Cost of Living Information - Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
ronan01
udonmap.com

Cost of Living Information - Udon Thani

Post by ronan01 » July 3, 2007, 11:25 am

Hi All - some time back I found a document on this site that listed the "cost of living" (rent, power, groceries, etc) for Udon Thani.

I cannot find it - can anybody help and tell me where it is.

Thanks.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » July 3, 2007, 12:21 pm

I removed it because it was out of date and I haven't had time to update it yet.

David_uk

Post by David_uk » July 3, 2007, 9:18 pm

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 5, 2007, 7:54 am

David UK - Thanks for that

laphanphon

Re: COST OF LIVING INFORMATION - UDON THANI

Post by laphanphon » February 3, 2009, 9:54 pm

Cost of living for January, for myself, partner, kid.
No expensive medical issues, less than 1000 baht a year for myself, same for both Ree and Gem combined. Me and Ree get full medicals every year, less than 10,000 baht, plus teeth clean and check ups and we’ll call it 1000 a month, round up just a bit for surprises, and we need 35,000 baht a month, as total monthly were 33,596 baht. 3 adult appetites, Gem is soon to be 10, and eats adult servings.

Food (out).......................9153
Food (in).........................8692
TTL food.......................17845

House rent.......................5000
Electric...........................1268
Insurance.........................1700
Household........................4190
Misc...............................1763
Petrol..c/580..mb/200...........780
School...............................850
Medical............................1404

Total monthly....................35000

Household items would be cleaner/soaps of all versions, clothes, all non food necessities, some stocked up but a good average, 4000 a month. Misc would be Gem pocket money, ears pierced, some entertainment at complex, dvd rental, cigars, non essentials. But again, 2000 ish is a good monthly average.

The budget does include alcohol expenses (food/out) for the month, 3 trips to Sandwich Shop, and beer expenses of 275/220/385 with 2 cans of Leo while out and about, for 50, total beer budget..930. With Ree as designated driver. Definitely more than usual, since 3 Saturday month w/3 meet ups. Usually once or twice a month, with 3 large an average drinking night for me. An occasional small with lunch, hence those cans of Leo, but usually water with my meals out.

Car and motorbike paid for, rent soon to go down to 4000, but expect the electric to go up for rainy season. Since march 2008, most expensive electric bill was 1650, least 800. Haven’t had to pay for city water yet, but highest bill so far was 375, don’t expect one higher, so again, for ourselves, we need 35,000 a month for a comfortable living. Surely could spend more, or a bit less, but not much either way would change much.

Dining out was 32 occasions, usually myself and Ree do lunch, with exception to meet ups at Sandwich Shop, we usually eat in on weekends. So that works out to normally, about 20 lunches and 10 dinners in restaurants a month. Mostly enclosed, ac, and a few ma and pa shop, but rare. Last month our dining baht went to SaengKaow, Green Leaf, 2 Hearts, Nobi’s, Irish Clock, UP2U, TJ, Sandwich Shop, Relax Place, Pizza Co (take away), MaeYa, and about 4 ma/pa or night market vendors. No surprises there and probably not going to change in the future.

Most expensive meal out was 600/UT, 650/BKK. Least non ma/pa shop, was 170. Most average 300-400 baht. Ma/pa shops, maybe 5 a month, 100 baht range. Nothing extravagant, Green Leaf, Irish Clock, Nobi’s would be our high end dining.

What this doesn’t include is side trip to BKK, for 4 nights, hotel and transportation expenses are not include, but all food and entertainment is, as we would spend about the same no matter where. Possibly, just a tad more in BKK, due to location, and some higher priced munchies, but marginal. Also doesn’t include Ree’s pocket money, which is pretty much the same every month, for her extras, and just to have pocket money if needing something. Her extras, that 10th pair of shoes or bag thing or phone cards, as any necessities are provided in monthly budget. My phone and internet, less than 400 a month is included in misc/household, 2 phone cards, 374 for internet and surely less than 26 calls a month on average.

Hope this helps those thinking about retirement in Udon Thani, and something for those already here to compare to. Insurance is for car and motorbike, no health or medical. Approximately 20 K baht a year for both, school is for St. Mary’s, just shy of 9 K a year. Food is easily 20 % more than last year, most of that increase actually from the market and not the restaurants, which are doing a good job of absorbing many of their own cost. Only one restaurant had a major increase on the menu items, after 8 years, quite understandable, still a value for your baht. Best of luck to all, with our host doing some heaving borrowing themselves now, maybe that exchange rate will start to be favorable.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » February 3, 2009, 10:04 pm

If it helps, in addition to LA's expenses I include these in my monthly budget.

UBC 1,500
Internet. 1,200
Car Ins. 1,420
Car Tax. 500.

Other than that my monthly outgoings are similar, just spent differently,

bugseda
udonmap.com

Post by bugseda » February 3, 2009, 11:19 pm

WoW !!! Those estimates for the living aspect are close to what i am paying also.

Just one other expense I have is the semi monthly (take care/pocket money) for the old lady.

Maybe if I married her I wouldn't have to donate that (take care/pocket money) to her.

You guys are lucky for sure.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » February 3, 2009, 11:34 pm

bugseda wrote:Maybe if I married her I wouldn't have to donate that (take care/pocket money) to her.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not even in your dreams!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: DOUBLE that at least :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » February 4, 2009, 12:49 am

Well guys it seems a hell of a lot cheaper than living in the UK.My family consists of 2 adults 1 15 year old and 1 18 month old.I can spend 100 pounds per week on food alone. This includes Thai food which is very expensive here.Gas and electric here averages at 200 pounds a month. Council tax 150 pounds a month. water 60 pounds a month. Tel sky internet 80 pounds a month

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 4, 2009, 7:06 am

And you are freezing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » February 4, 2009, 1:04 pm

Thanks Laphonphon - very usefull information.

At about 25 baht to the Aussie dollar, 35 000 baht per month works out at A$325 per week - thats pretty cheap as it costs about A$1000 per week to keep my show on the road here (inc $400 pw mortgage).

The message I get from this is that a single man who does not drink too much should have a very very good life in Udon on A$500 PW (about 12 500 Baht per week)

Could not have same thing in Perth for A$500 pw

I am tempted to sell up and retire early, but will stick it out here another couple of years

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » February 4, 2009, 3:08 pm

without owning a car, i could easily live on 20 K baht a month as a single person. a car really isn't necessary. i'm not a heavy drinker, and once here and know your way around, no need to chase women, they will chase you. :D

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » February 4, 2009, 3:29 pm

steveway2 wrote:
I am tempted to sell up and retire early, but will stick it out here another couple of years
Only you can make that decision, but remember you only get one chance on this planet. At least you can make your decisions with the World Economy at what appears to be rock bottom. Some have made the decision in a different economic climate and have had to make big adjustments.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » February 5, 2009, 4:15 am

I would love to move to Thailand with my thai wife and baby and live a peacfull village life,but i don't want to severe ties in the UK,yet i need to finance my stay in Thailand which means selling my assets in UK.Can any ex pat members point me in the right direction through your own experiance's and give me a straight answer into why i should or should'nt make the move.I'm 45 years old married and have an 18 month old son.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » February 5, 2009, 4:20 am

macduff wrote:I would love to move to Thailand with my thai wife and baby and live a peacfull village life,but i don't want to severe ties in the UK,yet i need to finance my stay in Thailand which means selling my assets in UK.Can any ex pat members point me in the right direction through your own experiance's and give me a straight answer into why i should or should'nt make the move.I'm 45 years old married and have an 18 month old son.
I would think that much would depend on your financial condition and ability to weather the markets and exchange rates in this volatile time.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » February 5, 2009, 6:19 am

I would think that much would depend on your Thai wife. :razz: Cooking and eating at home
can certainly save you a bundle. I eat-out a lot for the social aspect and even here, it becomes
a major item on your budget. I get embarrassed when I realize many Thais live on 5-6K / month.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » February 5, 2009, 6:38 am

married and have an 18 month old son
unless struggling with the extra taxes and utility bills, or just can't take the weather anymore, and no deep ties to family or social activities that aren't available here, the only reason i would remain would be better medical, especially if free, and education for little one, as it really doesn't compare to anything here. if making the move, have a nice cushion for 'oops, sh*t happens'.

we were talking about it last night, i have to stay for 8 yrs, but if i decided to go back, thinking about where i would live and the addition cost. only negatives to return would be housing cost and utilities, the only financial advantage for myself being here. if health problems, then i could jump back on medical system there, as not usable here. i was thinking 6 months puerto rico, 6 months philly suburbs. 8)
Cooking and eating at home can certainly save you a bundle. I eat-out a lot for the social aspect
my budget is about 50/50 in/out and thai/farang, though lately, myself leaning more toward farang, and little upgrade on dining, so a bit more than last year or before. tired of sweating and swatting flies. :shock: :D

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » February 5, 2009, 6:46 am

Hope you ain't going anywhere near Upper Darby, right load of skagheads in that locale, beter move out down Springfield way! Ho Ho. Or further to Media.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » February 5, 2009, 6:55 am

Definitely better IMHO opinion to eat and drink more at home,sometimes I wonder why eating out in Udon in farang establishments is so expensive and then having to dodge the dangerous Thai m/b drivers at anytime of the day just adds stress. It only works though if your TW can cook 8)
Spend quality time at home with TW and family if you have kids and save a bundle ;)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » February 5, 2009, 7:14 am

skagheads in that locale
HOLY SH*T, BATMAN, was thinking out just past Reading toward lancaster, away from high rents. saw
Reading in money mag as one of cheapest housing. grew up in Sharon Hill, used to go to the Terminal theater on wednesdays for matinee, 50 cents, was a weekly skip school thing with about 10 of us. and cheap pizza right down the street. media is a quaint little town. need someplace with no decent school, or jobs, so the economy sucks and nobody wants to live there, in the middle of nowhere, like here :lol:

my brother is in springfield, rich b*****d :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”