Post by choi choi » March 23, 2023, 7:42 pm

Here Nong Sam rong, There is no bar for miles! Many farangs live in this area
Golf players bar just closed up!
Anyone interested in running a bar would do well! :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Bar Beer needed

Post by stattointhailand » March 23, 2023, 8:31 pm

Cant remember any bar "doing well" anywhere near Nong Samrong in the last 20 years.
Englishmans retreat & BB had to rely on hotel customers and if memory serves they had regular tuktuk contacts as most customers did not want to drink locally, they wanted to go the 5km into town to drink

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 23, 2023, 8:43 pm

Paid a visit to BB resort Just 4 days ago they charge Hotel prices.
Too expensive

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 23, 2023, 8:44 pm

Deans bar was OK but he had to move out . Owner was greedy!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 23, 2023, 9:03 pm

Not saying Nam Samrong doesnt need a bar but there are a few Thai places in and around the area already.

Only my opinion but .....location is a key factor as is parking , for the most part in my experience any bar / restaurant should target the Thai market and hope to pick up a few expats along the way .. a bar in any other area other than prime city center aimed solely at falangs just doesnt work out well , as Dean commented moving from Nutty Park to NSR was like chalk n cheese and even with his big following it was hard to make it profitable.

There is a lot more to opening and operating a bar than meets the eye , especially with food introduced ,the main bug bear is staff amongst many others.

There is very little profit in local beers n spirits so take off over heads and unless its a hobby bar it will never turn a profit of cover costs.

Also there are simply more Thai customers on hand and they are way better than falang customers , spend more and in general dont whinge as much.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 23, 2023, 9:23 pm

Unfortunately with somewhere like Nong Samrong you cannot just deal with local patrons, you would have to attract them from further afield as well. To get Farang/Thais even to travel you would need some type of themed bar that others had not got, and that would be expensive to set up, and likely to flop after a few months when the next new "place to be seen" on your line/facebook selfie page opened up. As you say in your OP there are quite a few faring in the area, and I suspect that they have all allowed the cost of travel to/from town to visit the bar when arranging what part of town to live.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 24, 2023, 11:13 am

I have read logic being used regarding BARS, shame most of those who post, did NOT use that same logic when they were operating . Just an observation !!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 24, 2023, 11:45 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 24, 2023, 11:13 am
I have read logic being used regarding BARS, shame most of those who post, did NOT use that same logic when they were operating . Just an observation !!
Many bars were doing OK prior to Covid, this looks like a dig at DM. The game changed during those difficult few years with owners carrying a loss, we also know that DM had big health problems. A bit harsh considering.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

samsam
udonmap.com

Post by samsam » March 24, 2023, 1:29 pm

Customer Needed should be the Title 🤪

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 24, 2023, 7:57 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 24, 2023, 11:45 am
Khun Paul wrote:
March 24, 2023, 11:13 am
Many bars were doing OK prior to Covid, this looks like a dig at DM. The game changed during those difficult few years with owners carrying a loss, we also know that DM had big health problems. A bit harsh considering.
Regardless of any health issues i may have been up against which im pretty sure no one gives a toss about ..

i digress lets not forget we did have and sold businesses in Pattaya prior to arriving here in late 2007 so Whizzy ive got experience and broad shoulders , the Udon businesses Dao n I have been involved in would more than hold up to scrutiny and i stand by any advice i offer as being accurate and factual.... it makes me laugh these so called experts on all things Thai including running a bar restaurant , resort anything here who have never actually invested 1 baht and had a go themselves yet like to throw sh8t at those who have.(this comment added so KP can say how stupid it is to open a bar when many people both Thai n Foreign who do it properly have are are still making a very good living doing so)

Even at Chern Chim thought a foreign food shop with an outdoor beer garden we had a high % of Thai customers after that the Tap which was 90% Thai .. Thai customer do not complain and spend more so any bar should target them and hope to get a few expat customers a s bonus.

Location , Staff and red tape of utmost importance..but what do i know eh ..

DM
Last edited by Drunk Monkey on March 24, 2023, 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 24, 2023, 8:03 pm

"Location , Staff and red tape of utmost importance.."

As it not painting the bl**dy thing claret & blue all the way through :-&

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 25, 2023, 7:25 am

Criticise my remarks bu at no time was I aiming it at anyone particular person or bar/restaurant despite some of you attempting to stir the pot ( failing ).
I have seen many a Ba/ Restaurant open in wrong place, wrong time and almost fail because of l;ocation and lack of customers .
I am fully aware that may stay open because the ( Foreign ) owner is paying the startup costs and generally the basic running costs, even if the business is making money it will not repay the capital and generally just about stays afloat.
Some do very well, I was offered a p[rime location for a bar once ven though the offer was generous , I declined as although at the time it would have made money , one could see the customer base was fluid and I am sure during Covid I would have shut it down . As DM is well aware what a Foreigner has to do to stay legal is completely different to a Thai owner, as everyone from the local Tessaban to the Revenue Depts and the Police look at you with a fine toothcomb.

Business like housing is always about location and in the entertainment world the throughput of customers of all nationalities Finding the niche is hard not that difficult but getting harder.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 25, 2023, 6:26 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 25, 2023, 7:25 am
. . . I declined as although at the time it would have made money , one could see the customer base was fluid and I am sure during Covid I would have shut it down.
Yes, but you didn't know in advance that Covid was coming, I assume, so that couldn't have been a factor in your decision making.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 25, 2023, 7:08 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
Criticise my remarks bu at no time was I aiming it at anyone particular person or bar/restaurant despite some of you attempting to stir the pot ( failing ).
I have seen many a Ba/ Restaurant open in wrong place, wrong time and almost fail because of l;ocation and lack of customers .
I am fully aware that may stay open because the ( Foreign ) owner is paying the startup costs and generally the basic running costs, even if the business is making money it will not repay the capital and generally just about stays afloat.
Some do very well, I was offered a p[rime location for a bar once ven though the offer was generous , I declined as although at the time it would have made money , one could see the customer base was fluid and I am sure during Covid I would have shut it down . As DM is well aware what a Foreigner has to do to stay legal is completely different to a Thai owner, as everyone from the local Tessaban to the Revenue Depts and the Police look at you with a fine toothcomb.

Business like housing is always about location and in the entertainment world the throughput of customers of all nationalities Finding the niche is hard not that difficult but getting harder.
Agree with just about all that KP..

You bring up a very valid and interesting point when an expat husband/boyfriend decides to get the missus and or her family a bar bizz in that in many cases the foreigner "invests" the money for start up costs ie finding a location rent, refurbs and furniture, then there is the opening food and beverage stock , then allowing a period where there will be minimal income to settle in and then hopefully generate some regular custom and enough income to survive ... IMO seen many times that the income collected does not get put aside to re stock so usually when the fridge is empty its down to the expat investor to pay up again for more stock ...just where the income has gone always seems to be a sticking point with a spurious explanation.

I know of a few bars in Udon and around Isan that make healthy profits , all have the same things in common ..great location some kind of theme that makes them different from others and niche food and beverage products that make the customers return regularly.

Even though covid seems to be consigned to the history books it should always be considered what if theres another similar occurrence , I wouldnt advise anyone to open a bar bizz in the current climate and as alluded to by KP the legalities can be an issue with government departments getting stricter ... entering the bar game will more than likely bring problems ,headaches and stress with very little to show for it in the end when a for sale sign goes up or the shutters drop and just walkaway.

DM

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 25, 2023, 7:14 pm

How many on this thread actually ran a bar? I would suggest DM may be the one and only. My own knowledge is a tad second hand as my partner owned a bar restaurant for 10 years in Phuket, and managed 2 bars in Soi Sampan. The impact of Covid was obvious, so even well run bars experienced problems.

Location, staff and red tape have their role, but KP seems oblivious to two of the most significant factors, thus displaying his shallow understanding on the important issues, yet still feels he can sermonise about the subject.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 26, 2023, 7:19 am

Udon Map wrote:
March 25, 2023, 6:26 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
. . . I declined as although at the time it would have made money , one could see the customer base was fluid and I am sure during Covid I would have shut it down.
Yes, but you didn't know in advance that Covid was coming, I assume, so that couldn't have been a factor in your decision making.
Havinmg lived here for a numer opf years prior to the offer I rejeted I can say that bar ownin was seasonal and the place I was talking about was built by my friend accomodating many dars and ran by his wife.
TENANCY Was iffy and rentals was hit or miss and at that time I personally copnsideed that UDON Was being flooded with bar some good the rest ay best iffy so it was plain to see tha business would be affected by ANY^ downturn in customers. It would only take a small hiccup in customers to affect profitability.
We had the edict from the Thai Government regarding Income lettrs that affected many bar-hoppers , customer base declined thne sadly covid struck and it customers stopped .
One could not in any way foreseen the COVID damage to business, but one could see that in a very short space of time, Too many bars equals less customes on average unless you had the edge with an attractive theme.Bottom line never run a bar always supply something else ...FOOD was the best option, then you need a good cook and we all know how hard they are to find and retai !!!!!!!!!!

Not rocket science to run a business but outside forces here have in many cases a detrimental effect, unless you are in control and often you are not . You should know that UM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 26, 2023, 7:34 am

Whistler wrote:
March 25, 2023, 7:14 pm
How many on this thread actually ran a bar? I would suggest DM may be the one and only. My own knowledge is a tad second hand as my partner owned a bar restaurant for 10 years in Phuket, and managed 2 bars in Soi Sampan. The impact of Covid was obvious, so even well run bars experienced problems.

Location, staff and red tape have their role, but KP seems oblivious to two of the most significant factors, thus displaying his shallow understanding on the important issues, yet still feels he can sermonise about the subject.
As usual you insult and decide to state I have zero knowledge, Udon suddenly had an overabundance of bars and although for some even some Thai owners making money was getting harder and surviving was even harder. Before I made a decision to reject the offer of bar location which was prime I factored in many variables , took advice even from the owner of the location which offered me a location . So go ahead assume ( whch you often do in relation to me ) that I know nothing . Staying legal is hard in Thailand and I know many you crossed others palms to stay open, something which I had no intention of doing

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 26, 2023, 9:26 am

PK, I said shallow knowledge not zero knowledge. What are the two very important factors that you missed out?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 26, 2023, 10:26 am

Bars are dependent on the BIG three. Location, location and location. A friend of mine had a bar in Pattaya and it made money hand over fist. He then opened a BBQ bar about five kilometers south of Pattaya. It was a big place with NO parking. Myself and a friend of mine went to his grand opening. We were the only two customers. Needless to say, it failed miserably.Owning any bar needs a stout heart, patience and a pocket full of money.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 26, 2023, 10:37 am

glalt wrote:
March 26, 2023, 10:26 am
Bars are dependent on the BIG three. Location, location and location. A friend of mine had a bar in Pattaya and it made money hand over fist. He then opened a BBQ bar about five kilometers south of Pattaya. It was a big place with NO parking. Myself and a friend of mine went to his grand opening. We were the only two customers. Needless to say, it failed miserably.Owning any bar needs a stout heart, patience and a pocket full of money.
I agree about the location bit but the most important thing is the owner, to be a good publican is a skill, only a few have it, to run a good bar is only there for a select few who have the natural talent. That's why most fail.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”