New Traffic Laws from Sept 5th

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: New Traffic Laws from Sept 5th

Post by tamada » September 24, 2022, 2:35 pm

parrot wrote:
September 24, 2022, 12:17 pm
Having lived here for just shy of 26 years and never being asked for a 'bribe', I'm interested:
Was this a case of being caught dui?
Was there some other more serious traffic violation involved (hitting someone/vehicle), lack of license/insurance, etc?
I've paid my share of traffic violation fines, but also talked my way out of a few as well. Only one time, long ago, did a cop stop me on the highway (no checkpoint) and try to get lunch money. I told him I didn't have money and he waved me by. All my fines have been legit.......and not bribes........so I'm interested in the particulars of this case......if you care to share.
Caught DUI. Allegedly.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 24, 2022, 3:03 pm

Well there is many foreigners who come here and break the traffic laws with impunity as they foolishly think that they can buy their way out of trouble.The totting up will affect all those with Thai licences as well
Sadly that thought process is now soon to be a thing of the past.
Adherence to the NEW laws is no longer a game, the RTP will I am sure step up and prosecute all those who fall foul, in the case of accidents you have to ensure if they test you they also test the other participants as well. . Other matters well there is always, see you in court often does the trick as they do not seem to have proof of their accusations in many cases for example speeding .

The days fo getting into or on your favourite mode of TRANSPORT DRUNK < Maybe no licence or ins, are LONG GONE , so a nod as good as a wink, take care and do not flout the laws. Not only will it be more costly soon but bribes may be viewed differently as well.
Last edited by Khun Paul on September 24, 2022, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 24, 2022, 3:04 pm

I'll guess it meets the technical definition of a bribe.....but given that (probably) no one can prove whether the money went into an individual's pockets or was paid to the station, I prefer to think of this as an on-the-spot reduction in sentence. In other words, guilty as charged and fortunate that the police are so accomodating.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 24, 2022, 5:37 pm

the new laws are all well and good but its been several years since the RTP were supposed to go to an automated ticketing system with NO cash paid at checkpoints. You were supposed to get the ticket and have the option of paying it electronically or even at a 7-11 paypoint.... Didn't happen.. COVID I suppose or... pushback from those who collect the cash...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 24, 2022, 5:45 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
September 24, 2022, 5:37 pm
the new laws are all well and good but its been several years since the RTP were supposed to go to an automated ticketing system with NO cash paid at checkpoints. You were supposed to get the ticket and have the option of paying it electronically or even at a 7-11 paypoint.... Didn't happen.. COVID I suppose or... pushback from those who collect the cash...
I'm satisfied that I get a receipt.....much like you'd get a receipt for a traffic fine paid in court back in the US. While in the US, I never wondered where that money goes.......that said, I never got a ticket in the US. My wife got one speeding ticket......$160, points, and a torturous day in driver's safety class to keep insurance from bumping up. I'll take the Thai way any time

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 25, 2022, 9:07 am

I've gotten two "tickets" over here and only one "receipt" which was scribbled illegibly.. On that occasion I'd gone through a yellow light (the 2 second type) as it was changing to Red at the Nong Sai Intersection on the Ring Road. It was 200 baht paid to the Police Lieutenant manning the folding desk and controlling a zippered bag into which he was stuffing the fines..
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 25, 2022, 10:07 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
September 24, 2022, 5:37 pm
The automated ticketing is for radar speed traps on the motorways as it's minimal evidence, ie. a picture of a number plate and a speed measurement. The provincial highways mostly still rely on the hidden cop with the radar gun and "mistakes" can be argued with the cop if one can be arsed. Regional cities, like KK, may have remotely monitored, auto-ticketing speed zones. Without cameras at a junction, redlight running is a 'manual' intervention as are random alcohol tests because you can't automate that.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 25, 2022, 10:21 am

If you pass a red light at the 3-way Udon-Loei/ringroad intersection, you'll get a ticket in the mail with photographic proof of your transgression......vehicle, license, light all clearly shown. 400 Baht.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 25, 2022, 10:25 am

parrot wrote:
September 25, 2022, 10:21 am
If you pass a red light at the 3-way Udon-Loei/ringroad intersection, you'll get a ticket in the mail with photographic proof of your transgression......vehicle, license, light all clearly shown. 400 Baht.
New or refurbished junctions will probably benefit from such automation. For example, the red light runners on the ring road northbound at Global still get pulled over at the usual place just over the train tracks. Once the ring road upgrade is completed and cameras are fully functional on the overhead gantries, automated ticketing could replace the manual one...unless it's a real money spinner of course.

There's still a long way to go on automating the more rural stuff.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”