Identifying deceased foreigners

General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Identifying deceased foreigners

Post by Whistler » February 24, 2023, 10:49 am

Some strong views on here.

I will leave up to those who hold these with one last question. If the subject of posting a pic came up with a grieving relative and when asked about posting a photo, and they said they would rather not. What would you do?

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 24, 2023, 10:52 am

Whistler wrote:
February 24, 2023, 10:49 am
Some strong views on here.

I will leave up to those who hold these with one last question. If the subject of posting a pic came up with a grieving relative and when asked about posting a photo, and they said they would rather not. What would you do?
Not post it
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 24, 2023, 11:29 am

There is a big difference between "rather not" and flat out refusal. If there was a valid reason for not posting (father with step mother) or the like, then obviously you would not post, however if it was a ban on ALL photos being used, I would suggest to either them or someone very close that they needed help from a grief management consultant or psychiatrist as there were obviosly serious issues that needed attention.
Getting back on topic (posting a photo on Udonmap) I have to agree with KP that I too have been unaware of certain ex farangs deaths due to their real name being used rather than the name everyone knew them by, only to find out weeks/months later. Meeting an ex wife/mate/brother/child of someone and talking as if they were still around (due to not knowing of the death), can be equally as distressing if not more so than seeing a photo of them in an obituary post

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 24, 2023, 11:46 am

I, too, agree with Khun Paul that posting photos of foreigners who have died would be helpful.

He has sent me a number of increasingly acerbic emails criticizing my post with the BBC article about how people in Victorian England often had photos taken of loved ones after they died. He feels that I impermissibly diverted the discussion away from his original post. While I agree that it wasn't directly on point with his original post, it was related, and I thought that it might be of interest to the readers.

What say you, the readers? If you feel that my post was improper, I will remove it and all posts which are not directly on point with Khun Paul's original post.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 24, 2023, 12:05 pm

It's an interesting branch on the main trunk of the topic UM. If we just stuck word for word to the topic there would be very few posts made each day. So long as the main topic is not forgotton, and we return to it from time to time during the thread, wheres the harm in taking a few tangents here and there. If you had not mentioned Victorian Post Mortem photography, I would not have remembered that I meant to look it up months ago, but got sidetracked at the time and forgot
https://allthatsinteresting.com/victorian-death-photos

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 24, 2023, 12:08 pm

Paul, if you are paying any attention to any of KP's posts/PMs, you may be the only forum member to do so.

Let the photos flow.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 24, 2023, 12:44 pm

When you look around, Thailand, Australia and I dare say in other places, pictures of those who have passed away are almost always displayed immediately on TV and in other Media forums.

In Thailand it is common practice, if not their culture to display portraits of those who passed away during their time of mourning. As KP rightly pointed out, we are in Thailand and he was referring to those passing away when in Thailand.

As for the suggestion that some distant relative (one living far away) may have a Form of Right over the photograph of he/she who has passed away, I think some are simply trying to create the appearance of an issue where is is none. Last I heard, pictures of myself belong to me and not distant relatives.

As for objections from distant relatives to the posting of a picture, it is a complete non issue, as the laws of their homeland do not apply in Thailand. People do not grieve or get upset over the sight of a picture, they grieve over the loss of that person.

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on February 26, 2023, 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » February 24, 2023, 12:59 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
February 24, 2023, 12:44 pm
When you look around, Thailand, Australia and I dare say in other places, pictures of those who have passed away are almost always displayed immediately on TV and in other Media forums.

In Thailand it is common practice, if not their culture to display portraits of those who passed away during their time of mourning. As KP rightly pointed out, we are in Thailand and we was referring to those passing away when in Thailand.

As for the suggestion that some distant relative (one living far away) may have a a form of Right over the photograph of he/she who has passed away, I think some are simply trying to create the appearance of an issue where is is none. Last I heard, pictures of myself belong to me and not distant relatives.

As for objections from distant relatives to the posting of a picture of he/she who has passed again, it is a complete non issue, as the laws of their homeland do not apply in Thailand. People do not grieve or get upset over the sight of a picture, they grieve over the Loss of that person.

pipoz4444
Here here, pipoz4444 and jacksprtatt and statointhailand and Udon Map and Khun Paul and well everyone but Whistler on this matter. It was a simple, transparent and tedious attempt to bait KP (and all comers) from where I sit. Boring.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 24, 2023, 1:04 pm

Pot, I was not baiting one single bit. Simply expressing my views on the matter. You are are as welcome to disagree as I am to state my point of view.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » February 24, 2023, 1:29 pm

Whi, thank you for your clarification.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”