Carefull with Rayrai Attorney!

General Udon Thani topics only!
sparky
udonmap.com

Carefull with Rayrai Attorney!

Post by sparky » June 13, 2008, 4:43 pm

I know many coments pro and con on forum but she now charges you for a telephone call if you ask for a quote as well as any emails. Never heard of paying for a quote. Also unwilling to give a total price for specific work to be performed. FBI recomends a Udon Attorney anyone have experience with him? Thanks

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 13, 2008, 5:05 pm

depends which Udon atorney, I know one who is honest, not many about.
Guns

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » June 13, 2008, 5:27 pm

If you don't want to post his info... name, tphone no., etc, then please PM me Guns.
Stay atop the grass

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 13, 2008, 5:42 pm

I personally dislike attorneys but you need them and it has been my experience they charge you by the minute so when you call them and speak to them not the office girl you are billed for that time
like the old saying time is money so if you want my time you must pay me quite simple

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 13, 2008, 8:41 pm

If you don't want to post his info... name, tphone no., etc, then please PM me Guns
feel free to pencil me in on that attorney info also, you never know, thanks.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » June 13, 2008, 8:45 pm

laphanphon wrote:
If you don't want to post his info... name, tphone no., etc, then please PM me Guns
feel free to pencil me in on that attorney info also, you never know, thanks.
I'll take some of that action, too.
8)

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 13, 2008, 9:56 pm

I wil be looking for divorce soon(Thai wife gone long time) Like to know also! Hard to find trustworthy solicitor)

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » June 13, 2008, 10:15 pm

I too would be interested in hearing recommendations and testimonials of honest and competent Udon Thani attorneys.

Please identify the lawyers falangs should use when starting and operating a business in Udon Thani. Business counceling and document/contract preparation services will be needed in the near future.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 13, 2008, 11:14 pm

Ok my lawyer operates on the ring road, he personally does not speak english, however he can accomodate you and will do his best to deal with your problems, he is not cheap, but neither is a rip off chap.
Suggest visit with a Thai p[erson that can assist in intial transalation then he will advise and deal with you honestly.

Theerawat Srisamrit 0817083585
042 347914

Also my wifes step father is also a lawyer, not too expensive, but I do not use him to protect him mand me from accusations of corruption which thais love to use as a defence against anything that sounds if it is going against them.

His details are via me, I can assist or his wife as she speaks English enough to assist.
Hope this helps and assists you all.

Postscript, I have found my lawyer very honest and efficient, but I must say, honesty is always the best policy, many times farangs have problems but they do not tell the whole truth. lawyers are not clairvoiants, so speak to them. The Thai law seems to be in some cases convuluted, but that is law in many countries.
just my expereince, i am fighting a civil case involving land, and it waill take about 1-2 years, due to Thai courts lack of understanding about time. oh well I will probably win, but it ain't cheap folks.
Guns

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Re: Carefull with Rayrai Attorney!

Post by BKKSTAN » June 14, 2008, 5:17 am

sparky wrote:I know many coments pro and con on forum but she now charges you for a telephone call if you ask for a quote as well as any emails. Never heard of paying for a quote. Also unwilling to give a total price for specific work to be performed. FBI recomends a Udon Attorney anyone have experience with him? Thanks
This is the first criticism that I have heard about her!There are many people that I know that act very grateful that they know her and have had great success with her in the past!

Everyone might have different expectations of what they think is a good attorney and possibly what they think a Thai attorney should charge compared to the other costs involved with living in Thailand!

When it comes to serious medical care and serious legal matters,I want the best and most effective professional working for me!

What make a lawyer ''the best'' for me is her track record in dealing with members of the judiciary and the gov't authorities!My understanding is that Rayrai has seemingly immediate command and control in the Nong Khai area when dealing with the police.

The money that you save from her handling situations early and effective would more than justify the minor costs that sparky is annoyed about for me!
Sometimes ,I think that because Thai society,in general,doesn't understand time waste and it is easy for us to assume that all Thais should act like that!IMO,it shows that her time is valuable ,which ,to me,means that she has more time to be effective!

I have never heard of her cheating people or trying to rip them off,which is not true about several other law practices I have heard about!

Let me say that I have never met her!That my impression is fromseveral local expats that have used her and rave on and on about her!

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » June 14, 2008, 6:00 am

You pay for what you get, A Lawers office is incorrect, my Aussie lawer said we give advice from the books of law, "We are A Billing Office". my time your money

BKKSTAN is correct there, She would be my first port of call if in trouble with the police , but as for some land transactions most try to rip you off.

Cost me about B500 to get lease on land here, did it all my self, first 2 Lawers both Quoted B20,000, in Australia B4000 hour, 4 hours work B16000 to get lease on land, so here in Udon should be at least half price, will pay B10,000 to have lawer put lease on land, no takers, B20,000 no discount, both lawers pulled out the forms to fill out 2 pages, so It was not hard to fill out those formes at the Lands Office my self with GF and save B19,500.

Its a shame because if they charged B5000- B7000 they would get more farang using them more turnover cheaper price.

Have a nice Day

Master Builder
Master Builder

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 14, 2008, 6:55 am

Well it is nice to see positive comments coming about a lawyer that has been slated, however to each their own. maybe personality or some people just think that as most things are cheaper here lawyers charge too much. Well make your choice and be happy.
Guns

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » June 14, 2008, 7:52 am

Prior to my getting married to my current TW, I had a T/GF who was having some problems with her ex. We visited Rayrai at her office in Nong Khai and had a long discussion about the situation and she told us what she would do in our behalf. The cost would be 30K baht minimum. We declined her service (based on the amount of money required) and left. There was no charge for her service at that time.

The entire discussion was conducted in English and I feel this is her MAJOR attraction. Most farangs feel quite comfortable in her presence because she will keep you fully informed. I have also used the services of the attorney that Guns has suggested (for the same case) and he brought in a fellow for our meeting. The guy he brought in spoke English quite well and explained everything to me at the time. We retained the attorney and the charges for the lawyer and the interpretor was 5000 baht. After 2 court appearances, the charges were dropped :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 14, 2008, 8:28 am

There is no reason to pay someone more than you feel is right.But it takes some ''education'' and knowledge about the situation to determine the right person!

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » June 14, 2008, 1:22 pm

My only experience with Rayrai was positive.
I e-mailed her with a potential issue I had at the time (one year ago). She e-mailed me back a detailed reply. No charge for the consult. I will also add this was my first and only experience with her. The potential issue never materialized and resolved itself on it's own.

sparky
udonmap.com

Post by sparky » June 15, 2008, 7:08 am

1000 baht for a one minute email is a bit much.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » June 15, 2008, 11:01 am

Well I was going to stay in my cave and let things settle down a bit, before O stared posting again. But frankly I think this is very unfair.

You see a one minute e-mail. I see four years minimum in university learning a complex system. More years learning english well enough to explain that system in a foriegn language to her. If yuo are going to be adequate attorny is a lifetime of study. Knowing which courts react in certian ways and how to present to individual judges. Judges are just human beings and they all have thier own quirks, to represen someone properly yuo have to know those quirks.

Cheap no she is not cheap why would she be, her qaulifications are above the norm around here. I have used a translator with an attorney. That may or may not work depending on the translator. Remember you are then working on a third
parties determenation of what you are saying and back the other direction as well, lots of room for error. With her it's direct conversation in english and yuor qestions are answered directly.

I have used he services in three instances, one as a nogiator on a contract problem with a house I was trying to get built 5K baht for that meeting. I was convienced by another farrang to use a local Thai attorney here in town. Big mistake not because he is not a good lawyer. Because I can't talk to him and never know if he understands my questions and I'm actually the answer I want.

I have teswtifie in courts fro years, and have an extensive background in investigation. I was the one who found the evidence and eventually had to arganize the case. Nice guy with an extensive background in construction. But, lacked trial experience. I kept waiting for his questions, he never asked them. I mihgt a ewll have ben sitting in coffee shop chatting. The first rule is testifying in court is to answer the question a shut up and wait for the next one. Hard to do if no one is askng the questions. In this cas the judge finay ased them. The contractors attorney knew his way around. He wen for the throat everytime he could I was really impressed with him. But truth does tendto screw things up for losing attorney's.

What saved me Rayrai I paid her witness fee of 5K to testify about the original meeting. We won and is in appeal now for the guy on the land deal don't get in a hurry been three years now and more then likley will be another three years.

Rayria fees were a exactly the same as the Thai lawyers whom I couldn't speak to.

To this day getting a case status is like talking to wall. I'm not puting this guy down I like hm but hings are a they are.

The second time I used her services I was hit by a pickup on the bike a hit and run. We were taken to AEK the wife was admitted immediatly. AEK wa kind enogh to take me to the Police a station and report was filed. What he desk Sgt said to me is w4ll now yuo can drink more whiskey. Heck I had just been hot a pickuop, I domn't drink. That statemt told me waht I was really dealing with. The cops found the driver within two days. I was called by the cops to report to thier station to settle the matter. I told them I woudl call them back called Rayria at around 2100 hours she gave date she was available. Appeared with her and yuo guessed paid her 5k baht. No mention about whiskey and I got exactly what for in settlement.

Another rider I know had an accident called me at the police d esk they wanted him to pay 100K baht. I gave him Rayrai number she got the Chief on the phomne The farrang walked out wihtout paying one baht. But the other side of the coin he never paid anything at all. So maybe she finally got tired of working for farrangs for nothing and I don't blame her one bit.

I have personal knowledge in five different cases she has worked on, she won everyone of them. There are things that simple an you can really them yourself. But if it's serious I have card in my wallet all the time.

This is almost sounded like she is geing rich on farrangs anyone who has been to over knows she is not a rich person she from very humble home in Nong Khai.
Raria is one the most polite kind preson I have ever met in life But she has the courage of a lion. I watched the lawyers in my case try to put her in her place, referring to her in a meeting as the Puying, not councelor she shoved right up thier tales from them.

So if you want someone you can communicate with and understand whats going on. That won't back door you because the other parties Thai, will fight toothe and nail for you. Then she is an excellent attroney. If want to save thirty bucks hey don't bother waisting her time.

I will say this to the opriginal poster be very careful about what yuo say about Thai people especially naming them. There are in fact specific laws just for that purpose there used all the time. Rayrai is not a vengeful person and yuor lucky, maybe that was pretty tough. I guess you know if I was called upon to testify what I would have to say.

You here lots of rumor floating around, what I posted was first had personal knowledge not a rumor.

I'm sorry guys now I will go back to my cave where I belong but sometimes no matter what happens you just have to stand up for whats right.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 15, 2008, 11:42 am

Everyone that I know that have used her ,say the same kind of things!

I think that the title of this thread should be moderated to take the persons name out of it because it symbolizes a negative connotation about an individual that a minority of people would criticise!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 15, 2008, 12:12 pm

I am not sure if Rayrai would be all that upset if she read this thread Stan.
One negative post about her billing process.
Five positive posts about her ability to conduct a case in the best possible manner for her client...
For me it is a bit of a 'no brainer', if I ever get into a situation where I need legal representation then I will want to win!!!!! :D :D

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 15, 2008, 12:53 pm

I haven't checked recently, but it may be of use to some to know that the British Embassy, Bangkok used to have a list of solicitors, including location, whether English spoken, speciality etc. I'm not certain it was necessarily a RECOMMENDED list - perhaps only one containing names they hadn't heard anything bad about!

I did start to use two solicitors in Udon, but even with the help of a Thai who spoke good English, I wasn't convinced I'd be represented properly, understand what was going on and that it wouldn't be a moneymaking exercise for the solicitor. My feeling is these things are complicated enough in your home country and own language, never mind trying to understand the workings of a Thai court.

I did get excellent and patient advice over the 'phone from an employee of one Bangkok-based office, which regularly advertises in the Post. I do think you need a good English speaker.

IF you're formally married here (have the marriage document from the Amphoe), it might be worth considering the straightforward, if both parties agree, divorce procedure at the Amphoe. Depends what's at stake, whether you're fighting for possession of something etc. But if it's a case of you just wanting away and that you're 'happy' to make a cash settlement or agreement, the Amphoe can deal with that without involving a Court.

Fortunately, I was able to get my ex to take a small amount of money handed over at the Amphoe and divorce paper issued.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”