Public Service Announcement

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Public Service Announcement

Post by tamada » May 13, 2023, 8:40 am

I was advised that the local constabulary appear to have reintroduced traffic stop breath testing. They apparently chose the bit on the east side ring road between the two u-turns, roughly opposite Index Mall. Rumor has it that the nearest ATM was already out of 1000 baht notes by song thoom.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Public Service Announcement

Post by Whistler » May 13, 2023, 9:47 am

tamada wrote:
May 13, 2023, 8:40 am
I was advised that the local constabulary appear to have reintroduced traffic stop breath testing. They apparently chose the bit on the east side ring road between the two u-turns, roughly opposite Index Mall. Rumor has it that the nearest ATM was already out of 1000 baht notes by song thoom.
If they are getting back into the swing of the revenue season, another favorite stop is ring Rd west of Hwy 2, either in front of Suzuki dealership or 1 km further west at a U-turn intersection in Ban Jun. They have pulled me over in the evening at least 5 times in these spots
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 13, 2023, 12:59 pm

Only idiots drink and drive these days, so really no need of the announcement as those who drink will pay zero attention to any warnings.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 15, 2023, 6:17 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 13, 2023, 12:59 pm
Only idiots drink and drive these days, so really no need of the announcement as those who drink will pay zero attention to any warnings.
Oh yes we do!

Signed
idiot
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 15, 2023, 12:43 pm

For once I agree with KP. Taxis aren't expensive here.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 15, 2023, 4:45 pm

samster wrote:
May 15, 2023, 12:43 pm
Try Udon - Kut Chap and return. 800 to 1000 baht. Cheaper of course than tea money to BIB. But if driving I restrict my imbibing to 2 beers
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 15, 2023, 5:09 pm

Using Grab is cheaper (200-300) but out that far have to wait

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 15, 2023, 5:13 pm

I let the wife drive, and generally have a snooze in the passenger seat. 8)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 17, 2023, 8:19 am

Whistler wrote:
May 15, 2023, 4:45 pm
samster wrote:
Try Udon - Kut Chap and return. 800 to 1000 baht. Cheaper of course than tea money to BIB. But if driving I restrict my imbibing to 2 beers
Tea money went the way of the dodo. Last tme a colleague of mine was found to have been dinking the minimum was 10k, or court the following morning, he chose the latter and was fined 15k plus costs.
Taxi sounds like a far better idea or even a small room for the night. It is easy to be stupid and risk it, but to avoid it is an intelligent act.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 17, 2023, 9:04 am

Dont venture into town so much these days, but did a couple of weeks ago (first time in about 9 months) had a sherbert or two visited 7/11 for a burger at about 3am and tuk tuk driver spotted me took me home without being told where to go and dropped me off 50 yds from my door (never go to door as have elderly neighbours and tuk tuk noise at 3/4am not fair) ......... its not only the bar girls who have photographic memories :-k

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 17, 2023, 11:09 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 17, 2023, 8:19 am
Whistler wrote:
samster wrote:
Tea money went the way of the dodo. Last tme a colleague of mine was found to have been dinking the minimum was 10k, or court the following morning, he chose the latter and was fined 15k plus costs.
Taxi sounds like a far better idea or even a small room for the night. It is easy to be stupid and risk it, but to avoid it is an intelligent act.
Not doubting your post KP but i recently looked into the exact procedure and the current accurate information i have on hand is as follows.

Tea money of varying amounts appears still be be requested at the first instance .. non payment means a night in Udon police cell or bail 2000 bt to appear at he Udon attourney generals office followed by court the next morning...the court operates 7 days a week.

Currently maximum fine for DUI is 5000 (unless serious injury or death has occured) but usually its 2500 to 3000 if the crime of DUI is admitted , in addition a 12 month probation period in which if caught DUI again its "go straight to jail" 30 to 60 days in the Udon Hilton, reporting every 90 days during the probation period, also as well as probation either a community service order is added or to get out of the community service which is cleaning , gardening etc an alternative is 3 blood donations at UGH during the probation period.

oh and 500 bt for having no license as in no circumstances should a person hand over their DL as it will be suspended for the probation period (or longer) better to pay the 500 fine for not being able to produce a license.

The court can also add 300 bt fine for not being able to produce the vehicle registration documents if in the name of the person committing the DUI offense but this is rarely enforced.

Better not to get caught in the first place to avoid a circa 3k fine plus the minor inconvenience for the year of probation n blood donations...

Get the missus to drop you off or tuk tuk to location thenst after intoxication easy and cheap to get a grab home... or stop drinking totally ;)

BTW after what seems to be a lull in activity the BIB do appear to be ramping up check points again both on the ring road and inside the town.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 17, 2023, 11:48 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 17, 2023, 11:09 am
Khun Paul wrote:
May 17, 2023, 8:19 am
Whistler wrote:
samster wrote:
Not doubting your post KP but i recently looked into the exact procedure and the current accurate information i have on hand is as follows.

Tea money of varying amounts appears still be be requested at the first instance .. non payment means a night in Udon police cell or bail 2000 bt to appear at he Udon attourney generals office followed by court the next morning...the court operates 7 days a week.

Currently maximum fine for DUI is 5000 (unless serious injury or death has occured) but usually its 2500 to 3000 if the crime of DUI is admitted , in addition a 12 month probation period in which if caught DUI again its "go straight to jail" 30 to 60 days in the Udon Hilton, reporting every 90 days during the probation period, also as well as probation either a community service order is added or to get out of the community service which is cleaning , gardening etc an alternative is 3 blood donations at UGH during the probation period.

oh and 500 bt for having no license as in no circumstances should a person hand over their DL as it will be suspended for the probation period (or longer) better to pay the 500 fine for not being able to produce a license.

The court can also add 300 bt fine for not being able to produce the vehicle registration documents if in the name of the person committing the DUI offense but this is rarely enforced.

Better not to get caught in the first place to avoid a circa 3k fine plus the minor inconvenience for the year of probation n blood donations...

Get the missus to drop you off or tuk tuk to location thenst after intoxication easy and cheap to get a grab home... or stop drinking totally ;)

BTW after what seems to be a lull in activity the BIB do appear to be ramping up check points again both on the ring road and inside the town.

DM
My story was NOT based on Udon Thani and in fact as stated by yourself can vary. This occurred some time ago maybe when the furore of Drunk Thais killing important people was around.
Be that as it may nice to know locally heaper options abound however as this is Thailand the trick is NOT to drik period , but I see as you do many who risk it . As for D/L now that is computerised not producing it at the time still means it will be suspended in any event or worse. trying to be clever is no longer an option .

But the there are some born every minute like those who ride motorbikes with no helmet ec, bloody mad

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”