Young people in orange with flags at intersections

General Udon Thani topics only!
rickfarang
udonmap.com

Young people in orange with flags at intersections

Post by rickfarang » May 1, 2008, 4:19 pm

Driving around this week, I couldn't help wondering what's behind all of the young people wearing orange at the intersections. They are holding flags that say "STOP" in front of cars and motorbikes as soon as the lights turn red, maybe even keeping many from running the red light.

I wonder who thought of this, who is paying for it, and whether the sponsors think this will make a difference in the long run.

What's up with that?

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » May 1, 2008, 4:36 pm

I was told there school crossing guards. I saw them out last week when I was cruising around on the beer moped. Seems they all like my blue helmet Mohawk Image

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 1, 2008, 4:44 pm

my wife informs me thier college kids who are on holiday, and its a work experiance sort of thing, they get paid by the local government apparently, they cant get wet money though because ive not seen them when its raining. i find it amusing that they also hand out road safety brochures yet are 4 up on thier motorbikes without helmets when they go home, but T I T :? :? :? :?

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 1, 2008, 6:47 pm

Happens all the time,they get paid 200 baht a day and hopefully stop accidents when people jump the lights,I think you will find Thailand will be introducing more cct at light intersections and they will,they promise,prosecute people for jumping the lights,same as from 8 may they will start to fine people who use mobiles,not handsfree,in cars-400 baht fines and up.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 1, 2008, 6:49 pm

Not sure about college kids, but definitely HS kids. My stepson (15) was going to sign up for it but change of plans. My stepson said they get 200bt a day and my wife said 100bt :? I don't know #-o

tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Post by tingtongfalang » May 1, 2008, 9:46 pm

saint wrote:my wife informs me thier college kids who are on holiday, and its a work experiance sort of thing, they get paid by the local government apparently, they cant get wet money though because ive not seen them when its raining. i find it amusing that they also hand out road safety brochures yet are 4 up on thier motorbikes without helmets when they go home, but T I T :? :? :? :?
Hey! Four on a bike is more fun! Me, TG, and her two girls with no helmets. Man that was fun! I even drove the 2nd time! Wished we were on my Harley! No way try that in USA.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 1, 2008, 11:44 pm

Yes the orange army mean well but I think they are pissing against a force 9 gale. I stopped at lights t'other day obeying their flag and motorcyclists went left of me and zoomed to the right of me and around the 2 students to get through the red traffic light.

A good idea in principle I'm sure but is it working?

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » May 2, 2008, 8:40 am

When I stopped for a red light a few days ago a girl student knocked on the side window and handed me a fistful of the safety pamphlets. My reflex action was to grab them quickly, thinking they were KFC coupons or something. Didn't see her handing them out to anyone else. Just as well, figured that the motorbikers would have flipped them to the ground, anyway. At least mine made it to the trash barrel at home.

Actually, I like the motive in sending the kids out into the streets. It seems to make some motorists a little more cautious out there. Don't believe anyone wants to see one of the kids run over. Then again, TIT. :lol:

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » May 2, 2008, 8:54 am

Pole
It seems to make some motorists a little more cautious out there.
To bad it does not rub off on the kids doing this safety program. It would be interesting to take a pre and post survey of their understanding of safety regulations. Sadly I don't think they get the idea of motor applies to them. :(

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 18, 2008, 11:12 am

tingtongfalang wrote:
saint wrote:my wife informs me thier college kids who are on holiday, and its a work experiance sort of thing, they get paid by the local government apparently, they cant get wet money though because ive not seen them when its raining. i find it amusing that they also hand out road safety brochures yet are 4 up on thier motorbikes without helmets when they go home, but T I T :? :? :? :?
Hey! Four on a bike is more fun! Me, TG, and her two girls with no helmets. Man that was fun! I even drove the 2nd time! Wished we were on my Harley! No way try that in USA.
Unless you are in Texas!

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » May 18, 2008, 3:28 pm

Not only did they help direct traffic, they even painted the black/white and red/white.strips along the curbs.

Pop' :pirate:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”