Is electricity going to save us? Dont think so

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Is electricity going to save us? Dont think so

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 10:16 am

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=2979651662249544

Listen to what they are saying , electricity is not totally the answer and never will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

Renewable Energy Festival. It starts to rain and they have to bring in hydrocarbon burning units for backup power production

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Is electricity going to save us? Dont think so

Post by tamada » May 25, 2023, 10:40 am

The festival organizers probably claimed they sourced their fossil-fueled backup generators from companies that claim they a zero carbon footprint.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 25, 2023, 11:24 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 10:16 am

Listen to what they are saying , electricity is not totally the answer and never will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

Renewable Energy Festival. It starts to rain and they have to bring in hydrocarbon burning units for backup power production
The Advance Australia is a conservative group setup to counter Getup, a left wing lobby group in Australia. Their agenda is typically championing right-wing causes, they oppose the science of climate change being taught in schools without what they say is a balanced argument from climate deniers, many other such causes. I would not think they would offer a balanced scientific-backed argument on that subject.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 25, 2023, 12:11 pm

tamada wrote:
May 25, 2023, 10:40 am
The festival organizers probably claimed they sourced their fossil-fueled backup generators from companies that claim they have a zero carbon footprint.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 25, 2023, 12:50 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 25, 2023, 10:16 am

I had a listen - twice in fact - but I missed the bit where they suggest anything about electricity not being the answer, or whether it's going to save us (or not).

Can you point me to where this occurs?

That would help.

I also noticed an awful lot of editing in clip. :-k

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 12:54 pm

Can you point me to where this occurs?
Please refer to the news from the past twenty years or so

I also noticed an awful lot of editing in clip
For a correction as a suggestion you can contact the original authors or just dont worry about it

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 25, 2023, 1:25 pm

Well now you have me well and truly stumped, Dd.

So I guess there is nothing in the clip you linked.

As for the last 20 years, I am a pretty avid follower of the news, and really can't remember ever seeing any suggestion that electricity wasn't the answer. In fact, to the contrary, plenty of electricity will be needed to power the technology required to counter the debilitating effects of global warming, caused in large part by the continued use of fossil fuels. 👍

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2023, 2:08 pm

We need fossil fuels to build the machines, and equipment to produce this lifesaving electric solutions

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 26, 2023, 7:14 am

In truth and until a truly sustainable renewable source of making and transmitting electricity is invented or found and at an acceptable PRICE, it is plainly obvious that NON -RENEWABLE energy sources will still be needed to be used

Instead of putting all the eggs into one basket by making the current transportation options far more environmentally acceptable, by reducing their carbon footprint not just necessarily electric which it transpires is NOT as environmentally acceptable anymore . Utilising nature in a sustainable way and allowing an acceptable period of time to implement these changes, stop thje knee jerk reactions and do some serious investigation and work to find the answers.

Pure electric will bring a major problem to developed countries, in developing countries like here it is almost a on-starter their infrastructure struggles with domestic supply , installing charging stations for everyone to be able to access will never happen

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 27, 2023, 1:10 pm

there will be a transition period before the full green mandate is implmented. I'd put faith in tech advancements in battery and electric motor development along with the newer small nuclear reactors.. But, until there is easy availability of electricity from a combination of hydro, nuke, wind, solar, thermal, tidal and yes fossil fuel trying to jam it down the throats of countries will fail.
Dave

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 27, 2023, 1:39 pm

Totally agree. The greatest challenge is managing the transition. Not just to maintain a reliable supply, but also to take care of those communities whose livelihood currently is based on coal, oil and gas.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 28, 2023, 7:11 pm

Just a heads up for the ignorant, or purposely ill-informed.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 283466&z=6

During my recent drive south, and return, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of servos prominently displaying "EV" outside their premises. For this developing country, it seems to be well on its way to establishing the necessary infrastructure to sustain an EV based light vehicle economy. 👍

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 28, 2023, 7:29 pm

This data is 1.5byears old
"As of 22 September 2021, there were 693 electric vehicle charging stations (2,285 total chargers) in Thailand.[6] A survey conducted in 2021 by ABeam Consulting Thailand described current charging infrastructure as inadequate"

"There are now more than 37 million registered cars and motorcycles in Thailand, including 2.45 million units registered this year, said Mr Sanit Promwong, director-general of Land Transport Department, on Monday. Altogether 37,268,655 vehicles have been registered until now."

I would say that Thailand like other Countries aint got a hope in H__l to get to electric dominancy

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 28, 2023, 7:54 pm

Why would you quote stats from 20 months ago, in what is, after all, a very fast moving business?

And WTF is the relevance of motorcycle registrations?
I would say that Thailand like other Countries aint got a hope in H__l to get to electric dominancy
Leading the charge toward a cleaner future, Norway hit a new record in 2022, as nearly four of every five cars sold were electric. According to the latest registration date, Norway is well on its way to becoming the first nation to end gas-powered car sales by 2025
https://electrek.co/2023/01/02/norway-h ... e-in-2022/
:confused:

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 28, 2023, 8:52 pm

Big C was putting in some charging stations out front the other day...
Dave

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 28, 2023, 8:59 pm

What are we all moving to Norway???
The World aint got a hope in Hell to go electric

2025 estimated sales worldwide electric 14.1 million https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics ... -2020-2030

2023 estimate car sales worldwide hydrocarbon fuelled 70.8 million https://www.statista.com/statistics/200 ... ince-1990/

Reason for Norway sales doing so well, TAXES Being exempt as compared to hydrocarbon vehicles still having their tax being imposed BUT that will soon change and electric will soon have taxes

Norway used to have zero tax and VAT on electric cars until 2023, but it’s now gradually changing the tax to be more and more the same as non-electric vehicles. The current (2023) taxes and fees are at 25 % VAT for the price above 500,000 NOK, as well as 12,5 NOK for kg the car weights over 500 kg.

Thailand has cut its excise tax from 8% to 2 % to boost sales

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 28, 2023, 9:00 pm

And just down the street from Big C they just opened a new PTT station

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 28, 2023, 9:28 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 28, 2023, 7:29 pm
So after I have demonstrated that (an)other country is rapidly moving to electric dominancy, you have shifted tour argument from "other Countries" to "The World".
Doodoo wrote:
May 28, 2023, 8:59 pm
What are we all moving to Norway???
The World aint got a hope in Hell to go electric
I am confident that EV's have a reverse gear at least as efficient as yours, Dd.
article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2023, 10:09 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
May 28, 2023, 8:52 pm
Big C was putting in some charging stations out front the other day...
They were being installed before I went to work last month. I come back and there they are, complete but unusable.

No idea why they thought three slots (including charging paraphernalia) was best located in the small, stop-and-go parking out front. Since a recharge is a slower affair than promised, why isn't it out the back? Once it's turned on, I can't see the locals leaving their EV charging in the hot sun for a couple of hours.

But they will for the first few weeks.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 28, 2023, 10:16 pm

Jack
you are confusing us. Isnt the World made up of Countries??

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”