Information about Kumphawapi

General Udon Thani topics only!
User avatar
Frankie 1
udonmap.com
Posts: 842
Joined: February 5, 2007, 8:12 am
Location: Sakon Nakhon

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by Frankie 1 » June 14, 2013, 10:48 pm

Not much has changed in Kumphawapi.

There is the new Tesco Lotus.

The biggest change I saw during the past 5 years is an invasion of Farang in Kumphawapi.

The two Farang restaurants however couldn't survive, mainly due to a lack of customers, which doesn't surprise me at all (they are/were not so good at running a business in my opinion).

Anyway, a huge increase of Farang here already, not only in Udon town, but everywhere in the province.



farlong68
udonmap.com
Posts: 193
Joined: August 19, 2006, 11:57 pm
Location: oregon/thailand

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by farlong68 » June 15, 2013, 9:33 pm

thanks for the help guys I guess Ive gotta go down there in jan. next year and ck it out also with ban phai and possibly muang phon all in issan small quieter burgs all on the rail line north and south chok dee kup john

wayneor0
udonmap.com
Posts: 198
Joined: June 30, 2010, 6:54 am

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by wayneor0 » June 16, 2013, 8:54 am

ok mate ive been here 3 1/2 yrs .its a pretty poor area,quite and safe.hospital is dodgy.so if u can udon ones r better choice.there r no really good places to eat here.few falang live here and fewer more mix and mingle.we have a group of 4 that get togeather now and then.im ok but the other 3 r really sus lol anyway u r welcome to email me cheers

User avatar
Frankie 1
udonmap.com
Posts: 842
Joined: February 5, 2007, 8:12 am
Location: Sakon Nakhon

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by Frankie 1 » June 16, 2013, 11:24 am

wayneor0 wrote:ok mate ive been here 3 1/2 yrs .its a pretty poor area,quite and safe.hospital is dodgy.so if u can udon ones r better choice.there r no really good places to eat here.few falang live here and fewer more mix and mingle.we have a group of 4 that get togeather now and then.im ok but the other 3 r really sus lol anyway u r welcome to email me cheers
I disagree.

There are Farang everywhere in Kumphawapi, it's difficult to walk through the centre of Kumphawapi without seeing Farang almost every couple of minutes.

There are a number of very good Thai restaurants in Kumphawapi.

In the centre of town, close to the market, there is a coffee shop where Farang come regularly to meet other Farang and drink a cup of coffee.

The area is not poor anymore and is developing rapidly.

Quite a number of Farang live in Kumphawapi full time or part time, and live a quiet live with their family.

There is also a group of Germans, who meet regularly.

wayneor0
udonmap.com
Posts: 198
Joined: June 30, 2010, 6:54 am

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by wayneor0 » June 16, 2013, 5:15 pm

yes there r some rich people here but over all its a poor area compared to over towns same size.most of new development is trying to cash in on t/lotus.few new businesses last long,new shop kaput little time same year after year so they keep knocking up more new shops lol.we have eaten at all the likely looking food places but cant find anywhere that id want to go back to.so we mostly go to the food shop opp monkey park.there is one table outdoors or many inside with aircon.the food is good ,French fries good,beer prices fair,they also offer ice cream ,coffee etc but the service is tops and the thai lady boss is lovely.most falang have gone home now although there was a good bunch by the pool at kp hotel couple days ago.

User avatar
Frankie 1
udonmap.com
Posts: 842
Joined: February 5, 2007, 8:12 am
Location: Sakon Nakhon

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by Frankie 1 » June 16, 2013, 11:55 pm

wayneor0 wrote:yes there r some rich people here but over all its a poor area compared to over towns same size.most of new development is trying to cash in on t/lotus.few new businesses last long,new shop kaput little time same year after year so they keep knocking up more new shops lol.we have eaten at all the likely looking food places but cant find anywhere that id want to go back to.so we mostly go to the food shop opp monkey park.there is one table outdoors or many inside with aircon.the food is good ,French fries good,beer prices fair,they also offer ice cream ,coffee etc but the service is tops and the thai lady boss is lovely.most falang have gone home now although there was a good bunch by the pool at kp hotel couple days ago.
You only talk about some restaurant with bargirls. I haven't been there and have no interest in going there.

Obviously you haven't eaten in any of the good quality Thai food restaurants in Kumphawapi, or you don't know where to find them. There are lots of Farang, but you don't see them.

Up to you, if you only focus on your own negativity. I wonder why you still stay in Kumphawapi then.

wayneor0
udonmap.com
Posts: 198
Joined: June 30, 2010, 6:54 am

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by wayneor0 » June 17, 2013, 7:30 am

there r no bar girls at the food shop I wrote about.its more like a café.i just gave an honest report of my views after 3 1/2 yrs here.my wife who has been here all her life also shares same .facts r facts if u cant handle that I not care.

wayneor0
udonmap.com
Posts: 198
Joined: June 30, 2010, 6:54 am

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by wayneor0 » June 17, 2013, 7:47 am

frank tell us where the good eating places r.there r 4 of us that meet up 1 of which has been here 7 yrs and we r always at a loss where to go now that the French fry factory has shut.how long have u been here .give facts ,names

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11426
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by jackspratt » June 17, 2013, 8:20 am

wayneor0 wrote:there r no bar girls at the food shop I wrote about.its more like a café.i just gave an honest report of my views after 3 1/2 yrs here.my wife who has been here all her life also shares same .facts r facts if u cant handle that I not care.
wayne, do you post on UM via SMS?

Martin2
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: March 16, 2007, 10:11 pm
Location: Midway between Udon and Khon Kaen

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by Martin2 » June 17, 2013, 8:31 am

We live in the next township (Non Sa-at), so only go to Kumpawapi in the daytime if there is something that we need from there.

If we want a meal we go to a place that does excellent noodles ('kway teow'). Going down the main? street from the roundabout junction by the (original) 7-11, it is on the right about halfway down to the bottom roundabout junction.

Fifteen years ago I rarely saw another falang in K., but do see more now------and the newspaper vendor between the 7-11 and the market has usually already sold all the copies of the Bangkok Post so he must have a fair few falang customers!

About five years ago, there was a major academic paper on the subject of how much more affluent Isaan is now, and around the same time the United Nations Development Report on Thailand found that though Isaan was still the poorest region it had far less problems (of crime and so on) than other areas of Thailand and actually the highest overall 'quality of life'.

That paper can be found on the Internet by 'googling' for "Rainfed revolution in Northeast Thailand"
and here are the first paragraphs.

Rainfed Revolution in Northeast Thailand
Terry B. Grandstaff et al.

Abstract
The Northeast is still the poorest region in Thailand, but over the past two decades it has
experienced underappreciated major economic growth.
This growth has not been confined to urban areas, and living conditions in rural villages have improved.
Using Thai Government data and other sources, this report describes and analyzes changes that have
occurred.
More people now work in non-agricultural jobs, both permanently and part-time
with agriculture, and remittances from emigrants working outside the region have been of
great help.
But in farming households agricultural income has so far remained a very
major part of overall income, a principal reason why the majority of the population has
stayed in agriculture and rural villages became better off.
We argue that this occurred primarily because of agricultural breakthroughs after the adoption of the glutinous rice
variety RD,with the non-glutinous variety KDML playing a complementary commercial role.
Increased agricultural income helped make the villages more attractive settings for residence, joint investments and remittances, all of which ramified beyond the villages to help lift the economy of the region, and of the nation.

Keywords: Northeast Thailand, economic change, agricultural development, rainfed rice, RD,KDML,remittances

Introduction
The popular view of Northeast Thailand (Isan) seems to have changed little over the
years. As still portrayed in the media, impoverished farmers forever battle with poor
soils, droughts and floods that devastate their subsistence rice crops upon which their
livelihood depends. While the rest of Thailand develops, the Northeast lags behind,
trapped in rural poverty and increasingly disadvantaged.

Droughts and floods notwithstanding, this stereotypical view is much less true today.

In December 2007, the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security announced the
results of its new Human Security Index (similar to quality of life).
The press was very surprised to hear that the Northeastern provinces on average were rated the highest in the
country.
In a day or two the issue seemed to fade from notice.


Northeasterners are still, on average, less wealthy than those in other regions, but indicators such as GDP per capita probably overstate the difference (and the labor productivity gap has also been exaggerated).
The region is not, and may never be, a location of major industrial growth. Also, it has no seashore and fewer scenic mountains and forests that attract residents, businesses, visitors and retirees to other regions of Thailand. But this region, although still largely agricultural, has not been stagnating. In fact, it has had “one of the fastest growing
economies in the world,” markedly slow only when compared to places with very high growth like Bangkok and some East Asian countries.

Economic growth in the Northeast has been most noticeable in cities and their expanding suburbs, but rural villages have participated as well.
In fact, cities and rural villages no longer exhibit enormous differences in living conditions.

Almost all village households now have electricity, color televisions and electric fans.
Most have piped water (and safe drinking water, usually rainfed), and almost all have private bathrooms.

Most people have mobile phones.

Nearly three-quarters have refrigerators.
Wood and charcoal are still used in cooking, but over three-quarters also use electric cookers and over half
have gas stoves.

A large majority now own some type of motor vehicle, mostly motorcycles, but pick-up trucks are on the rise.

Most rural houses have been noticeably improved, and half or more have been reconstructed or newly built in a more modern, urban-type design.
M.V.Allinson

wayneor0
udonmap.com
Posts: 198
Joined: June 30, 2010, 6:54 am

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by wayneor0 » June 17, 2013, 10:45 am

jackspratt wrote:
wayneor0 wrote:there r no bar girls at the food shop I wrote about.its more like a café.i just gave an honest report of my views after 3 1/2 yrs here.my wife who has been here all her life also shares same .facts r facts if u cant handle that I not care.
wayne, do you post on UM via SMS?
mate I not even know how to sms.or even what it is.sry

User avatar
Frankie 1
udonmap.com
Posts: 842
Joined: February 5, 2007, 8:12 am
Location: Sakon Nakhon

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by Frankie 1 » June 17, 2013, 12:40 pm

wayneor0 wrote:there r no bar girls at the food shop I wrote about.its more like a café.i just gave an honest report of my views after 3 1/2 yrs here.my wife who has been here all her life also shares same .facts r facts if u cant handle that I not care.
Facts? No, only a biased opinion of one person. Furthermore, you have a history in Kumphawapi of not handling things, not me.

You live here 3 1/2 years, and are a former restaurant owner, but you don't seem to know much about restaurants in Kumphawapi. Strange. You write about facts, but you don't even know the town where you live very well.

Like I wrote, up to you.

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11426
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by jackspratt » June 17, 2013, 12:46 pm

wayneor0 wrote:
jackspratt wrote:
wayneor0 wrote:there r no bar girls at the food shop I wrote about.its more like a café.i just gave an honest report of my views after 3 1/2 yrs here.my wife who has been here all her life also shares same .facts r facts if u cant handle that I not care.
wayne, do you post on UM via SMS?
mate I not even know how to sms.or even what it is.sry
O.

I c.

User avatar
Frankie 1
udonmap.com
Posts: 842
Joined: February 5, 2007, 8:12 am
Location: Sakon Nakhon

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by Frankie 1 » June 17, 2013, 12:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:
wayneor0 wrote:
jackspratt wrote:
wayneor0 wrote:there r no bar girls at the food shop I wrote about.its more like a café.i just gave an honest report of my views after 3 1/2 yrs here.my wife who has been here all her life also shares same .facts r facts if u cant handle that I not care.
wayne, do you post on UM via SMS?
mate I not even know how to sms.or even what it is.sry
O.

I c.
You should hear him speak. I don't know what his problem is but I was never able to understand a word of what he said, or what language he spoke.

User avatar
Adhoc
udonmap.com
Posts: 390
Joined: February 21, 2009, 11:28 am

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by Adhoc » June 17, 2013, 9:52 pm

Frankie 1 wrote: You should hear him speak. I don't know what his problem is but I was never able to understand a word of what he said, or what language he spoke.

I would have thought it was obvious as to why Wayne (who, by the way,is a sound guy) is is not always easily understood:
he's Australian. And further to that, has spent time in New Zealand!! So there! :lol:

Not a very nice post, Mr. Frankie [-X

About Kumphawapi, There are a few nice Thai restaurants here, a couple of bars, and French Fries Factory will be re-opening in a week or two.

User avatar
kumphawapi
udonmap.com
Posts: 59
Joined: March 11, 2011, 3:09 pm

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by kumphawapi » June 19, 2013, 3:34 am

Kumphawapi is an excellent small town to live in. It has a grid of mostly wide streets that are mostly tree lined and has some of the most attractive streets of any small town in issan. The food market is thriving in spite of tesco, as the sugar factory contributes to it being quite a prosperous town - the gold shops do quite well.
It is a town for Thais, not europeans who want their own european culture, but that said it is full of europeans who integrate well with the Thai community and tend to hang about with their Thai friends and family. There is an excellent Thai social life if you want to join in.
It has good Internet and mostly good electrical, but water supply can be very iffy with a lot of outages recently.
There are many, many good local Thai restaurants, Korean style etc. European style charge too much for mediocre food.
Rubbish clearance works well. Have used local opticians, excellent service, modern equipment. haven't needed any other medical services. Wife's dentist just wanted to take teeth out. Don't think they has the skill to do anything more.
We often go out cycling at dawn, go to visit family in outlying villages, always feel safe.
Some europeans are a bit bored with their lives as they don't have anything to do, so think about how you will use your time.
land prices are a bit expensive in town in spite of large numbers of derelict properties, but families hang on to their land as they cannot agree what to do with them, or they may retire there in the distant future.
Regular buses run to Udon for a day out. No local hire car that has proper insurance. Some properties built by europeans now for sale by ex wives outisde town, no thai wants to live there - social life is all in town.

farlong68
udonmap.com
Posts: 193
Joined: August 19, 2006, 11:57 pm
Location: oregon/thailand

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by farlong68 » June 21, 2013, 1:38 am

thanks everyone for your helpful input look forward to visiting in late jan or early feb cheers all john

User avatar
Frankie 1
udonmap.com
Posts: 842
Joined: February 5, 2007, 8:12 am
Location: Sakon Nakhon

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by Frankie 1 » June 21, 2013, 10:51 am

Some restaurants in Kumphawapi town:

If you go down to the right from the market, Chaelae Road, then after abouut 50 meters on the left side of the road (past the SCB bank) there is the popular Korean style grill/hotpot buffet restaurant.

About 50 meters further down the road on the right side, there is a Thai restaurant called Tradaaw. Excellent food.

If you turn at the traffic lights (the three way intersection near Tesco Lotus), onto Rob Mueang road, then after about a kilometer there is a highschool on the left side of the road. Opposite that highschool (on the right side of the street) there is a good quality Thai restaurant (specialized in fish dishes, but you can order any Thai dish).

Next to the French Fries restaurant (which still seems to be closed), Yim Prasit road, there is a restaurant which is specialized in Pad Thai. Also delicious.

West Ham Dave
udonmap.com
Posts: 19
Joined: April 30, 2013, 4:46 pm
Location: Penang or Ayyuthaya

Information about Kumphawapi

Post by West Ham Dave » July 20, 2013, 1:28 pm

The last time I was in Kumphawapi was 2005 , I lived at the Pandon end about 1K from the freeway. There was not a lot there then and i only recall 2 expats there , Simon whose missus had a bar (Thai Style) and another Dave from Rochdale ,if i recall correctly. I ended up staying there during the week and staying up in Udon for the weekend. Can seem a long way from civilization out there at times

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”