies, schnitzel, potato salad etc. I know this is less helpful to our east side friends but worth the trip. On on.

I find the Farmhouse and even the S&P wheat bread stuff more of an emergency use only type of offering with the S&P one superior. I'd take the Big-C sourdough one first for sure but its pretty big these days at our local Big-C. (HINT: slice and freeze the number of pieces in likely usable quantities to keep the blue monster away.)
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 6, 2022, 6:03 am

Potamoi wrote:
May 5, 2022, 8:49 pm
I quite like the French loaf I make with this machine if I mind the size and browning settings:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... =UTF8&th=1

Nothing beats the smell of the house when programing it to be ready when one arrives home.

It comes with a few caveman recipes (which are mandatory for me). It also makes a fair dinkum pizza ball making two good size bases once it's done in a big ball (timing fairly critical to halve and refrigerate when it beeps).

I must say the loaf I was just given by Anne (Pavel's wife) if that means something to anyone who matters, was fantastic. Please support her if she ever goes semi-commercial with these loafs as well as the pretzel bread and other delectable offerings like the excellent ciabattas, croissants and english muffins (beta version last week were hard to beat). You know who we are talking about CharlieB!

I hear tell she may do fresh bread one day a week some time in the future at one of our local Guinness serving establishments (TIP: West side, begins with Cris's) Here is to hoping. I will keep UM posted here if that day comes...

Dean at Papas has some pretty damn good baguettes, nan bread (also good for pizza bases) and loaves of brown and sometimes white bread. Always worth stopping in there if only to have a looksee for cheesecake, pies, schnitzel, potato salad etc. I know this is less helpful to our east side friends but worth the trip. On on.

I find the Farmhouse and even the S&P wheat bread stuff more of an emergency use only type of offering with the S&P one superior. I'd take the Big-C sourdough one first for sure but its pretty big these days at our local Big-C. (HINT: slice and freeze the number of pieces in likely usable quantities to keep the blue monster away.)
Sensible for her to try once a week ,the problem with any bread is knowing how much to make. Her best bet would be to have a promotion day so people can try the products and then maybe pre ordered. If you make six loaves but only sell three then its hardly worth it. We can make just about any bread but unless there are customers its pretty pointless. German bakers are some of the best , but lots of them have come and gone as simply not a big enough market in udon, and of course your up against lotusssss, tops and a dozen other commercial bakers. Hard market to crack with so few customers around.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 6, 2022, 7:22 am

I reckon if Anne maintains the "artisanal" bakery approach with a single, west-end outlet, she'll do great. There's already the same style bakery in Romyem so the eastender's are sorted.

If there's any gap in the market, it's for a Hovis style white pan loaf that's still the ORIGINAL size. Even the regular S&P or Farmhouse "911" bread has shrunk in size these days but the slots in toasters haven't. I'm fed up digging pre-shrunk, skinny slices out of the depths of the bloody thing. I'd pay the extra for some proper sized nostalgia.

~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 6, 2022, 7:32 am

why not DIY , as i have been doing , it is not difficult to make bread ....
20200916_132641[1] (Copy).jpg
20190926_125021 (Copy).jpg
20190921_115041 (Copy).jpg
20190104_135005 (Copy).jpg
20181215_124949 (Copy).jpg
20181122_150828 (Copy).jpg
20180803_125751 (Copy).jpg
20180715_144859 (Copy).jpg
20180628_110143 (Copy).jpg
141974784_2859771164300125_844485500561705077_n (Copy).jpg
i do not make a lot bread loafs anymore , but pistolet, small baguettes , sandwiches .....,
easy to freeze and eat later ..enjoy your baking ... ;)
Attachments
DSC01087 (Copy).jpg
20200916_123930[1] (Copy).jpg
c7j8cv2d (Copy).jpg

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 6, 2022, 8:16 am

Nice looking stuff kopkei. You make a compelling argument. Less PC time, more kitchen and oven time. I for one have no excuse.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 6, 2022, 9:31 am

Potamoi wrote:
May 6, 2022, 8:16 am
Nice looking stuff kopkei. You make a compelling argument. Less PC time, more kitchen and oven time. I for one have no excuse.
Looking forward to "JD Bread... coming to a house of dogs near you!"
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 6, 2022, 10:13 am

I have had a bread making machine for over a year now. It works well with the recipes that came with it. The problem is that I'm the only one that eats it so it goes stale after a few days. My dog likes it so the stale bread gets mixed with his regular food. One way I like is to use is the dough only setting. I then roll the dough into a small log, cut it in pieces. roll them each into a ball and bake them in the air fryer.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 6, 2022, 10:27 am

tamada wrote:
May 5, 2022, 4:11 pm
Charlieb wrote:
Russian invasion of Ukraine.
So Those Bloody Ruskies have Eaten ALL Our Bread " Cheeky Barstewards " :lol: :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 6, 2022, 10:30 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 5, 2022, 7:43 pm
I have addressed the current bread crisis/conspiracy by ordering a bread making machine today from Lazada.

Let's see how that works out. :D
Won't be much good,When yer can't buy Flour Mr Pratt.....555 !!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 6, 2022, 10:34 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 5, 2022, 7:55 pm
I'm assuming that the machines have improved over time, so you may be ok, but my experiences 40 yrs ago with bread making machines left me with a uncontrollable desire to purchase loafs of cut white bread everytime I went near the shop. Could never get it to rise to an acceptable level and always ended up tasting and with the texture of that dark brown dry heavy bread you get a lot of in Germany .... needed loads of butter and jam just to make it edible
It's LOAVES Not Loaf's [-X [-X ..... Could never get it to rise to an acceptable level Bet that wasn't the ONLY thing that wouldn't Rise ' Aye ?? :-" :-"

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”