water testing

General Udon Thani topics only!
runrunshaw
udonmap.com

water testing

Post by runrunshaw » May 30, 2023, 10:57 am

Had an RO under-the-counter water filtration system installed and want to test the drinking water, and also the unfiltered tap water, which is "City" water.

The wife has made some attempts but couldn't get good information.

Where does one go in Udon to pay for some simple water testing--not well water.

Thanks in advance.

The best gadget is the human brain.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: water testing

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 30, 2023, 12:25 pm

PM UM Member Potomai ... he is the all things water expert of Isan and an all round nice bloke, owner of JD Beverages based in Udon and Nong Khai

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » May 30, 2023, 1:40 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 30, 2023, 12:25 pm
PM UM Member Potomai ... he is the all things water expert of Isan and an all round nice bloke, owner of JD Beverages based in Udon and Nong Khai

DM
Thanks DM, but, are you sure about the spelling? Tried sending a DM but UM shows me this: The requested users to be added do not exist.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 30, 2023, 1:45 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
May 30, 2023, 1:40 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 30, 2023, 12:25 pm

DM
Thanks DM, but, are you sure about the spelling? Tried sending a DM but UM shows me this: The requested users to be added do not exist.
I meant send a PM ..as in a private message within the forum... im sure JD ( Potomai / John ) will reply when he sees how famous he has become.

Im sure there is a JD Beverage ad on here somewhere with contact details.

dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 30, 2023, 2:32 pm

Talk to the local orbotor. Probably a free service.

Potamoi will know the finer details (and yes, that's his stage name, not potomai).
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 30, 2023, 3:33 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
May 30, 2023, 10:57 am
Had an RO under-the-counter water filtration system installed and want to test the drinking water, and also the unfiltered tap water, which is "City" water.

The wife has made some attempts but couldn't get good information.

Where does one go in Udon to pay for some simple water testing--not well water.

Thanks in advance.
Full testing can be done at the Ministry of Public Health Lab at the Medical Science Centre.
17.264406472321454, 102.88218775668864
https://goo.gl/maps/3QKxyiScXWBxd3YJA

Costs about 6500 THB if my memory serves (my wife usually has to deliver and pay for the Health department witnessed samples once a year as part of the annual audit from our small water factory in Nong Khai).

The reports look like the attachments:
Test Result-1.jpeg
Test Result-2.jpeg
For home testing one can buy a TDS tester for a quick understanding if the filter is sort of doing its job. TDS is Total Dissolved Solids which is a broad indicator of filter wear (not so much water quality). Here are a couple of tools homeowners can buy for cheap:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/casua ... 5089.html?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/casua ... 5091.html?
NOTE: pH need about 15 min soak time for a more accurate test.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/colif ... .8&stock=1

TDS testing of the city tap water before the under the sink RO unit then after it should give you an indication of the filtering capabilities. Flow reduction is another indicator over time. Measure the liters per min when the system is new then again monthly would be one more indicator.

The RO system should be backwashed at least monthly and filters changed +/- annually (depending on usage). There should b a little valve the installer should show you on how and when to backflush the membrane and filters.
RO systems are best designed with UV-C lamp after the filtration as well. These bulbs need to be changed +/- annually.

Then there is your main tank and lines which should shock treated with chlorine periodically.

More here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54472
and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54228#p661270
and
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=53739&p=646299#p646299

There was a recent occurrence contaminated tap water in Udon near the Lotus's at Nong Khai intersection. If the water smells or is discolored consider other sources for shower and teeth brushing and certainly drinking.

This attachment sent from a friend sorry its in Thai. Google translate with the phone camera may help you understand:
74759.jpg
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » May 30, 2023, 3:41 pm

Potamoi

Thanks for all the great info.

Cheers,

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”