Car Vakue

General Udon Thani topics only!
gprit
udonmap.com

Car Vakue

Post by gprit » December 30, 2022, 9:43 pm

Taxing and insuring car for visit next year.
December 2015 Nissan Almera - white, 36,000km. four new tyres, battery, MOT etc. What would it's value be for insurance?
What do they go for these days - excellent condition, looked after.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Car Vakue

Post by tamada » December 30, 2022, 9:58 pm

Get an online quote from roojai. The money-saving options are named driver(s) and repairs at their shop(s).

The insurance companies use algorithms to estimate the vehicles value which is typically lower than the owner's estimates but probably more realistic.

I would be surprised if first class cover is much more than 6000 baht for the year.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » January 3, 2023, 10:17 pm

Am getting a number of quotes....my wife and i disagree on car value(!) what would be a reasonable value to put on such a car?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 3, 2023, 10:48 pm

It doesn't really matter as the insurance companies work to an industry-wide tabulation that doesn't take into account low mileage, good service history or the "one careful owner" status. It's basically make, model and age.

I was able to wrangle a better "write off/replacement" value when a previous vehicle was about two years old. They didn't offer the same "adjustments" the following year though. Your vehicle is facing 8 years. If the first class premiums are too rich for your wife, maybe get a second class coverage quote.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » January 4, 2023, 9:20 am

Regarding the value the car on one2car.com for 2015 / 16 models is from approx. 240k baht to 320k baht depending on specification. Majority seem to be at lower end of this range.

Note this is the advertised selling prices I'm referring to.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » January 6, 2023, 5:34 pm

Thanks for the above - yes, my searches also show around 250,000 baht garage price.
@tamada...certainly a good price for required cover - 5,800 baht. Next battle is ...what are they like to deal with in the event of a claim/problems? I show my wife mostly very good google reviews...she shows me ba reviews in Thai!!
Anyone have experience of dealing with them?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 6, 2023, 8:53 pm

Who's paying the premium?

And who's behind the wheel the most, actually driving?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » January 6, 2023, 9:10 pm

Is that relevant? My wife is the owner and will drive if July/August when she is there.
In the meantime her sister will drive the car - not that often. Both full, clean licences.

...I will be paying the premium!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 6, 2023, 9:13 pm

Welcome to Thailand
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 6, 2023, 9:18 pm

gprit wrote:
January 6, 2023, 9:10 pm
Is that relevant? My wife is the owner and will drive if July/August when she is there.
In the meantime her sister will drive the car - not that often. Both full, clean licences.

If she's the owner, you don't need to have a dog in this fight. If your wife or her relatives don't agree with you, best let them find the insurance and pay for it. Let them find the best deal and the best resolution of claims.

They know better. It's cultural. Don't waste your time or money.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » January 6, 2023, 9:51 pm

tamada wrote:
January 6, 2023, 9:18 pm
gprit wrote:
January 6, 2023, 9:10 pm

If she's the owner, you don't need to have a dog in this fight. If your wife or her relatives don't agree with you, best let them find the insurance and pay for it. Let them find the best deal and the best resolution of claims.

They know better. It's cultural. Don't waste your time or money.

Agree and Disagree with this, depending on the situation.

For me (being a fairly negative person), especially if I'm the person who will be paying the price if thing go wrong....I like to know the scoop, thus I can weigh the cost/benefit/pain level of getting involved.

Now, if they are paying for it and understand if things go wrong it's their problem....they can have at it anyway they want.
Yea, I still like to toss in my 2 cents......just for the potential pleasure of "I told you so!!!"

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 7, 2023, 5:45 am

If things go wrong, it will be your fault. If things go right, but it takes maybe five days instead of a promised three to repair the vehicle, it will also be your fault. I agree it's good to be the one saying, 'I told you so.' It's one of life's sparse pleasures here in Thailand.

There was a debate on another farang forum about roojai's claims performance. Unable to find bad reports, the skeptics focused on the comparative low price as being 'too good to be true' and indicative of 'hiding something' with some suggesting the company was writing most of their own positive reviews. I suggested that after trading for nearly seven years in Thailand with a robust and effective industry ombudsman, the no news is probably good news.

Good luck.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”