LOUD megaphone

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
KB_Texas

LOUD megaphone

Post by KB_Texas » August 31, 2012, 1:40 pm

Does anyone know where to buy a LOUD megaphone? We have a neighbor that has a little dog that barks incessantly, for hours at a time. It is very annoying. We have tried polite requests to the owner to teach the dog to shut up, to no avail. So, MAYBE if every time the silly little mutt barks for more than 10 minutes, if I hollered MAA - YUT! into a turned up megaphone, it would annoy THEM enough to do something about the dog! Any ideas?

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by parrot » August 31, 2012, 1:57 pm

KB, when we lived in town our neighbor had a doberman that barked incessantly when the owners went out. We noticed one day, the owners went out but a visiting niece stayed home and watched TV. The dog was quiet. We suggested the owners keep a radio on when out.....that did the trick.

douglas
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by douglas » August 31, 2012, 2:14 pm

Hi,
KB i know what you mean, but i don't think you will have any success, if they not bothered by the dog barking, they won't be bothered by you shouting at them. From what i have seen, living here for the last 7 years. The Thai way of walking a dog is to open the gate and let the dogs out by themselves.
My dog is half Rot. so i let him out when the dogs started to come round my place. He seen a few of them off and we don't have any more trouble. Thank God. Best thing i have every done. When the other dogs go past they go to the other side of the road.
I must say some times my dog barks in the early hours, but i go out and see why, and then he is quiet. It is funny that it is the little dogs that bark the most.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by FrazeeDK » August 31, 2012, 3:36 pm

I wonder if you could get a PA megaphone and blow a dog whistle over it??? Then every time the little mutt barks you could blow like hell on that dog whistle thus hurting its ears and perhaps getting it to associate the pain with barking getting it to stop..
Dave

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by JimboPSM » August 31, 2012, 5:02 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:I wonder if you could get a PA megaphone and blow a dog whistle over it??? Then every time the little mutt barks you could blow like hell on that dog whistle thus hurting its ears and perhaps getting it to associate the pain with barking getting it to stop..
That seems like an ideal solution as it wouldn’t antagonise the two legged neighbours while (hopefully) providing a lesson to the four legged neighbour.

From a technical perspective my main reservation would be whether megaphones are capable of amplifying the high frequency of dog whistles.

Extract about dog whistles and hearing from Wikipedia:
The range of human hearing is typically considered to be between 20 Hz and 18 kHz....
The frequency of most dog whistles is within the range of 23 to 54 kHz...
The top end of a dog's hearing range is about 45 kHz...

Full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_whistle
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

KB_Texas

LOUD megaphone

Post by KB_Texas » August 31, 2012, 5:34 pm

Yeah, I would think that megaphones would not have that dynamic range. Even some pretty good microphones only go to about 24kHz, with most of them topping out at 20kHz. A quick scan of dynamic range of megaphones looks like a few claim 20kHz, but most claim 14kHz.

KB

bluejets
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by bluejets » August 31, 2012, 6:08 pm

I've noticed very few dogs there like water. So maybe a squirt bottle, or the hose.

rct
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by rct » August 31, 2012, 6:31 pm

I would like one installed in my car, press a button and it would blare out

"Stop for that red light, jerk!"

JR
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by JR » August 31, 2012, 7:27 pm

A slingshot or an airgun and plastic bullets work wonders on barking dogs.

KB_Texas

LOUD megaphone

Post by KB_Texas » August 31, 2012, 7:47 pm

The problem with water, bb's etc. is that the dog is not just over the fence...it is across the road, and usually on their screened in porch. So I guess I will try the diplomatic route again and suggest Parrot's idea of a radio to see if that shuts the mutt up. Hell, I will even buy them the radio!

KB

Jello
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by Jello » August 31, 2012, 8:14 pm

Polite requests don't work :mad: and any aggressive actions will be met with "pay-back" later :shock: , so....
free image hosting
Bose noise cancelling headphones. Great for when your neighbors have a all night karaoke party too!
Just under $300.00 US, and worth every penny! Put on some smooth jazz, have a nightcap and chill. 8)
UFF DA!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by jackspratt » August 31, 2012, 8:18 pm

Jello wrote:Polite requests don't work :mad: and any aggressive actions will be met with "pay-back" later :shock: , so....
free image hosting
Bose noise cancelling headphones. Great for when your neighbors have a all night karaoke party too!
Just under $300.00 US, and worth every penny! Put on some smooth jazz, have a nightcap and chill. 8)
Chocolate is a lot cheaper. :D

KB_Texas

LOUD megaphone

Post by KB_Texas » August 31, 2012, 8:37 pm

Heh, already have noise canceling headphones...but that is total defeat when you have to give up the ambiance you've built at your place (running water, wind chimes, etc) because the neighbors won't discipline their dog! If the little sucker did not sound like one of those toys you buy in the airport for 3 year olds, it wouldn't be so bad. Big dogs tend to shut up after a bit...this little mutt is like he uses Energizer batteries, and the rabbit just keeps going and going and going. :(

KB

Jello
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by Jello » August 31, 2012, 9:02 pm

If the owner is at all interested in solving the barking problem you might offer to buy him a anti-barking collar:
http://www.amazon.com/Petsafe-GentleSpr ... B0002D31QU
free picture hosting
Or offer to buy the dog from him and then find a home for it (far away). :-"
UFF DA!

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by Panty Hamster » August 31, 2012, 9:08 pm

Easiest answer is to not live around anyone else.
Lot of others will deride you and laugh about your decision to live in the sticks.
I took good advice and listened to others. I lived in Udon for a year before building.
It took me one week before making my mind. The incessant noise and maddening din was enough.
Why anyone might put up with that madness .... is a mystery. Enjoy your paradise.

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by Panty Hamster » August 31, 2012, 9:28 pm

Why would any person think this primitive method might result in anything other than angst among neighbors?

Any farang that lives within shouting distance of a Thai household is merely asking for it.

Go find a nice quiet place where you're closest neighbor is at least 100 meters away and buy some land. It really is that simple. You know they're horrible neighbors, you know they're incapable of controlling their dogs, you know they're prone to noisy karaoke parties and imbecile putt-putt idiots.

Mod Note: This post has been edited due to violation of the forum rules.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

LOUD megaphone

Post by pienmash » August 31, 2012, 9:31 pm

KB

accidently reverse your truck over the dog in question ,,,,,,,making sure its not inside the owners house at the time .

Have agree with panty hamster on this one ,,,, i dream of the day i can live in the middle of a field miles from anywhere and anyone else ,,, i love having the shop and meeting a myriad of different folks everyday ,,,,,,,,but sometimes i just want to be away from it all ,, me , bisto who doesnt bark , a razzle and a case of Magners .

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by merchant seaman » September 1, 2012, 7:57 am

A nice juicy aussie strip loin steak from Chern Chim's.....laced of course

Prenders88
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by Prenders88 » September 1, 2012, 8:41 am

Raisins mixed in a bowl of dog food.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

LOUD megaphone

Post by wilson_smith » September 10, 2012, 4:59 am

KB_Texas wrote:Does anyone know where to buy a LOUD megaphone? We have a neighbor that has a little dog that barks incessantly, for hours at a time. It is very annoying. We have tried polite requests to the owner to teach the dog to shut up, to no avail. So, MAYBE if every time the silly little mutt barks for more than 10 minutes, if I hollered MAA - YUT! into a turned up megaphone, it would annoy THEM enough to do something about the dog! Any ideas?

KB
LOL...bow wow sow wow! :shock:

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”