Monthly expat meetup?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Re: Monthly expat meetup?

Post by Fuzzy Ken » May 23, 2023, 11:15 am

Jackspratt's excellent Google image is the place, and was open in January, and I would be very surprised if no longer operating.

I think the massage place Tennyson mentions, is somewhere further down, but not in our soi.

Perhaps a delegation could be charged with making a fact finding visit, followed by a full report in triplicate on my desk by close of play on Wednesday haha

Good hunting
Fuzzyken

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 23, 2023, 11:17 am

Tennyson wrote:
May 23, 2023, 10:20 am
If it’s the massage place near the corner past Paradise Hotel, it packed up at the time COVID struck but there’s been a few attempts at re-opening since.

I walked past there a few days ago and it appeared closed, dusty and abandoned.
You'd Better Inform Mr Pratt then before he heads in for the next meeting, He's Coming All the way from Ban Dung Yer Know.... :lol: :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 23, 2023, 11:20 am

Fuzzy Ken wrote:
May 23, 2023, 8:59 am
I’m sure it will be large enough to accommodate all shapes and sizes, without radical modification. Weight watchers and bird watchers can rest at ease.

It was along time ago when Lars and Richard, sadly both RIP, drew up the constitution, following difficulties with the original expat club. Meetings back then were held at what was, Paolo Hospital. I wonder whether any of those members are still around.

As suggested, go take a look
Fuzzyken
Anyone have a copy of that constitution saved anywhere?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2023, 12:11 pm

tamada wrote:
May 23, 2023, 11:20 am
Fuzzy Ken wrote:
May 23, 2023, 8:59 am
I’m sure it will be large enough to accommodate all shapes and sizes, without radical modification. Weight watchers and bird watchers can rest at ease.

It was along time ago when Lars and Richard, sadly both RIP, drew up the constitution, following difficulties with the original expat club. Meetings back then were held at what was, Paolo Hospital. I wonder whether any of those members are still around.

As suggested, go take a look
Fuzzyken
Anyone have a copy of that constitution saved anywhere?
A constitution for a monthly beer with some buddies and associates?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 23, 2023, 12:13 pm

Didnt realise we had constitutions etc ........ I thought we just turned up on the first Sat of the month in the food area of night market and all just started chatting to whoever was there. I certainly never joined/paid or agreed anything :-k

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2023, 12:26 pm

Rule 1 has been breached, the chair requests the member for Ban Dung is asked to refrain from assaulting the member from Ban Chiang and release him from the headlock until he can seek medical attention.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 23, 2023, 2:20 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 23, 2023, 12:13 pm
Didnt realise we had constitutions etc ........ I thought we just turned up on the first Sat of the month in the food area of night market and all just started chatting to whoever was there. I certainly never joined/paid or agreed anything :-k
No fun without a constitution. This is Thailand after all, hub of (useless, self-serving) constitutions.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 23, 2023, 2:37 pm

Can I write the amendments ,,,,,,,,, can I can I

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2023, 2:45 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 23, 2023, 2:37 pm
Can I write the amendments ,,,,,,,,, can I can I
Go for it Stat, publish and we can vote on their inclusion. I have downloaded the Dominion app to ensure the voting is not tampered with. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » May 23, 2023, 2:51 pm

For anyone's interest, this is the link to the old club: https://www.udonexpatsclub.com/sponsors#h.wgz6rgxy40c0

Those of us that attended the club meetings, will recall that it was quite an enterprise. Coffee, cookies, minutes and guest speakers etc. A far cry from when a few of us met in the old part of Preecha Market.

Perhaps doubtful that a few old codgers, sorry, gentlemen of the first order, accompanied by their WAGs, will raise an eyebrow with the local constabulary. Small social gatherings ought to be OK but who am I to predict and/or attempt to navigate nebulous local laws.

I'll be interested to hear more, including suggestions for food parcels for expats in the local jail..

Fuzzyken

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 23, 2023, 2:53 pm

Might take me a while as I have to figure out who is gonna pay for my monthly holiday trips first (and I could do with the lounge being re papered ..... and of course the nursury bills will need sorting)

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » May 23, 2023, 3:01 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 23, 2023, 10:07 am
https://www.google.com/maps/@17.3996112 ... 384!8i8192

Paradise Hotel in the background.

Mukda Massage For Health further along the soi. :love:
Closed a few days ago... I live on that soi... Never any customers.... :roll:

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » May 23, 2023, 4:27 pm

As one of the old originals, having attended the very first one organised by Paul, ex volunteer tourist police and wearer of many sorts of headgear to cover his receding hair line at which I was the only one to turn up after he suggested it in the forum. It gradually improved after we posted some of the exploits we had which sparked an interest in many others until we had sometimes a dozen many accompanied by their other halves , making a great social mix, many of which are dead now, or moved away,remember this was nearly two decades ago, speaking for myself i am long past the excitement of seeing the Tigerbeer girls pouring my drink in their little mini skirts. they were great times to be looked forward to every couple of weekends.It actually came to an end when UD town opened up and Preecha market started to run down . the atmosphere wasnt the same and of course you were only allowed to drink that Chang stuff, no more Thaiger girls, then the govt banned the beer girls.We tried a few bar rendezous but that didn't really generate the same atmosphere so it petered out.Several times some members tried to get it going again but speaking personally the old faces were sadly missed, never to be replaced by the current crop of members who don't seem to generate the same comradeship we had judging by current postings .No for me I want to remember the good times and the nice people we met never to be repeated .So RIP to those that have passed on and hi to those still around that I see occassionally . Those were the days.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » May 23, 2023, 7:50 pm

I was there! (Mortiboy.) Also was Bangkok Stanand his dog (RIP), Roy Cussens(RIP), Doug White,(Live and kicking) few others forget their names!But was a great meet up and got to meet new friends! Ahh good old days!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 23, 2023, 7:58 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
May 23, 2023, 4:27 pm
.......the excitement of seeing the Tigerbeer girls pouring my drink in their little mini skirts.....
Gawd luv a duck, Val - that sounds extremely kinky.

But I do remember beer was a lot cheaper in those days. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 24, 2023, 6:10 am

choosing Tiger or Chang back in the day
tigerbeer.png
tigerbeer.png (189.17 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 24, 2023, 7:14 am

This has morphed into a rather maudlin "where are they now?" thread.

CCW on (most) Friday's gets a decent turnout where those not overly discomfited by having their UM personae revealed or destroyed, indulge in happy, frequently raucous times with others who have absolutely no clue as to this forum's existence or the flat earth that throws us together.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 24, 2023, 7:17 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 24, 2023, 6:10 am

tigerbeer.png
Dont you mean chasing?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » May 24, 2023, 8:15 am

tamada wrote:
May 24, 2023, 7:17 am
stattointhailand wrote:
May 24, 2023, 6:10 am

tigerbeer.png
Dont you mean chasing?
Certainly not, that was part of the fun the girls were most certainly not available, well, to us anyway, enabling a sort of mild flirtartion in front of our wives without getting into trouble

.Still around I must add are the always good for a laugh Cliff, pops who i see frequently and LA and his wife Ree who incidently he met there, sister of one of the vendors but now living in Cha Amm so dont see often.Ah yes Stans little dog
on the table.caused a few comments that.Memories.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 24, 2023, 11:19 am

I concur with Old grumpy , no need to reactivate this .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”