There is still a bit around

General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: There is still a bit around

Post by Whistler » May 12, 2023, 1:26 pm

No symptoms for past 24 hours. Reading guff on isolation times, they say it's OK to circulate providing at last 5 days since symptoms first appeared and 24 hours symptom-free. So about now. I probably got infected about a week ago, not sure where. I have not worn a mask for several weeks, I will wear a mask for the next few days. Reading expert opinions, masks can slow spread, but the greatest advantage is for the infected to wear masks so when they sneeze they limit the spread of droplets into the air, that makes perfect sense. The recommendation is not to test again as it may give a false positive.

Pretty mild overall, throat was quite sore and a bad case of the squirts.

Happiness is a dry fart.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 18, 2023, 4:32 am

Been in the UK for 3 weeks, I do not think i saw masks more than 10 times outside the airport, nobody cares any more.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » May 18, 2023, 8:59 am

Is it that we don't care or because it has been proven that masks are ineffective?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 18, 2023, 11:12 am

karonsteve wrote:
May 18, 2023, 8:59 am
Is it that we don't care or because it has been proven that masks are ineffective?
Yes.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 18, 2023, 11:44 am

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 18, 2023, 11:52 am

karonsteve wrote:
I think the general feeling in the UK is, why bother when actually getting Covid is no worse than getting the flu.

Actually I'd be interested to see if the number of Flu cases was greatly reduced in the Winter of 2021/2022 when most people where wearing masks. In theory the numbers should have been a lot lower? :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 18, 2023, 12:18 pm

I would expect the numbers to have drastically decreased, due mainly to the numbers that were being bumped of in our "lack of care" homes with Covid

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 18, 2023, 12:27 pm

deankham wrote:
May 18, 2023, 11:52 am
karonsteve wrote:
I think the general feeling in the UK is, why bother when actually getting Covid is no worse than getting the flu.

Actually I'd be interested to see if the number of Flu cases was greatly reduced in the Winter of 2021/2022 when most people where wearing masks. In theory the numbers should have been a lot lower? :-k
It almost certainly would be the case Mr D.

The experience in Australia, where mask wearing compliance was very high, was quite a few communicable diseases almost disappeared, in fact there were zero reported cases of measles in 2021 and only 21 in 2020. Airborn-transmitted diseases like the Flu, Covid and Measles are all are impacted by face masks.

The naysayers trot out all sorts of ill-thought-out reasons to justify their anti-mask wearing bias. A favorite is talking about the gaps in most commercial masks where tiny droplets can penetrate those gaps. They point out the virus is smaller than the gaps in the mask, so the masks cannot stop the virus.

They ignore the obvious. When we sneeze, we do not sneeze individual virus material, most of what we sneeze is water, with the virus contained in the water droplets that are thousands of times bigger than individual virus molecules. So the valid screen gaps are more than adequate. More importantly, an infected person has these particles trapped within their own masks so they have a harder time infecting the air around them.

This has been researched ad infinitum by scores of qualified research bodies and all came to the same conclusion. I have yet to see one peer-reviewed study accepted by the scientific community that proves the opposite.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 18, 2023, 12:55 pm

Not even from Trump University?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 18, 2023, 1:13 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 18, 2023, 12:55 pm
Not even from Trump University?
GRINS :confused:

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 18, 2023, 1:49 pm

I always remember when I lived in HK in the 2000's mask wearing was common when someone was feeling sick. Seemed a good common sense approach.

They were also very focused on sanitizing doors, lift buttons, hand rails, etc, etc in all public buildings.

I'm still amazed that even today, post covid, the number of people who refuse to wash their hands after going to the Hong Nam. [-X

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 20, 2023, 7:51 pm

I still wear a mask occasionally. But only if many others are as well or if i MIGHT have Covid. Masks may slow the spread of the virus, but the current variants WILL get you eventually, just like the common cold. I caught it from a family member, not from walking about in public. Between my vaccinations and my one Covid bout, I have very little fear of it anymore. I am not going to isolate myself or mask up at every opportunity, life is to short anyway. Just take sensible, basic precautions.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 21, 2023, 7:49 am

Agree Rick. I think frequently washing hands and masking up if sick should be standard practice and not much of an imposition.
Last edited by Whistler on May 21, 2023, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 21, 2023, 7:58 am

I dont know anywhere where it is compulsory to mask up now .. saying that its obvious if you are feeling ruff you should if needing to go out n about n mingle.

i recently masked up to go the immo office .. was told not compulsory its optional and the same at banks,i was the only customer masked up in the Kasikorn branch i use.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 22, 2023, 9:22 am

The Covid pandemic highlightes that as a species we were very bad at PERSONAL HYGENIE, if nothing else it taught most of us that cleanliness is next to Godliness as many of us were taught and dereliction in that habit caught us all unawares .

Producing many many comments and adverts to clean hands et and the wearing of masks , Even to removing external clothes before entering the home to minimise contamination from particles absorbed by those same clothes.

How quickly we forget those simple lessons, shows us that arrogance and selfishness rules many peoples lives , before at its height we all pulled the same way for mutual protection and now we are all going different ways. Remember folks for whatever reason that system worked together with vaccinations and some are now happily abandoning it because it irks you. Pretty petty reactions , no man is an island we are all living on the same planet physically although some are not mentally.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 24, 2023, 11:20 am

10000 plus in Chonburi still around and raging in some places the delusional deniers look out

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 24, 2023, 10:26 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
May 24, 2023, 11:20 am
10000 plus in Chonburi still around and raging in some places the delusional deniers look out
So there's a load of dirty buggers in Chonburi? Tell us something we don't know.

PS: It's the (new) flu.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 25, 2023, 7:05 am

tamada wrote:
May 24, 2023, 10:26 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
So there's a load of dirty buggers in Chonburi? Tell us something we don't know.

Prove that last comment, oh mighty health guru !!!!!!!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 25, 2023, 7:07 am

For what it's worth, my son's Udon Christian School class three day closure, now extended to complete week. Room being cleaned too. It seems at least half the pupils in his class have symptoms, not my son , although these are mild. I don't know about rest of the school. Time and gasoline saved, but in lieu I have to listen to wife/son on how much time he's allowed on tv, computer, 'phone. Nintendo etc! :roll:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 25, 2023, 8:31 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 25, 2023, 7:05 am
tamada wrote:
May 24, 2023, 10:26 pm
Khun Paul wrote:

Prove that last comment, oh mighty health guru !!!!!!!
https://www.who.int/news-room/questions ... -influenza
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”